Gucci F/W 2018.19 Milan

Oh my god I am the only one seeing a head in models’ arms? Wtf is that? What is the point?

It's a gimmick, nothing more, nothing less. The best thing to do is to not pay attention to that...
It's not going to hide how lackluster this show was.

Alessandro really is an enigma, his shows are always hideous, the styling is always all over the place and it often looks like a thrift shop - but the collections in terms of sale wise, translate really well and are always a hit.

Lol, I was just about to comment how the collections are like vintage thrift stores... there's so much going on and it's all over the place but if you keep on looking and digging you might find something you like.

Walking into the shop alone is a sign that you will most likely buy something, you're just not sure what it is yet until you find it.

There are some pieces there I'd wear the **** out of, but they seemed mismatched in the styling ensemble along with the set? How did this really great set idea correlate to the collection at all?

Styling seemed really really off.

only thing i liked was the yankee logo lol ...just a mess everything was a mess ...i'm sorry ...bye ...

Without the amateur/nonsensical/idiosyncratic over-styling that’s become such a repeat-offender for many, there’s really nothing memorial about the separates. His Gucci needs that brand of silly, gimmicky styling to give it a voice. Otherwise… these are literally the poorly-cut, one-size-fits-all 70s polyester suitings and dresses that’s found in the dusty bin at any given charity outlet. There’s no skilled tailoring, inventive construction and any thoughtful progression. It’s not high fashion— it’s pure DIY. But of course, no one who's a fan of any of this is going to do-it-themselves sadly, cuz it’s all about the status of wearing Gucci.

I will say that I sort of enjoyed that there are some whimsy with the Romanian and Russian flourishes with the styling here, that at least gives the impression that his band of pubescent, gender-neutral meek geeks at least left the thriftstore and ventured abroad.

Bravo Alessandro! Only you can make the fashion world uglier with another Gucci collection!

You can tell he´s slowly burning down. And as he needs to keep making buzz, he just had two options with this new collection: actually making interesting clothes; or making another flashy set and ordering a couple of severed heads to an FX team...and of course he went the easy route, once again!

But he has achieved exactly the buzz he wanted, because everyone is talking about the heads today. As for the clothes...well, they were just an excuse to make another show.

And those balaclavas are literally copied from a 70s DIY book, which was circulating through the internet several years ago. So he literally is making profit from an internet meme...

90 looks again!! Why editing has gone out of fashion??

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, this guy is a genius. To send the same ugly thrift store collection down the runway for so many seasons now, and managing to build and maintain the hype... People will really fall for anything.

The only thing I liked was the models heads as accessories.

Other than that, another hideous collection destroying the house of Gucci.

yeah i am really bored of this, been bored of it for a couple of years now

please can we move onto something else.

This collection feels like a bad fever dream... can someone please wake me up? While some of the pieces were kind of nice, the styling was awful. I'm saddened by the fact that nothing about the pieces is innovative or groundbreaking. Not that I expected such things, but one can dream I guess?

Honestly, this guy is a genius. To send the same ugly thrift store collection down the runway for so many seasons now, and managing to build and maintain the hype... People will really fall for anything.

For real.

I actually enjoyed Gucci this morning, but it might be the editor in me over analyzing and intellectualizing fashion.

I thought it was brilliant because it was clear that Alessandro is thinking of where the world is right now. The use of the emergency room as a set which really gave a sense of urgency, coupled with the ticking of a clock in the background, interjected with the sound of the cardiac monitor. The clothes as well, reflective of the people and cultures of the world - the yanks, Egyptians, Chinese etc. It's almost like he was saying that the world could flatline at any moment.

Also, carrying your severed heard I imagine, is a reference to war and the model with the third eye is probably as a result of the effects of nuclear radiation causing mutations.

It's such a poignant and relevant message.

This and pre-fall are the first time I’ve actually enjoyed the chaotic sense of styling and presentation from Alessandro...

The decapitated heads are going to give me nightmares tonight. That's... the main takeaway.

What’s the point of these elaborate and undeniably impactful presentations / sets if the clothes are always the same blob of quirky vintagey kitschy crap repeated x 100 collection after collection?

And there’s no relation between the set (here, the medical setting really caught my attention and interest) and the clothes. Not to mention the gimmicky ‘severed’ heads and random props here and there. Again, no correlation to the clothes. I’m tired.
This is exactly what I was thinking to myself while reading some of the reviews/commentary from the press.

Why does any of the pretext for the show -- theatrical sets that vary season to season, wordy, esoteric press notes, quotes from feminist literature, visual gimmicks -- actually matter when each and every collection serves only as a remix of the previous one?

In a way I kind of admire the formula for being so effective and so transparent: put on a major presentation bound for Instagram immortality that also provides a perfect smokescreen for the fact that the products themselves and the message behind them don't do much changing season to season. It's a spectacular illusion so long as you ignore the man behind the curtain.

Also, carrying your severed heard I imagine, is a reference to war and the model with the third eye is probably as a result of the effects of nuclear radiation causing mutations.

I thought instantly of Game Of Thrones. :lol: All the three instagrammable "accessories" have major roles there (the severed heads, the Three Eyed Raven and the dragon).

Alessandro really is an enigma, his shows are always hideous, the styling is always all over the place and it often looks like a thrift shop - but the collections in terms of sale wise, translate really well and are always a hit.

I hate to use that comparison but Michele's Gucci is a bit like the closest thing to Zara that exist in high fashion. You can find everything at Zara and it's also the case at Gucci.

His collections are a bit of a Pot-Pourri of everything. In his shows, you have every decades and every trends represented. You have the 40's up until the early 00's in one show. You have overtly sexy pieces (like look 15) to overtly modest clothes (the deep burgundy velvet gown). You have jeans, pants, blouses, dresses.

You can find anything at Gucci to satisfy any customer. The fact that the brand is one of the hottest brand in the moment add something extra to it.

In a way, the show is nothing more than a marketing exercise. It doesn't really add anything to the fashion conversation, those clothes as beautiful as they are end-up looking like merchandise and the purpose of all of that doesn't even matter.

Judging a Gucci show is almost unecessary because everybody knows that it's all about pieces, it's an organized mess, the brand is cool and it sells. Gucci has a clear aesthetic but no real vision. We don't know how all of this is going to look in a few seasons because it has been 3 years of Alessandro being there and doing the same thing over and over again.

Yes, all AM needs to think about is how the items will sell like hot cakes, and that's all that matters in a business. Sorry, but I don't think many people out there would haemorrhage money to put out clothes for purely artistic expression. If you want art, go spend the money in your bank account to put on a very expensive artful runway show. Go into debt for it. Or buy a painting.

Some of the iconic pieces will probably look old after some times but considering how cyclical things are they will naturally come back into fashion again.

Michele's Gucci is my sick pleasure, his collections truly don't make sense but then again nothing really makes sense to me in the era we live in now so I accept the confusion for what it is. A part of it is that I'm also a fan for my own selfish reasons, I believe Michele has the potential to deliver one of my holy grail collections, more specifically a collection of what I've always wanted to see imagined and then executed on the runway and I have a feeling he'll deliver before he blinks out at Gucci.

The final part of it all is that I'm optimistic, I'm playing the long game and look forward to seeing the day Michele's successor goes into his archives and distills a cohesive vision from the chaos he put out on the runways. I might be wasting my time but that's OK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LKLA2024
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->