Gucci F/W 08.09 Milan

suzy menkes also said the same thing in her review , its very cavalli and that she is a cliche designer . Some of this stuff is good and will sell and its much better than the **** she put out this summer .

agree with many ..first thought that came to mind was cavalli. and not a fan of cavalli...
there was however, a blue and red jacket that caught my interest.

Not really inspired by this collection, they used similar paisleys to SS 07 and the black studded ankle boots are like, perfect copies of a pair of last season ankle boots by Christian Louboutin.
The thing with this Gucci collection (along with the mens') is that I think there's too much going on with the looks! I can't look at all of the jumbled items.
I like this collection, but it seems like Gucci is trying to give you style on a platter; it's too teenagery for me - I like woman chic.

Haha, yes, I can definitely see the Olsens wearing a lot of these little fur coats. The first thing it reminded me of, though, was Penny Lane from Almost Famous.

whatever.... i love it... there something.... whats the word... ethnic about it

WWD Feb 21,2008-Gucci: Talk about fascinating. By objective standards, Frida Giannini's still-young tenure at Gucci is a wild success. Her numbers are gaudier than Tom Ford's ever were, with not only the accessories fueling the frenzy, but the clothes, as well. Business is booming around the world, exploding in Asia-Pacific, Russia and the Middle East, and as for the U.S., adjusting for currency, sales leapt 14.7 percent last year. Over-the-top or not, one thing isn't in doubt: Giannini's looks are big winners at retail.

Now I'm not here to defend any one designer (especially as this type of fashion is my diametric opposite in taste) but I find it tedious to read some vitriolic reviews for some designers while others commit far worse atrocities than SELLING WELL.
The facts speak for themselves whether one likes them or not.

^ Since when is selling well a measure of being a good designer?

If that were the case then wouldn't half of the designers in NY be among the most respected names in the business? She's trendy, youth oriented and makes clothes that are easier to produce than most other European luxury houses. That's the only reason her clothes sell so well.

I definitely think zeroing in on other designers looks and signatures is one of those far worse atrocities you mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read somewhere this collection being descrbed as like "an arrow straight to the buyers in Brazil and Moscow" and I couldn't agree more.

Ugh...style.com said one of the jackets was made of lynx fur. Don't know why, but that bothers me more than usual...

Is this a forum for discussion or simply a platform for some people's diktats?
If one can't at least take a different (informed) position on a matter then what is the need of being on this website?

By the way, what constitutes a good designer then? I obviously have no clue then.
Destitution, poverty and plenty of hype? There are PLENTY of casualties in this business. Even the geniuses need to sell something. Even Westwood or Alaia would agree to that subject.
Making ugly or beautiful clothes that no one will ever wear is in my very humble opinion, a waste of time and talent.

this collection makes me think of a cross-hybrid of balenciaga f/w 2007 and etro s/s 2008. call me crazy!

Looking through the collection, not everything is sooo bad. On the runway its just too much together, but wear some of these pieces separately, like one of the coats with a plain shirt and pants, and it could look cute. I hope I don't see those boots on anybody! Their awful. And I hate anything with fringe. I overall still don't like the collection though, because I don't really like the bohemian look, and I'm just saddened that it doesn't look like "Gucci".

I'm not sure if that post was directed at me Bidwell, or just in general, but it seems that you have a problem with the people whose opinions are different if you're taking it so personally. I'm not sure why you feel you can't have a different opinion, is it because people disagree with you? As far as I can see, no one has said you were wrong, they just didn't say you were right either.

The beauty of this forum is the lively debate that comes from having different opinions. What good would it be if people merely agreed with what one poster says without thinking twice?

I just received my time magazine today. In it there is a very large article on Frida.
I did not know that she was the creator of the Fendi baguette and was personally sourced by Tom Ford himself.
My only point in all this affair is to state that she obviously has some talent and is obviously doing something right or she wouldn't continue to be there with a steady increase in sales (clothing and accessories). That in my view is a good designer.
Not all designers and companies have to break the fashion barrier every 6 months or ever period. She caters to a certain market and does it well, why contest such a fact by deriding her abilities?

I did not know that she... was personally sourced by Tom Ford himself.

:blink: Wow! That's pretty interesting!!
So maybe Tom wanted Gucci to be going in this sort of direction???
Hmm... that's very interesting. I never would have thought that!!

It's my own view but I'm very disappointed by all F/W 08.09 shows (except alexander wang), I'm not excited at all... I'm waiting for Balenciaga and Balmain, hope they'll save the season.

This could've gone horribly wrong but I'm very fond of a lot of the pieces and prints. I get a vintage feel in some of the outfits, like lily's black one...fabulous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->