Gucci To Start Couture Line - Gucci Première

Is it me or the red dress on Selma and the one on Kate have something wrong with the back zipper line? Is it supposed to be so crinkled?

Is Cannes sponsored by Gucci or something like that? :lol:
90% of the dress we see everyday are Gucci!!

The Italian luxury brand is breaking into the rarefied world of haute couture with the launch of Gucci Première, which will offer celebs one-of-a-kind gowns like the slinky burgundy one-shoulder dress Salma Hayek wore on opening night of the Cannes Film Festival Wednesday.

Gucci creative director Frida Giannini says the couture division was launched in response to strong demand for standout red-carpet outfits.
So it's just a made-to-order line for celebrities, not necessarily a full-on couture collection? Whew, thank goodness.

Even so, I've not been impressed with what I've seen at Cannes so far. She seems to be going for Classic Italian Movie Star Glam, but its not nearly as well done as Armani's couture line. There's no imagination, no oomph.

To be honest some of Tom Ford's dresses from Fall 2003 and Fall 2004 are more Couture than these.
I like Kate Beckinsale's dress though, it has some pretty detail.

Camille's dress is a joke. Versace did this decades ago and more recently at SS10

0u8y6.jpg
00460m.jpg

style zimbio

Ehhh.... the dresses are underwhelming. Why pay so much for Gucci couture when you can easily buy a much cheaper BETTER LOOKING Versace ready-to-wear?

All the dresses so far are bland and ill fitting.

^Or go to Armani Privé for the bedazzled number on Frida herself...

Kate's is nice, but I fail to see the Gucci aesthetic in all of this. Maybe it needs time to grow?

Hahaha

I agree, I fail to see the Gucci aesthetic stamp in any of those gowns. The only look that is 'Gucci' to me is Salma's (the colour reminds me of Fridas Fall 2006 collection).

The other gowns all lack a clear and identifiable identity, and this is my problem with this premiere line. I don't see what separates these dresses from anything else that, say, Marchesa has designed. At least with lines like Atelier Versace, there is some kind of 'Versace aesthetic' that has been interpreted and some kind of nod to the archives. What exactly is 'Gucci' about these four looks?

By the way, there is one more look to come, no? Another dress that Frida will wear.

Exactly, the details on these Gucci dresses are nothing new. Versace has relied on these details or RTW for years.
I have a feeling that Frida and the Gucci team know that these "couture" dresses are nothing special but are just overhyping it anyway. People love exclusive things, it makes them feel important.

LYVDi.jpg
00460m.jpg
01750m.jpg

zimbio, style

It's exactly why I hate Marchesa. Everyone keeps saying they're couture, and all I see is a simple dress that's been embellished. That's on top of the blatant copying of other designer dresses.

The dresses Salma and Camilla wore, as much as they are genetic and ordinary, are at least pretty. The dress that Kate wore is just ugly. Up close, it seems like it's got a lot of nice detailing, but pull back and it's so tacky and ugly. That one dress Frida herself wore is kinda in the middle.

You gotta love how Gucci went about debuting these dresses, but they're so disappointing.

It's so silly to judge a dress only by the photos from zimbio or style..and Versace is anything but originality

French actress Lea Seydoux is in a Gucci Première champagne charmeause gown with matt & shiny pale gold sequin degrade embroidery @ Cannes
GucciOfficial

1N4im.jpg

PxStt.jpg

fpO9v.jpg

tTUkx.jpg

daylife,getty

Exactly, the details on these Gucci dresses are nothing new. Versace has relied on these details or RTW for years.
I have a feeling that Frida and the Gucci team know that these "couture" dresses are nothing special but are just overhyping it anyway. People love exclusive things, it makes them feel important.

^ TOO true. its sad.

Frida is not the one to do this...and i think gucci couture works as a moneymaker but not really as a significant contribution to anything artistic, original, or dazzling. plus, i think it's in tough opposition to the history of the label.

Very Versace, i agree, but it doesn´t look that bad, i like it.
I remember how Elie Saab collections were always compared to the Versace brand, Cavalli as well, so this time Gucci.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muggins1265
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"