Elliptical Trainer

Eunie

Reaction score
I'm new to this machine, but I 'm falling in love with it. I think it's easy on my knees.
The only concern is that I feel like I am not really working out...It's just different than treadmill...
Do you think elliptical trainer is still effective?
Have anyone had a good result with this machine?

Any advice would be appreciated! :lol:

I use the elliptical trainer Eunie. I can't run because it is too hard on my back. The elliptical does work. Try using the different settings. The hill settings (especially interval) will give you the best workout.

I use it too. Trust me, that thing will work! I can't run because of my knees so this thing is a godsend!

I went from a size 8 to a 2 last year and I owe it all to the elliptical machine. :blush:

i;ve been on one of those but it always confuses me

im never sure if im supposed to use my arms or legs to move it.....so i do a bit of both :lol:

:shock: what is an 'elliptical trainer' i'm clueless :ninja:

you kinda stand on bits like ski's
and you have hand bits like ski poles......

and you rock it like a rocking chair......so your legs and arms go back and forth

Like this (there are many different ones)

Eclipse_4000_Elliptical_Trainer.jpg

I love that machine! I love running but it's hard on my knees & ankles...
Anyway, I work out (hi-intensity) for an hour and I "supposedly" burn between 900-1000 calories everytime. Of course those numbers are never right b/c it does not take your body type/age into consideration. A 50 yr old, 140 lb woman is going to burn a different amount of calories than a 25 yrs old, 140 lb woman.

ohhh Thank you gals.
I feel so much better after I read all the replies.
Hope I will get some good result out of elliptal trainer!

P.S.Ling!! Size 8 to 2???You go girl!

they are wonderful! depending on your fitness...1-2 weeks will tone you hips and thighs dramaticaly...tightens them right up. jeans that were tight can slip on no problem after 2 weeks....like, 3 belt holes smaller .......fantastic for hamstrings shapes your butt but doesn't make it BIGGER. yeah...i started going to the gym when i hurt my knees and couldn't run anymore...the eliptical is so fantastic!

nora

I luv that machine too... i'm such a girl but it's first point fo call when i go the gym, after warming up that is, usually go on at the end of my sesh there too each time for 20 mins and on the mountain setting.

bump up the resistance to get a really good workout. it's way too easy otherwise. better to go slower with a high resistance than to go faster with a low resistance. i'd recommend at least a 5.

...Don't know about that, Lush. Higher resistance with fewer reps is supposed to bulk up your muscles whereas lower resistance, going faster makes you long and lean.

I've done both ways...and honestly, I don't notice a difference.

Update, though...exactly 2 weeks ago, I started back at the gym on the eliptical and I've dropped 5 pounds and it's been easy! :-)

Nora

^^^
trust me nora, as a female there is no way you can "bulk up" without steroids. our bodies don't naturally produce enough testosterone for that. it's better to turn up the resistance on any cardio machine. you should def. notice a difference in your thighs and butt after doing so. if you don't raise the resistance level then you're going to plateau and quit seeing improvement altogether.

Originally posted by Lush@Jul 8th, 2003 - 12:00 pm
^^^
trust me nora, as a female there is no way you can "bulk up" without steroids. our bodies don't naturally produce enough testosterone for that.
What about Britney-bulk? I mean, not like she looks like a bodybuilder or anything, but I would still prefer to be leaner than she is.

britney's problem is genetics. although it wouldn't surprise me to hear that she takes performance-enhancing drugs. :innocent:

seriously though, using a higher resistance on an elliptical trainer is nothing to be afraid of. :wink: it's not going to give you britney thighs.

Originally posted by Eunie@May 29th, 2003 - 7:19 pm
I'm new to this machine, but I 'm falling in love with it. I think it's easy on my knees.
The only concern is that I feel like I am not really working out...It's just different than treadmill...
Do you think elliptical trainer is still effective?
Have anyone had a good result with this machine?

Any advice would be appreciated! :lol:
Yes! It's the best machine ever. It works you out harder than a treadmill or bike. You burn more calories. I think this is what people love about it. It doesn't kill you because you are working out your arms and legs but you are burning fat and getting good cardio!

**btw, they say Britney doesn't use weights on her legs but I don't believe that.I would be that she does or she did. A small amount of weights for toning is good though :wink:

well I hate to admit this since you all think she is so vulgar and ugly, but I find that I have "athletic" looking or "britney-like" legs. i can't really help it...i've always been a medium build in that way. I could lose maybe five pounds, but really, honestly, I'm not fat. I think if someone were describing me they would say i was "fit" before they would call me "thin", though they'd nevercall me chubby in any way. i'm curvier and more muscular i guess. And I don't use weights on my legs...just walk ALOT and exercise a bit. i've always had very defined calves, also...not really big, but very toned whether or not i exercise. so i guess you guys would think i am hideous. oh well, i suppose, be glad you don't have to look in the mirror and see me.

nora

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->