Gucci F/W 2003.04 Milan

I personally think that the whole FW 08 season was about reviving the FW 03 Gucci woman Tom Ford had created. This is a fantastic show. It is, still, THE show.

Those severe LBDs of Balenciaga, the merciless and sinister girls of Prada in their dark lace, the Lanvin girls with their dark eyes and even darker thoughts... I mean, that whole season, with its best collections, reminded me of the BladeRunner woman Tom created here with this collection. Something evil almost, austere, cold and distant, yet painfully beautiful... I don't think any of those shows was as spectacular, and obviously VERY different from each other in many many ways, but the attitude that the clothes maintained and the women whom they displayed were the same I think.

For some reason, I see something very close with these collections: it is as if the same woman would buy these. You know, the designers always say they are designing for 'the strong independent woman' and all that crap (I will break my neck if one says he designs for the weak woman who likes spending their father or husband's money, for once!!!), but I feel like these clothes are REALLY for those strong women - dangerous even.

God damn his clothes made women look so rich. Not many designers can do that. Their clothes may be overpriced and expensive but cannot make a woman look rich. Ford's Gucci alway always gave off a sense of luxury and elitism that was unmmatched imo

still perfect. always perfect.

throw this onto the next FW schedule and it will still get the press and buyers all rallied up. and this collection is close to 10 years old.

I stumbled on some Rob Dougan tracks the other day - in particular “Clubbed to Death 2” - and was immediately back to this truly sublime moment in fashion.

I had to rewatch the video, of course...and it’s just as magical as I always remembered it. Probably the most perfect cast of all time, with each and every girl looking incomprehensibly gorgeous. The rose petals pierced by the stilettos...stacking up on the heels with each step...the heart aching soundtrack....the clothes....it’s just more than I can bear!

Much lamenting takes place here about the decline of fashion. And when revisiting collections like this...I find the nostalgia to be completely justified. Fashion has become so many things...but somehow, somewhere along the line...it forgot how to conjur a dream and how to make women as beautiful as anyone could ever possibly imagine. This is the kind of beauty that can bring you to tears.

Finally, one of my favourite shows in HQ! The Gucci I'll always yearn for...

twitter

I am squealing !!! This show forever and always !! Timeless, elegant, beautiful, poetic, classic, magnificent ... I could go on and on !! Thank you for the HQ photos !

Stunningly modern, dramatic and achingly romantic without a hint of the saccharine or melodrama. Such a sublime balance between divine creativity and non-fussy wearability: Just pure aspiration image-making. And it’s absolutely as couture-y as Tom ever got for Gucci.

Thanks Yohji!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->