Elliptical Trainer

I'm a fan and user of elliptical trainer. I had to use it because of my knee. had a sports accident and my sports doctor told me to use it instead of the treadmill (but that's besides the point)..... i used to run and sprint alot, now i rarely do :cry: , anyhoo, i'd do 1 to 2hrs straight on high. i'm thin and lean as is and got thinner when using it!:unsure: so now, i had to tone it down to 1 hr. straight on 50 to 60 --quick button and eat McDonalds Whopper or Big Mac meals or something to put weight on afterwards on the advice of my doc. lol because if i dont i'd look anorexic. B)

I prefer the elliptical. I struggle on a treadmill and running gives me shin splits quite easily where as I enjoy the elliptical a lot more. We just got new machines at my gym and so these ones have arm things on which I use because it's a better workout (the treadmills have built in fans in them which is quite cool though). I also like to little mini exercizes while i'm going, like standing on the balls of my feet for a minute or turning my feet slightly outward so I'm working my inner thigh more.

k... using the elliptical.. wat kind of programs do u do on it... ?? and wat level..cuz ive switched from elliptical since it wasn't relaly doing nething for me..to treadmill...where i sweat tons.. i want to lose weight... need to lost 20 lbs..

I find elliptical great too because I also get terrible shin splints from running. Treadmills are just horrible for me.

smartarse 1-2 hours! Wow thats a lot..the longest I've done is 45 minutes. The weight loss interval is great. I just don't know how to set the resistance..since it moves up occassionally...I just set it at 5 at the beginning? I guess that should be alright? Maybe I should try 2 hours? I want to do the going backwards thing but it feels so weird on the one with the moving arms you know? Maybe I should use the ones with stable arms instead...or just not use the arms(there are little regular stable handles on it as well)

2 hrs!!!! man dont kill youself ShuggaStiletto!!!! We need you still!!! :wink:

yup... i do 1 hour straight. For me that's the best. I don't recommend it for everyone unless you get an approval from your doc B)

there's a new elliptical machine , Cybex or something like that. I always do the arms as well. Awesome feeling. Everything about the elliptical is great. It works the entire body without stressing your joints, so it is better than the treadmill.

I do both forward and backward movement. Always do. And i recommend it. And most of the time I do the QUICK START and crank up the levels.

Only do the 2hrs if it's not peak time. IF we both go to the same gym, I will have to complain for monopolizing the machine. :P

ShuggaStiletto said:
I find elliptical great too because I also get terrible shin splints from running. Treadmills are just horrible for me.

smartarse 1-2 hours! Wow thats a lot..the longest I've done is 45 minutes. The weight loss interval is great. I just don't know how to set the resistance..since it moves up occassionally...I just set it at 5 at the beginning? I guess that should be alright? Maybe I should try 2 hours? I want to do the going backwards thing but it feels so weird on the one with the moving arms you know? Maybe I should use the ones with stable arms instead...or just not use the arms(there are little regular stable handles on it as well)

yup. the Elliptical is the hi-tech version of the Nordic Track B)

Acid said:
you kinda stand on bits like ski's
and you have hand bits like ski poles......

and you rock it like a rocking chair......so your legs and arms go back and forth

I am so excited because I just bought my own! It was 65% off at Dick's Sporting Goods, so I paid $500, which is a steal for an elliptical machine. The thing that sucks about it though is that it gives you all the info except for how many calories I burn! :cry: Anyone know the typical amount of calories an hour on the machine would burn off?

are you sure it doesn't have a calorie count? did you try it first? it usually will pop up when you start peddling (if it's the older version).

cosmogrl5 said:
I am so excited because I just bought my own! It was 65% off at Dick's Sporting Goods, so I paid $500, which is a steal for an elliptical machine. The thing that sucks about it though is that it gives you all the info except for how many calories I burn! :cry: Anyone know the typical amount of calories an hour on the machine would burn off?

I used to be an utter slave to the elliptcal, I'd do six miles basically every day. I used it so much I just got burnt out by it, so I am currently giving it a rest. I have been exploring other machines like the crossramp and stairmaster and combining them with a couple miles on the elliptical. Very nice results. :D
What I do is the manual course and just up the resistance to my standards. I also rotate peddling forwards or backwards every .50 miles.

smartarse said:
are you sure it doesn't have a calorie count? did you try it first? it usually will pop up when you start peddling (if it's the older version).

I've used it 3 times already, and there is definitely no calorie counter. How weird is that? It gives my heart rate, time, miles, and intensity level-- that's it. I am bummed out about the calorie thing. :(

bigb3n said:
2 hrs!!!! man dont kill youself ShuggaStiletto!!!! We need you still!!! :wink:

I'll try not to hahaha I just hate being so out of shape from being sick and it's summertime. I don't look so cute :(

I am an elliptical fanatic. Running doesn't come so easy for me but I on the elliptical I can go an hour or more, everyday.

Let's not let ourselves become slaves to just elliptical machines or any machines, for that matter. In order to lose a pound there , an inch here, you must combine excercise with proper diet. And don't subject yourselves to just one routine or machine. For that the results will show. B)

I want to try one really bad! Maybe I can convince my grandparents to buy one and then I can use it:lol:

I just got off my machine. I had such an awesome workout! It really burns so much more when you keep increasing the intensity throughout rather than going at one steady pace. I find that I have a better workout also when I listen to my iPod versus watching television. I guess it gets me more pumped up, but for some reason, it makes the time on the machine really fly by quickly.

Bonchic, definitely check the flyers that come in the newspaper on Sundays for good deals on the machines. I found mine when I was searching through the flyer for "Dick's Sporting Goods" and got it at 65% off! :D

^awesome thanks for the tip:wink: What should I look for in a good elliptical trainer machine?

Bonchic said:
^awesome thanks for the tip:wink: What should I look for in a good elliptical trainer machine?

I definitely advise going into the store and trying them out. Most sporting goods stores have models on display. Trying them will help you determine which one feels most comfortable to you. One important thing to look for is that it is sturdy and well-made. You don't want such an expensive item to fall apart on you...plus, it wouldn't be very fun if it collapsed while you were on it! :lol: Also make sure that the computer screen has everything you are looking for. I made the mistake of NOT doing this, and I did not know that my machine doesn't have a calorie counter. I'll keep a look out and let you know if any national chains have sales. :D

Ive just got one and im really excited! how long should i train for as im a bit outa shape:blush: !im just hoping it will give me lovely lean legs!!

ling* said:
I went from a size 8 to a 2 last year and I owe it all to the elliptical machine. :blush:

Can you tell me more about it?

How many times a week and stuff? and how long at a time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->