Elliptical Trainer

I want one really badly, but I haven't yet convinced my parents :cry:
I tried it when I was on holidays in Spain (the hotel had a large fitness room) and I absolutely loved it as it was less exhausting than running and I still felt rather fit afterwards. :lol:

Eliptical trainers are great on joints, but my trainer at the gym says that the treadmill is the best machine out there for cardio. You use more of your own energy and balance, and it's been around longer and has had more studies done on it to ensure that you get an accurate account of how many calories you're actually burning. Apparently the read out you get from many eliptical trainers are way off. IMO if you want to lose serious weight, running your *** off(literally) not jogging, will get you into shape.

MikChick said:
Can you tell me more about it?

How many times a week and stuff? and how long at a time?

Wow, what a coincidence that this is the first time I've checked this thread since I last posted that! :blink:

I used the elliptical for an hour a day, 5 times a week.

^ Thanks for your answer!!!

I hope i can be that sportive and have enough discipline to do that...

honeyisle said:
Eliptical trainers are great on joints, but my trainer at the gym says that the treadmill is the best machine out there for cardio. You use more of your own energy and balance, and it's been around longer and has had more studies done on it to ensure that you get an accurate account of how many calories you're actually burning. Apparently the read out you get from many eliptical trainers are way off. IMO if you want to lose serious weight, running your *** off(literally) not jogging, will get you into shape.

Running puts serious stress on the knees. I'm not saying people shouldn't do it (I used to run a lot) but I think it's good to mix it up.

I would like to have one. Maybe someday I could afford it. I'm really paranoid of hurting my joints.

I bought a lower-end recumbant bike for myself (a great deal at $170) last year. I heard they were good for poor backs, but I don't know if it helps me that much. Sometimes I feel like I got a little ripped off. I still haven't lost weight with it. :( But I only use it on-and-off.

An elliptical trainer sounds more active, which I quite like. I used my mom's nordic track for a while and liked being up-right. I guess I prefer to be a little agressive. :boxer:

If you're healthy and stretch or warm up properly running shouldn't damage your joints. My aunt is 48 and has been running all her life, looks amazing and has no joint poblems. Running also builds bone density since it's a weight bearing (your own)exercise which I like about it. I'm looking for more than just a cardio workout, I also want to build strength and some musle, so I run uphill part of the way. I also think it's good to mix it up but the eliptical isn't as challenging for me, so I do it once a week on an off day. Everyone is different of course. I find that running brings the "six pack" out faster:smile:

This is possibly the best bet in terms of consistant cardio, when I had access to the gym I would go on the elliptical for an hour, stretch/jumping jacks, cycle for 10 minutes then back again for 30 mins 3 times a week. Fantastic workout. I'll definitely get back on that during bikini season. :P I find the treadmill to be absolute horror.

Last edited by a moderator:
^depends on your diet, how hard you work out, how often, etc. Probably like 1.5-2 lbs. a week if you work out a few times that week and cut out the junk food.

ling* said:
^depends on your diet, how hard you work out, how often, etc. Probably like 1.5-2 lbs. a week if you work out a few times that week and cut out the junk food.

thank you:flower:

I've been using the elliptical machine for about 8 years now. It definitely helps keeping me toned. I combine it with walking a couple times a week as well.

How about walking on a treadmill? Like power walking, using your arms and all, anywhere from 3.5 to 4.0 miles an hour (I like 3.7 or 3.8 personally and I'm 5'2"). It's my preferred alternative to either running on the treadmill or using an eliptical and I find it to be very effective, though I've been doing it for an hour every day, I think it requires more time than running. It is -a lot- less exhausting than running, for those looking for an alternative. I feel energized after rather than collapsing, lol.

My trainer made me warm up on the treadmill w/ walking and then have me do the elliptical. The overall workout you get from elliptical outweighs the workout you get from treadmills. With elliptical you work your entire body as for treadmill you only work the lower extremities.

The calorie counts varies in all machines. You really don't know the general accuracy.

Treadmill hurts the joints whereas, the elliptical doesn't.

With my experience with elliptical the cardio is best with this machine.
But i think it depends on how good the machine is. State of the art elliptical might be best while another mediocre elliptical machine isn't.

honeyisle said:

ling you are my new role model
just ordered one of these
i dont have the best diet when actually it aint bad but being only 19 i drink alot of alcohol so im going to do 2 hours a day 6 days a week, hopefully ill get down atleast a few sizes wow that would be good, ill keep you all updated

Specific Machines

Everyone is saying such great things about these machines. Can you recommend a specific machine. Or tell me theh pros and cons about your type? (i'm looking to invest in a good one at a decent price)

SarahJayne87 said:
ling you are my new role model
just ordered one of these
i dont have the best diet when actually it aint bad but being only 19 i drink alot of alcohol so im going to do 2 hours a day 6 days a week, hopefully ill get down atleast a few sizes wow that would be good, ill keep you all updated

2 hours a day ? 6 times a week? you're crazy :shock:

^ I was reading an article about the current Ms. Philippines-Universe (representative for the Ms. Universe pageant, of course) and for 2 months, that's what she did, 2-3/6x a week along with a high-protein, low-cab diet as well as pilates. Apparently it worked, as you can see when you look at her. :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->