high fashion advertisements

Reaction score
Who is in charge of the high fashion advertisments in high end companies? what would one have to major in to work on those types of campaigns? I'm going to UNC next year and they have a great communications school, where I was considering double majoring in advertising and photojournalism. How does that sound?

I just got my masters in advertising :smile:

Most of these companies have an in-house advertising department, however they sometimes contract/collabroate with outside ad agencies for campaigns.

This is not a high-end brand, but it is the only example I can think of at the moment; for VS' Pink Panty Poker campaign, VS worked with [SIZE=-1]Crispin Porter + Bogusky :smile:
[/SIZE]

What are you looking to do in the field of advertising? I wouldn't be opposed to being part of an in-house department, but do you think having photography experience could possibly give me an edge in getting a job?

It is definitely an advantage that you have photography skills :wink:

I have a lot of Account Planning experience, but I am aiming to be become an Account Executive someday. Pretty much the account side of things. I am hoping to get into a fashion-related field, in particular lingerie b/c I know a lot about it :smile:

I assume you are interested in the creative side of advertising? :smile:

You can't just say you want to get into "advertising", there is a whole world of functions that deal with advertising, especially at an ad agency. If you want to go into the creative side and create ads, its going to take you a while to reach that position. If you want to manage ad accounts for companies, even longer. Usually when you start out, you are a buyer who purchases air time for your agency's accounts. I'm not in advertising, I'm in marketing, but seeing that advertising is a sub-function of marketing used to facilitate a message in the marketing strategy, its important for me to understand its being. Also, my cousin works at an ad agency in Los Angeles and has exposed me to some areas of the business (he whent to UNC, haha)

Just do some research on some brands and see if they outsource the ad creations to an agency, or produce them in-house. That should answer the question as to where you should work; a fashion house, or an ad agency.

The studies you are doing will set you up nicely for a career in the advertising industry, just take advantage of internships and see what it is that you want to do in advertising.

^ Well, obviously with any career you have to work your way up. It is very rare you will land you dream job from the get-go. However, it is easier to get a job on the account side than the creative side b/c there are more people with creative concentrations than account concentration people.

And no, usually when you start out you are not a buyer. Not saying that doesn't happen, but that is usually not the case. Most likely you will start out being either an assistant or a junior, doing most of the behind the scene, nitty-gritty, and support stuff. Furthermore, the buyers are usually not thrown into that position. Most buyers choose to be buyers. Also, marketing is a sub-function of advertising, not the other way around.

Generally it is advised that you should start out on the agency side, and then go onto the client side. But that really depends on the person and what opportunities arises when you apply for a position :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crinklechiffon
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->