Fashion's Troubled Times

Reaction score
Very interesting article!

By Timothy Hagy

Backstage after the Lanvin show late Sunday afternoon, when most editors were feeling the strain of two months of endless fashion shows, Suzy Menkes was sipping champagne while reaching for a tray of macaroons. "I haven't even had a day of weeks," she said. "And since the New York Times isn't publishing things, I've got to get something up about Gucci."

The thing about Gucci - well that was the bitter final volley that marked Tom Ford's swan song collection for Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, a subsidiary of the Group. The war of words between Mr. Ford and Serge Weinberg, CEO of PPR (Pinault-Printemps-Redoute), which owns 67.3% of Gucci, was bitterly played out in the media.

The most interesting part of the story, however, is told only off the record. PPR's executive staff balked at the enormous salary demand made by Mr. Ford during contract negotiations last fall, while both François-Henri Pinault and Mr. Weinberg were adamant that Ford relinquish artistic control of the company's consortium of labels (including Saint Laurent), in order to concentrate exclusively on Gucci. The reason? The trail always leads to money. The truth is that Gucci accessories earn the profits that have been used to offset losses at YSL, which is still in the red, Balenciaga, where sales are abysmal, and Stella McCartney and Alexander McQueen, both struggling. Sources have indicated that sales of Saint Laurent are absolutely flat, with days (not hours) passing between purchases at the Place Saint Sulpice boutique.

In the end, PPR decided to cut the losses. The company has chosen four successors to Mr. Ford: Stefano Pilati, formerly No.2 at YSL, will take the top spot, while three unknown designers have been recruited internally for Gucci: Alessandra Fachinetti for women's wear, John Ray for men's wear and Alfreda Giannini for accessories.

But perhaps on a deeper level Tom Ford's departure is reflective of an organic change in the fashion industry. The days of the high flying star designer, touring the world in a private jet, and turning out collections driven by sex and glitz have fallen victim to changing times. The world in 2004 is a completely different place than it was in the early 1990s when Mr. Ford revived Gucci, and to some extent, the pace of change has accelerated in the wake of 9/11. For good or bad, this is a more conservative era, where executives in the fashion world go more carefully, thinking twice before investing in new ideas or fated conquests. Companies with a name are more inclined to safely market the label, rather than the person behind it. Witness Calvin Klein, where Francisco Costa is doing what he can with little support. Or Bill Blass, where Lars Nilsson was fired last year with 24 hours notice - though he's arguably had better success at his new home, Nina Ricci.

Even at Chanel, retailers have the jitters. "He was trying to look young," confided Menkes. "It was certainly not his best work, and from a retail standpoint it's going to be a disaster." That might explain the glum look on the face of many a buyer when the Chanel show ended last Friday. Up until now, Karl Lagerfeld has had free reign, but with his contract set to expire only in 2010, the powers that be will almost certainly be looking more closely. Sydney Toledano, President of Dior Couture, who has been acting as consultant to another troubled LVMH holding, Fendi, sat front row at the Lagerfeld Gallery show the day before, examining every detail that went down the catwalk.

At Hermès, not one American buyer came away with a thing good to say about Jean Paul Gaultier's premier collection for the label, held at the Equestrian riding school of the École Militaire (where young recruits in tight pants providing entertainment). Selling leather corsets and whips, with a strong sadomasochistic streak, is perhaps more difficult than pushing the scarves and sacks that have traditionally ridden to the rescue.

At Dior, clauses have been added to the contracts of both John Galliano and Hedi Slimane, tying their salary and bonuses directly to the earnings their respective collections generate. Is it any wonder that Dior invited all guests to a second showing of the Ready-to-Wear accessory line, and kept the Avenue Montaigne headquarters open on Sunday to do it?

Elsewhere, three straight years of falling sales did Julien McDonald in at Givenchy, though the Welsh designer got the last laugh in the end. Suddenly panicked LVMH officials asked him to stay on until a successor had been named. His answer was, quite simply, 'au revoir'.

But back to the big story, that of Tom Ford's departure from the fashion stage. One could make the argument that he fell victim to the same pitfalls that have long plagued others who practice the business of marketing allusion. As times change, so must the people who orchestrate it all. In the 1950 classic film "Sunset Boulevard", starring Gloria Swanson and William Holden, Billy Wilder blends fact and fiction to expose the price of fame, greed, narcissism, and ambition that runs just below the surface of Hollywood, and dare one add, the fashion industry.

So as Tom sits in his Beverly Hills playboy mansion, counting his millions made on stock options and awaiting his facial and botox refresher, perhaps he can pop in a DVD.

Then, as now, Nora Desmond's immortal words ring out:

Joe: You're Norma Desmond. You used to be in silent pictures. You used to be big.
Norma (bristling:( I am big. It's the pictures that got small.

Timothy is a freelance journalist living in Paris. He is the French correspondent for fashionlines.com. He can be reached at [email protected].

Originally posted by chickonspeed@Mar 11th, 2004 - 7:02 pm
Even at Chanel, retailers have the jitters. "He was trying to look young," confided Menkes. "It was certainly not his best work, and from a retail standpoint it's going to be a disaster." That might explain the glum look on the face of many a buyer when the Chanel show ended last Friday.

At Hermès, not one American buyer came away with a thing good to say about Jean Paul Gaultier's premier collection for the label, held at the Equestrian riding school of the École Militaire (where young recruits in tight pants providing entertainment). Selling leather corsets and whips, with a strong sadomasochistic streak, is perhaps more difficult than pushing the scarves and sacks that have traditionally ridden to the rescue.

At Dior, clauses have been added to the contracts of both John Galliano and Hedi Slimane, tying their salary and bonuses directly to the earnings their respective collections generate. Is it any wonder that Dior invited all guests to a second showing of the Ready-to-Wear accessory line, and kept the Avenue Montaigne headquarters open on Sunday to do it?

Elsewhere, three straight years of falling sales did Julien McDonald in at Givenchy, though the Welsh designer got the last laugh in the end. Suddenly panicked LVMH officials asked him to stay on until a successor had been named. His answer was, quite simply, 'au revoir'.

great article, thanks for posting chickonspeed

i especially loved the re-quoted bits here :evil: :evil:

Thank you for posting this :flower: I agreed with their assessment of the fashion industry:

But perhaps on a deeper level Tom Ford's departure is reflective of an organic change in the fashion industry. The days of the high flying star designer, touring the world in a private jet, and turning out collections driven by sex and glitz have fallen victim to changing times. The world in 2004 is a completely different place than it was in the early 1990s when Mr. Ford revived Gucci, and to some extent, the pace of change has accelerated in the wake of 9/11. For good or bad, this is a more conservative era, where executives in the fashion world go more carefully, thinking twice before investing in new ideas or fated conquests. Companies with a name are more inclined to safely market the label, rather than the person behind it.

I wish people would stop blaming 9/11 for EVERYTHING

Originally posted by faust@Mar 11th, 2004 - 7:24 pm
i agree, still, these tragic events did change the way we live and style ourselves,
there's been a huge psychological impact both in global spending, conciousness and taste

Originally posted by Lena+Mar 11th, 2004 - 11:28 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lena @ Mar 11th, 2004 - 11:28 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-faust@Mar 11th, 2004 - 7:24 pm
i agree, still, these tragic events did change the way we live and style ourselves,
there's been a huge psychological impact both in global spending, conciousness and taste [/b][/quote]
I don't know, I would attribute it to the general economic downturn which started at least a year before 9/11 (granted that 9/11 contributed to it). It's just become such an easy thing to throw around, 9/11 responsible for this, 9/11 responsible for that. Anyway, did not mean to get off topic :flower:

Greate article, thanks for posting:smile:

So money has not just "killed" the avant-garde, it dethrones the stars too.

Originally posted by nqth@Mar 11th, 2004 - 12:28 pm
Greate article, thanks for posting:smile:

So money has not just "killed" the avant-garde, it dethrones the stars too.
stars to us, employees to the shareholders

Originally posted by Timothy Hagy article

Not one American buyer? What about:

1. "FULL GALLOP: Neiman Marcus executives were out in force at the Hermès show Saturday and for good reason: They’re revved up about Jean Paul Gaultier’s arrival as designer of women’s ready-to-wear. The plan is to add five new Hermés shop locations in the U.S. over the next three years. “We’re very excited about it,” said Karen Katz, president and chief executive officer of Neiman Marcus Stores. “We’re one of their exclusive partners.” Neiman’s already has one Hermès shop in Troy, Mich. The new locations are slated for Short Hills, N.J., White Plains, N.Y., Boca Raton, Fla., San Antonio, Tex., and Washington, D.C." (WWD article)

2. "Kal Ruttenstein, senior vice president of fashion direction at Bloomingdale’s, said Paris is always inspiring. “My favorite collection of all the collections this season was Jean Paul Gaultier for Hermès. It was stylish, sexy and charming, but it was really all about class. (WWD article)

I find fashiononlines.com's Christine Suppes (editor-in-chief) to have her own agenda and it's in every article on that site.

that's a very informative article...thanks for posting..it confirmed a lot of what has been talked about here on the spot...

thanks for posting chick :flower:

faust...i don't think it's possible to blame any one thing for all of our woes...but there is no doubt that the state of the world affects these matters...for example...bombing in spain...it's the uncertainty and insecurity that it fosters which is the real problem, which in turn causes economic stress...i don't think you can discount this and and don't see any reason to pretend that 9/11 is not a very real, lingering issue... i'm actually quite tired of hearing people saying that the economy is turning around, when in fact, this is only being accomplished by huge layoffs and cutbacks...

i, for one, can't really think of another reason for all of the hesitation on the buyers' part besides insecurity about the marketplace brought on by the unstability in the world...which really began on sept. 11 and lingers on... :shock:

Its ironic that the established are suffering while it seems the indies are prevailing this season. In fact,its seems the other way around for once. From a general perspective,independents from NY to Paris seemed to have had a strong grip on reality. Whilst the majority of the established were living it up with their big egos,their creations have not. Not to mention all this media sympathy for Ford hasn't helped direction much.

Originally posted by Atelier@Mar 11th, 2004 - 2:04 pm
I find fashiononlines.com's Christine Suppes (editor-in-chief) to have her own agenda and it's in every article on that site.
Or it could also be that WWD is in the pocket of Conde Nast and feels the need to be a fashion 'cheerleader.' If fashion is in trouble then WWD won't hesitate to report any favorable news.

As they put for us to read between the lines, of 'not one American buyer' and 'Companies with a name are more inclined to safely market the label', they must have forgotten that even if exaggeration was the key to life, we have changed the locks.

September 11th may have made the designers more cautious about the market, but when you see people shopping on a Saturday afternoon do you really think they are wondering will they get good value from their pricey purchases, or will they be targeted by terrorists before they get a chance? Maybe that's what freelancers see in Paris, but I don't see it here.

Originally posted by chickonspeed+Mar 11th, 2004 - 1:19 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chickonspeed @ Mar 11th, 2004 - 1:19 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Atelier@Mar 11th, 2004 - 2:04 pm
Or it could also be that WWD is in the pocket of Conde Nast and feels the need to be a fashion 'cheerleader.' If fashion is in trouble then WWD won't hesitate to report any favorable news. [/b][/quote]
that's true, unfortunately...the best article i've seen on the state of the industry came from a business journal, because they are just reporting on the numbers...they have no other agenda...it's good to read as many sources as possible to get an accurate overview...that's why i love tfs!! :P

Originally posted by strawberry daiquiri@Mar 11th, 2004 - 1:26 pm
As they put for us to read between the lines, of 'not one American buyer' and 'Companies with a name are more inclined to safely market the label', they must have forgotten that even if exaggeration was the key to life, we have changed the locks.

September 11th may have made the designers more cautious about the market, but when you see people shopping on a Saturday afternoon do you really think they are wondering will they get good value from their pricey purchases, or will they be targeted by terrorists before they get a chance? Maybe that's what freelancers see in Paris, but I don't see it here.
well, i do...not that they are afraid of being bombed, but that they have lost their jobs due to cutbacks, or are afraid of losing them, so they have curtailed their spending iin case of emergency...which is directly related to the first issue... :flower:

Originally posted by chickonspeed+Mar 11th, 2004 - 9:19 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chickonspeed @ Mar 11th, 2004 - 9:19 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Atelier@Mar 11th, 2004 - 2:04 pm
Or it could also be that WWD is in the pocket of Conde Nast and feels the need to be a fashion 'cheerleader.' If fashion is in trouble then WWD won't hesitate to report any favorable news. [/b][/quote]
:lol: so true, so very true :wink:

Originally posted by softgrey@Mar 11th, 2004 - 6:31 pm
well, i do...not that they are afraid of being bombed, but that they have lost their jobs due to cutbacks, or are afraid of losing them, so they have curtailed their spending iin case of emergency...which is directly related to the first issue... :flower:
I understand that, more saving for a rainy day than before et all. But, I don't think that peoples taste has become more conservative as a result, meaning if they are going to their spend money, they don't necessarily want to spend it on what the designer made while playing it safe as a tactic of survival.

showing off and looking like being dressed
for a non-stop-glam-partyyyyy all the time
is just not the case following sept 11.

the world is a differend place (emotionally)
and this is reflected by the rise of more conservative,
'safe' 'comfort' styles that create a 'low profile' mood.

Originally posted by strawberry daiquiri@Mar 11th, 2004 - 1:26 pm

How poignant your comment is , Strawberry Daiquiri :heart:

at the very moment I have heard on the BBC television news that Al Qaeda is at the root of the Madrid bombings .

Irony indeed .

KIT

very intresting. I think its time for mainstream to move over, or at elast the main stream ideas in fashion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->