Hedi Slimane exits Saint Laurent; Anthony Vaccarello hired

I just wanted to share this excerpt from Suzy Menkes' interview with Azzedine Alaia from a few days ago. He talks about Hedi and says:

"I want to see what Hedi is going to do," Alaïa said. "I would be very surprised if he went back to Dior [where Slimane was menswear designer from 2000-2007]. But I wouldn't be surprised if he goes to Chanel. He's friends again with Karl after they fell out, and it would not be stupid for him to come back to Karl - at Chanel. He could start with menswear and then take over the ready-to-wear and then he might take over completely..."
vogue.co.uk

Juicy, no?

^^
And now, we want to know why they fell out!:lol::lol:
I love how he referred to him as a "stylist" instead of a "designer".

I'm actually surprised on how people expect from Karl to give Chanel to Hedi just because he supported him a lot when he was at Dior Homme (even if he is still wearing some of his clothes today).
Basically, Karl can choose anyone he supported a lot. He is close to Riccardo and seems to love him. He also like Olivier T. I remember that he featured him in his book for Chanel's 'little black jacket". He is friend with Alber, has supported Stefano Pilati...
Even Nicolas Ghesquiere. He said a lot of good things about his work + a lot of people of his entourage were wearing his clothes from Balenciaga.
From Phoebe Philo to JW Anderson...

The list of potential successor is kinda endless and we all know that Karl hate the obvious. Plus, i find it kinda rude (if it's the case) to talk so much about what is going to be next for Chanel, when in fact, they still have a designer who seems to be totally capable to do his work. I'll be very surprised if Hedi goes to Chanel.

I hope Hedi will not focus only on photography, i mean i would like to see him at Dior or Chanel , also if i doubt he can do Chanel womenswear and also Karl is alive - but Chanel menswear collections, it make sense.

^^
And now, we want to know why they fell out!:lol::lol:
I love how he referred to him as a "stylist" instead of a "designer".

I'm actually surprised on how people expect from Karl to give Chanel to Hedi just because he supported him a lot when he was at Dior Homme (even if he is still wearing some of his clothes today).
Basically, Karl can choose anyone he supported a lot. He is close to Riccardo and seems to love him. He also like Olivier T. I remember that he featured him in his book for Chanel's 'little black jacket". He is friend with Alber, has supported Stefano Pilati...
Even Nicolas Ghesquiere. He said a lot of good things about his work + a lot of people of his entourage were wearing his clothes from Balenciaga.
From Phoebe Philo to JW Anderson...

The list of potential successor is kinda endless and we all know that Karl hate the obvious. Plus, i find it kinda rude (if it's the case) to talk so much about what is going to be next for Chanel, when in fact, they still have a designer who seems to be totally capable to do his work. I'll be very surprised if Hedi goes to Chanel.

Menswear by Hedi, why not?
I miss Hedi and it's make me sad to see what Saint-or now it is again Yves Saint Laurent- did with him. Hedi did his job till last second, inclusive such a beautiful mens-womenswear collection which he had shown in LA and the second part, the homage to Yves Saint Laurent in Paris with couture collection.
Remember how Wang run happy and made selfies after his last Show for Balenciaga, damaging the brand , showing that to work there was the worse what could happen to him...

Suzy Menkes seems to get all the juicy gossip!

From her instagram, a photo of Pierre Berge
"Pierre Berge was at a dinner in Paris tonight so I asked him about Hedi's departure from Saint Laurent and Vaccarello's arrival. 'Designers have become like footballers,' Berge said. They go to the highest bidder.' Did he think Hedi was heading to Karl and Chanel - as half the room was claiming? 'No comment' was the reply from Berger."

Very interesting coming from Pierre. It's been reported that Hedi's departure was due to his level of control over the brand, but nothing to do with money. Pierre seems to imply he was poached to go elsewhere for a higher salary.

^ Also, Berge saying 'No comment' rarely happens, he has a comment for everything. Maybe there really is a plan to start Chanel menswear like Alaia mentioned and Hedi has been tapped to be the designer.

Well there's something they have in common right there :wink:

Trashy to trashier, is what I'm thinking ...

I wonder if Hedi could be going to do Chanel Homme??

Now that Alaia says it, everyone wants to talk about it :rofl:

The highest-bidder comment is most interesting--clearly Berge knows what he's talking about. Can't wait to hear the announcement ...

OMG, this is getting SO JUICY! Living for this. :rofl:

It looks like the rumors of Hedi going to Chanel are legit. Bergé "not commenting". That's unprecedented. I'm honestly surprised. Hedi for Chanel Homme would be a dream. Skinny tweed jackets with frayed hems and short sleeves everywhere. :heart: I imagine everything being so desirable and many men on earth going bankrupt, myself included. :lol:

But him taking over Chanel womenswear. :judge: No way!

Edit: I remember I read a while ago about Karl's and Hedi's problem, but the writer wasn't very specific about it. I really want to know what happened. And why are they friends again? So curious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Irina L and Karl stopped being friends for a while because of a party, wasn't it? I guess it was a small thing like that happened with Hedi.

Wow this took me by surprise too but I'm going to save my excitement until It's confirmed. I guess since They photographed each other for V mag They are friends again... ?

Personally I hope It's true, with a Menswear line Chanel would become the ultimate Power-house and If I put my personal preferences aside; I still think Hedi is the perfect choice to start a brand new line with strong foundations and, who knows, maybe Hedi could help with Chanel's transition, learn more and polish his skills as a Designer and slowly take over its Womenswear when Karl is ready to step away

'Designers have become like footballers,' Berge said. They go to the highest bidder.'

This is also key. He could be talking about Vaccarello (him renouncing to Versus to go to a top brand) or about Hedi, which would make more sense because they were super friends and was happy he was designing for Saint Laurent. He must know something for sure! And the 'no comment' comment looks like he doesn't want to throw shade to Hedi, but that he feels betrayed in a way.

Maybe we are reading too much into it but I can't wait to know!

If Hedi goes back to his minimalist Dior Homme days instead of this trashy rock n roll thing, I think he'd be good for Chanel menswear. Chanel has the classic little black dress and tweed suits, I think Hedi can create a good masculine reinterpretation of that

I feel like we are back in 2007:lol:
In 2007 again, we had the same rumors of Hedi creating Chanel Homme. It's like an endless fantasy.
I'm bored of it...

The Bergé comment could also be about Dior. Maybe he doesn't want to say something against Bernard Arnault...
Sincerely, judging by his comment, it seems like it's about Dior. I can't believe that Chanel would make huge offers while they have already a very powerful/influencial designer...

If Chanel wanted to do a full Chanel Homme line , they could have done it between 2007 and 2012:idea:

Karl is CHANEL so I can't imagine them breaking up the continuity and having a separate creative director for men's. That doesn't seem very Chanel like from a business standpoint or creative at all.

I don't like that idea.

I know I am likely to be burnt by many for keep advocating this, but everyone please take a chill pill, we are all really just guessing:

I really hope hedi takes over Chanel, men's and women's.
Chanel mens is cheesy and totally undesirable, i don't know if anyone really buys them.

As for Chanel women, much as I think the majority of the clothes are classic, impeccable etc , it also sometimes generates pretty ugly stuff like the irisdecent sneakers and some backpacks, those you can hardly call them 'beautiful'.
It has been quite staid for a while, and to continue being influential in the next one hundred years or so, some things/ elements need to go and new blood is absolutely necessary.

I also don't hope for a complete overhaul like changing logo and even shop fronts, those are classic and the brand value is simply too high, but I believe even an infant terrible like hedi would also be God fearing designing for a house like Chanel and respect its traditions, and what best with the guidance of Karl while the man is still alive and kicking?
Perhaps most importantly, the man has proved that he can moved merchandise in the stores.

This is also key. He could be talking about Vaccarello (him renouncing to Versus to go to a top brand) or about Hedi, which would make more sense because they were super friends and was happy he was designing for Saint Laurent. He must know something for sure! And the 'no comment' comment looks like he doesn't want to throw shade to Hedi, but that he feels betrayed in a way.

Maybe we are reading too much into it but I can't wait to know!

It can't be about Vaccarello ... she asked him about Hedi.

It's true, the highest bidder might not be Chanel, or Dior either. That's why I can't wait for the announcement!

I feel like we are back in 2007:lol:
In 2007 again, we had the same rumors of Hedi creating Chanel Homme. It's like an endless fantasy.
I'm bored of it...

The Bergé comment could also be about Dior. Maybe he doesn't want to say something against Bernard Arnault...
Sincerely, judging by his comment, it seems like it's about Dior. I can't believe that Chanel would make huge offers while they have already a very powerful/influencial designer...

If Chanel wanted to do a full Chanel Homme line , they could have done it between 2007 and 2012:idea:

Agree with you , Lola :flower:
Judging Instagram posting it seems for me too, that it's about Dior and not about Chanel.
Maybe he will do Chanel menswear but sincerely, how long will he do it than, years and years long? And it is not Karl's brand to decide who will replace him in case of his retire, Wertheimers have also to say :-) in this case, it is their brand.

^^Yeah, I read it, but he was talking in general. So who knows. Anyway, as I said, it would make much more sense if those words were dedicated to Hedi because of something he has done and isn't very 'moral'.

At the same time, Hedi doesn't look as a money-maniac, so he must be talking about prestige. And you can't get much higher than YSL (well, just Chanel and Dior), so it must be one of those two houses...

Dior to me sounds far-fetched. He is a control freak and LVMH doesn't let designers be that way. Also, he would do menswear too... That would mean a total of... 46544 collections, no? But then again, Dior is on its last legs, so maybe they are so desperate that see Hedi as the only solution. Who knows!

.. this may sound wild but I really think Karl has made some of the prettiest dresses.. ever :ninja::lol:.. Hedi should just get his own label, it's a bit abnormal to me why would someone [with resources] want to keep jumping from house to house working under some deceased person's parameters and big corporation demands.. when you can start your own label and you already have a large fanbase guaranteed. Like Tom Ford did, he's bothering no one anymore, just doing his own thing, films, cosmetics, he just seems to do whatever he wants on his own terms.

But if he was going to Chanel, please just let it be menswear, he makes men happy.. and admittedly creates nicer things for them... meanwhile women get multiple variations of this:
2yttklt.jpg

[livingly]

Karl may have fallen for cringe-worthy themes and really bad gimmicks (accessories included) but he always delivers at least one beautiful piece and over the years has done that groupie thing much much better than Hedi no matter how much he tries by embellishing it with photography, explanations, models, bands. I don't know who talked about Karl only exiting Chanel in a bag (ta-ta?) :mellow: , but that sounds like the sanest option lol..

Hedi starting working on the Menswear is actually a really great idea. They obviously want the transition to run as smoothly as possible, and like that he would slowly take the reigns of the house. And the debut Chanel Menswear line by Hedi Slimane? Talk about an epic blockbuster.

I'm so excited!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaybabycrzy
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->