H&M x Marimekko - Summer 2008

^sorry youre right.. i dont know where my mind was wondering to...

i dont see how this is going to attract shoppers in the states at all. the prints are just going to look dated. and people here wont know what marimekko is.

i thought marimekko was pretty big in ny and la. well with those who are interesting in interior design at least...

Oh I really like Marimekko prints, I just bought oven mitts, placemats and a kitchen towel with the classic red unikko print from Helsinki. :heart: And i love the fact, that some of the items say 'Made in Estonia'. :woot: Really can't wait to see the collection!

BUT.. Marimekko wanted to stop buying fabrics from Kreenholm (Estonian company who's prints look a little like Marimekkos) because of ethics problems but everything is OK now. :arrow:A few words about it here. And I don't want to start a discussion about ethics here, but in the past H&M didn't do very well in that department..:blush:

I love love love Marimekko and it's great that it's making a comeback!!!!

As said many times in this thread "I can't wait to see what H&M does with it and I'm also hoping they use something other than the flower prints because marimekko has some great designs which are more fashion forward than the flower print that we see everywhere.

what do you think? i am not impressed. the only print that is vaguely OK is the poppy print (marimekko's arguably most famous print) and the short shift dress.

The 50 piece collection also includes menswear: Bermuda shorts are $39.90, short-sleeved shirts are $29.90. it comes out april 10.

photos from nymag

Attachments

• mari1.jpg
    mari1.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 24
  • mari2.jpg
    mari2.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 22
  • mari3.jpg
    mari3.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 38
I like the patterns but it's too orange for my taste :blink:

I love Marimekko so I'll still be very excited about this! So far, the pieces seem somewhat dull though, a little of a typical summer H&M print instead of characteristically Marimekko.

The prints are the trend for now. And the silhouettes imo are just boring.

The prints look much better on you than what the pictures show. :\

I'm really excited...

I like it. Of course its easy for this type of print to be abused and misused. But I think it can work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marimekko for H&M, I am mixed about it. I agree with what some people have said, some of the collection will not appeal to everyone. I like the colors but honestly I do not care for everything in this collection:unsure:

that bikini will be mine... but that's about all I'm interested in. I do love Marimekko's other prints and especially home goods, but overall this just doesn't appeal as much.

Pretty...loud. It could work downplayed with a lot of neutral colors...

...but I think I might be allergic to those prints :ninja: and long dresses :ninja::ninja:

jesus... what the heck is going on with all of those bad prints? :shock:

I have to say that I only like a few of the pieces from the collection, which is disappointing being a big Marimekko fan. :unsure: Still I think it will be interesting to see the pieces in person and actually try them on since clothing can really look different when someone is wearing it.

On a side note, Marimekko has collaborated on some pieces for Anthropologie, and I personally loved what they've done. I definitely think this is a great way for the brand to get more recognition in various markets.

I like the prints but they could have definately done a better job with the tailoring and the styles. In Finland, anyone can walk into the Marimekko store, buy some fabric, and make much greater designs than these. Such as my blogger friend did. They could have created something edgy and new, instead they are formless tricot pieces.. no thanks. Only thing I like is the black and white pattern on the bikini and the minidress. Maybe the shorts could work with something plain such as black shirt.. Thats about it. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
burgerdays
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->