Harper's Bazaar Australia November 2009 : Jennifer Hawkins by Georges Antoni

The thing thats wrong with the cover is the FONT. It made it look cheap and clumsy at the same time.

Thanks for posting the bigger image of the cover. Wow the font is horrible, it looked better to me in the smaller. :ninja:

The font looks like it was done by a 10 year old. And what's up with those orange pants?

Wowww, so much hate in this thread. But I understand it. I found her boring at first. But she actually has a good body (and she looks natural and healthy, unlike the models who have surgery or starve themselves) and she's cute in a down to earth way. She's never going to be high fashion but she doesn't have to be. Also it's about time australian rags stopped trying to be inferior versions of overseas magazines and start working on who we are - unpretentious, laidback-cool, that kind of thing. We should do away with the cultural cringe because it's kind of pathetic. (fashionistas, you'll never be european, so don't even try.. hiphop artists, stop looking to america.) Personally I think the colours used in the pictures are great. I hope to god we never become a nation of people who dress only in black or neutrals, or take up pseudo-posh affectations. Australians will never be chic or sophisticated, but they can be natural, pretty, and sexy in an athletic way. Taking the beach aesthetic and refining it is the way to go. It'll take some time to get it right but it's better than aspiring to be the ******** step-sibling of new york or paris.

^ Don't you think you're making a gross generalisation when you state that "Australians will never be chic or sophisticated"? You can't typecast an entire nation and their fashion sense. Just as I'm sure there are people in New York or Paris who fit the "natural, pretty, and sexy in an athletic way" description far better than they fit the "chic or sophisticated" label.

actually, the beachy aesthetic isn't every australian's thing. Certainly not everyone in Melbourne for example. I think really, a bad cover is a bad cover is a bad cover. The end. And this cover sucks.

^ Don't you think you're making a gross generalisation when you state that "Australians will never be chic or sophisticated"? You can't typecast an entire nation and their fashion sense. Just as I'm sure there are people in New York or Paris who fit the "natural, pretty, and sexy in an athletic way" description far better than they fit the "chic or sophisticated" label.

Well of course it's a gross generalisation. But at the end of the day, it's mostly true. Australia is always light years behind when it comes to fashion, and the fashion world is never going to take us seriously. Local designers who show in new york are never received well. When I say that Australians are not chic or sophisticated, I am using international standards as a measuring stick.

I don't like this cover, nor do I almost ever like Australian Harpers but this is the type of cover that sells well in Australia. It's bright, summary and feature Jennifer Hawkins who the general population worships. When you say model to most Australian people Jennifer Hawkins is one of the girls who comes to their minds.

I'm not going to say we aren't chic because there are people in our cities who dress great and some of our locals designers are great, but general population wise we are years behind. Sadly this is the type of fashion that applies to Australian. Tans, beaches, bikinis. We are a relaxed nation that enjoys relaxed fashion and our magazines have to cater to
that.

I get so confused from the amount of people in this place that expect Australian magazines to look like French magazines, or for US magazines to look like French magazines ect. Magazines, fashion or not, have to do their best to cater to what a majority of people in their country are interested in. Hence an Australian fashion magazine having our Miss Universe on it.

BLAH

There is a thing is in this world called high standard. The photography ideas are all cheap knock offs with guys there trying to copy the shooters in Europe. I get that its Australia and the market is different but surely there is more to this than hot pink wetsuits in the sand . Looks like they are all mates at that magazine . Its a joke

Check out the quality back in 2000-2004. Both Vogue and Bazaar. Mark Vassallo was a lot better years ago when he was hungry and passionate. Now he phones it in . Paycheck motivation !!

There is a reason none of those cats ever make it over seas ....... NONE ! All the real good Australian photographers and stylists leave. The crappy ones stay because there cheap ripoffs are clocked .

Wonder why

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jozwiakanja
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->