Gareth Pugh Mens F/W 09.10 Paris

im i the only person who realises that he has used the same patterns and pieces from previous womens collections...and arent those padded jkts with the chest tie just a little bit like ricks????? hmmmmm

the only original pieces i see here thathe has done JUST for men is the pieces with the nails...and a few lovely leathers and tailored jkts..the rest has been seen before!

im i the only person who realises that he has used the same patterns and pieces from previous womens collections...and arent those padded jkts with the chest tie just a little bit like ricks????? hmmmmm

the only original pieces i see here thathe has done JUST for men is the pieces with the nails...and a few lovely leathers and tailored jkts..the rest has been seen before!

p.s excuse the rant but people are going on like it is the most inovative and new collection ever shown! look a bit closer ....

While i don't understand the comparison to Rick Owens on this board, i certainly don't feel this comes close to what Rick sent down the runway.

Also a little dumbfounded with such a positive reaction; was this really better than Rick, Damir & julius?

This is an exceptionally constructed collection, containing meticulous detail, composing of some illustrious fabric combinations; the coats & robes are serious stand-outs, but i don't think i'll be throwing £3000 at them.

Gareth is being hailed as the new messiah/king of menswear?

he hasn't explored volume, transitional form, most potently movement within the line, such as Rick so eloquently pulled off.

tare away the embellishments & bravado, what are we really left with here? sliced trousers, neo-goth boots...i don't think buyers are as likely to carry this as they are with the womens.

There's a huge media juggernaut championing Gareths Pughs every move at present; as stark as his collections are & as powerful an image they portray, i'm not likely to be submerged in the frenzy any time soon.

i agree with u! if u check my posts(rants)

have the images of the new julius and /or the viridi anne images been loaded??

While i don't understand the comparison to Rick Owens on this board, i certainly don't feel this comes close to what Rick sent down the runway.

Also a little dumbfounded with such a positive reaction; was this really better than Rick, Damir & julius?

This is an exceptionally constructed collection, containing meticulous detail, composing of some illustrious fabric combinations; the coats & robes are serious stand-outs, but i don't think i'll be throwing £3000 at them.

Gareth is being hailed as the new messiah/king of menswear?

he hasn't explored volume, transitional form, most potently movement within the line, such as Rick so eloquently pulled off.

tare away the embellishments & bravado, what are we really left with here? sliced trousers, neo-goth boots...i don't think buyers are as likely to carry this as they are with the womens.

There's a huge media juggernaut championing Gareths Pughs every move at present; as stark as his collections are & as powerful an image they portray, i'm not likely to be submerged in the frenzy any time soon.

truly not,jhamie. i still have my complaints but i also think in certain area's what he does he's absolutely brilliant at. elements i really wish he would build on more strongly. but no,he is not some messiah of menswear now but there is something there that people are keen to see in menswear. something visual,perhaps. but i agree wholeheartedly,to compare this with rick is like comparing leather and silk...they are totally different designers. sure they're both dramatic but i feel like gareth still lacks that poetry that makes some of the best the best.

Don't get it at all. Everyone is hailing Gareth as this fashion prophet but they just look like DIY club costumes. Needle pins stuck into vests. Come on. The collection looks like a Hot Topic hyperbole. Nothing in this incites desire for me, and that's the main difference I draw between him and Owens.

What I'd really like to see is what he'd do if he was given the resources of a proper atelier and some luxury skins... I think that'd be better to assess.

Don't get it at all. Everyone is hailing Gareth as this fashion prophet but they just look like DIY club costumes. Needle pins stuck into vests. Come on. The collection looks like a Hot Topic hyperbole. Nothing in this incites desire for me, and that's the main difference I draw between him and Owens.

What I'd really like to see is what he'd do if he was given the resources of a proper atelier and some luxury skins... I think that'd be better to assess.

I think it's unfair to base such a hash attack on pictures (unless you actually saw the show and/or handles the pieces). From what I've heard the pieces are very high quality, both in terms of details, construction and fabrics.

I think the praise Pugh gets is well deserved. True, there are pieces here that are too "goth clubwear", but overall it's a great collection, and what makes Pugh stand up and out is that he dares to challenge the norms, which are SO much stronger in menswear than in womanswear. Menswear is SO strongly grounded in tradition, staying put while womanswear went in and out through fashion and style.

Oh, and I love love LOVE his accessories!
IMG_8893.jpg

(thecobrasnake)

Very captivating and artistic collection, but I'm afraid the wearbility level is below zero. There is no possibility of wearing the vast majority of the garments without being looked at like an alien.

i agree with u! if u check my posts(rants)

have the images of the new julius and /or the viridi anne images been loaded??
this logic is unnecessary, really. everything is so subjective. one man's trash is another man's treasure...

everyone has made their points; all you can do is put your opinion out there - not be frustrated because you haven't caused any revelations to others.

imo one of the beauties of tFS is the extreme diversity in opinions and lack of a one-track opinion by the entire forum. :heart:

anyways, I love this and will try to get something... probably one of the basics since the jackets are cut for men. In his pieces which I already own - the quality is amazing and when they're broken down and paired with more 'common' clothes, they can really be a lovely bit of icing on the cake to an outfit :woot: :crush:

Last edited by a moderator:
i like that collection but i have to say the material on some of those jackets & pants looks a lot like the fabric that has been around for years on some of issey miyake's pleats please bags...

moma_bag.jpg

(source-coscablog.it)

Just heard LVMH is backing Gareth Pugh, but I'm almost certain Rick Owens has been doing his production and sales. Wonder how that's all working out.

I can't help but to say that I agree. I was just saying the same to a friend.
I think Mutterlein has made a keen observation..

ah! i just nearly cried!
i can see how its not very wearable but seriously i wouldnt care and wear it!
i need to get my hands on at least one piece! :heart:

I seriously think this whole thing is getting overhyped. It is a strong collection and great debut, but he is NOT the new messiah imo. Enormous talent, he has. A strong point of view, he also has. But nothing's here is groundbreaking, says like Raf Simons introduced street culture in the ealy 90's into high end menswears. He just translated what he's been doing with womenswear into this so it's just a fitting evolution. I still don't get the hype

I've never been a big fan of his collections for women but his style definitely works a lot better for menswear.

this collection is way better than his women's collections
why cant his women's collections look more like this?

I seriously think this whole thing is getting overhyped. It is a strong collection and great debut, but he is NOT the new messiah imo. Enormous talent, he has. A strong point of view, he also has. But nothing's here is groundbreaking, says like Raf Simons introduced street culture in the ealy 90's into high end menswears. He just translated what he's been doing with womenswear into this so it's just a fitting evolution. I still don't get the hype

completely agree.

I mean, i'd consider myself fairly progressive with what i wear (i guess i'd have to be considering purchases with gareth), but when i look through this line, there isn't too much i'll be throwing money at. possibly the black robe, dependent on price, but that's about it.

I also think Jean-Pierre Braganza does a similar form of womenswear to gareth, but I do tend to find myself more interested in what Jean-Pierre comes away with each season...

not sure if the girls agree.

Its basically an amalgamation of all of his collections so far but its great. If anyone had any doubt about Mr Pugh's talent this collection well and truly proves them wrong.
I love it
and i love his talent, he's a true inspiration and a reminder that aesthetics should always be manipulated and experimented with regardless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->