Industrie Magazine Premiere Issue : Anna Wintour

Thanks.

The Mert and Marcus ed was three years ago, that is about two lifetimes in fashion. I can see why one ed reminds people of the other, after all Katie Grand was the fashion editor / stylist for both, maybe she wanted to do an update on the idea. Also, Solve Sundsbo has done doll / mannequin eds - one with Coco Rocha for Numero (I think) and another with Iris Strubegger for Vogue Italia; it is not a unique concept, I have seen doll photo stories done by random modelmayhem type photographers. If a photographer / editor repeats themselves within a few months, more than likely I will take issue with it, unless the redo is beyond awesome. In this case, I like the Industrie ed because it is more fashion, but I also like the Pop Magazine / Mert and Marcus one (thanks for the links) because it is more "not human," like I wonder if that is an actual person in the picture or a doll or mannequin.

If Katie wanted to redo her idea then the remake has to be ten times better than the original. In terms of quality this editorial doesn't even come close to I'm a Marionette. Which is sad since Katie has had three years to gain more experience and skills so that when she does a remake of an editorial it should be better.

On another note I think it's rather odd that this story was published in Industrie. Yeah, I'm a Marionette was three years ago. But think about the audience for Industrie. Every person who picks up this magazine already knows a great deal about fashion. It's highly likely that a large percentage of the readership knows who Katie Grand is and knows what Pop Magazine was, and therefore will know about I'm Marionette. This audience has seen this story before, and they have seen much better interpretations. This is the type of readership you want to impress, not bored nor insult their memory.

I'm just slightly bothered by this because I know Grand can do better than this. She has done better than this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do like the Eniko ed, though the contrast is so high it's hurting my eyes

If Katie wanted to redo her idea then the remake has to be ten times better than the original. In terms of quality this editorial doesn't even come close to I'm a Marionette. Which is sad since Katie has had three years to gain more experience and skills so that when she does a remake of an editorial it should be better.

On another note I think it's rather odd that this story was published in Industrie. Yeah, I'm a Marionette was three years ago. But think about the audience for Industrie. Every person who picks up this magazine already knows a great deal about fashion. It's highly likely that a large percentage of the readership knows who Katie Grand is and knows what Pop Magazine was, and therefore will know about I'm Marionette. This audience has seen this story before, and they have seen much better interpretations. This is the type of readership you want to impress, not bored nor insult their memory.

I'm just slightly bothered by this because I know Grand can do better than this. She has done better than this.

I guess that I am not getting that the current ed is vastly inferior to the 2007 ed or that it needed to be ten times better, maybe if she was repeating a concept from three months ago, but three years ago, eh... I certainly would not expect a recycled idea to be worse but I wouldn't stress over it needing to be an editorial marvel either. Also, while I can see how the current ed sparked a memory of the M&M ed, it still looks different enough to me, as I noted in my previous post.

I think the kicker for this particular ed is showcasing a high profile model, Alessandra Ambrosio who is having a high fashion moment in an editorial where she is not wearing her skivvies and the tone is not sexy, playful or athletic. Also, I am not sure if industry insiders would be impressed if Katie Grand had a blockbuster idea and chose to publish it in a new magazine, even if it is for the fashion industry, they would probably be like, "you should have put that in a magazine where your name is on the masthead or try to get it picked up by one of the major editions of Vogue."

I think that it is a good ed and several others seem to like it - whether it was fresh to them or not. Of course that does not mean that everyone has to like it.

ETA (my computer crashed and I could not add it to my previous post on time:(
Katie selected some great clothes, Alessandra is doing some great posing - some of the best posing that I have seen in a recent ed from a model whose name is not Anja or Karlie, and Solve did a great job capturing it all on film or digitally, all in all one of the better Only Girl eds thus far this year.

I know someone asked about how many shots there were of Daria and Lara earlier; there's three of each.

They clearly read TFS as well, in the opening letter it says how the image of Daria was used in e-mails to press to say the magazine was coming, and how it made its way onto the web, where people were just saying "it looked like an out take from another shoot". Ha.

One down side to this magazine is the proof reading. It's horrendous. There five typo's in Katie Grand's interview alone, and countless others scattered through the magazine!

One downside to this magazine is the proof reading. It's horrendous. There five typo's in Katie Grand's interview alone, and countless others scattered through the magazine!

The recession has seen a dearth of decent sub-editors throughout the universe, because I'm even seeing that happen at places like the BBC.

Anyhow, I've got to the point in the Katie Grand piece where she's said:

“Authority is knowledge. If someone goes onto the Fashion Spot and writes that a magazine is dreadful, that’s different from Cathy Horyn saying it is dreadful because there is an authoritative, experienced voice behind the latter point of view.”

If someone goes onto the Fashion Spot and writes that they didn't buy your magazine because they didn't like it, that's a type of knowledge that's perhaps worth paying attention to, so you can discover how to make your magazine really resonate with all sorts of readers.

And in the end, if someone does purchase the product, they get to have an opinion on it, even if they seem offensively uninformed.

Anyone who goes onto the Fashion Spot and writes that the magazine was dreadful - that person is a potential convert, not someone to be dismissed. An editor should be excited at the prospect of getting her hands on those opinions and turning them around.

^ Absolutely agree with you tigerrouge. Looks like TFS is very popular into magazine world...

i still can't help but like katie, but she along with other editors have got to like it or lump it at the end of the day, tFS is basically where the customer speaks, if katie or other editors don't like it, thats tough luck
but i do slightly agree with her, alot of people put a magazine down saying its boring or whatever, then come 3 months down the line they look back and say 'OW! i liked that editorial at the time' and the same with collections, thats just IMHO
and i love how although as she basically says tFS hasn't got any worth, then why do all these editors come on here ? and check out what we post

There are phases of 'impressions' - sometimes you can be incredibly excited at the first sight of something, but bored with it within a week, other times you can purchase something half-heartedly and get around to reading it two months later, whereupon it turns out to be far more interesting than it seemed.

Some of today's models aren't exactly to my taste, so I have a habit of looking back at magazines from four years ago and suddenly appreciating.what I thought was awful at the time - but was still far better than what I see today.

yeah definitely, we all do it, but there are certain people on here that put things down constantly, yeah not everything is spot on but there is always something worth reading or looking at in most magazines
and i can guarantee katie has done the exact same thing, looking back after 3 months and going 'i actually like that now' when she was my age (17) and even now when she looks at magazines

After tigerrouge posted Katie Grand's comment about TFSers, I would LOVE to read the interviews with the stylists. Does anyone know where I can read them online? I would sincerely appreciate it :smile:!

And, though I like the styling and photography in Alessandra's editorial, she was COMPLETELY miscast. Honestly, it looks as if she has more powder on her body than Queen Elizabeth I wore during her entire lifetime! They could have easily cast a model who at least looked SOMEWHAT Asian and doll-like rather than casting a Brazilian bombshell with naturally darker skin. She just looks unnatural, creepy, and out of place.

I hope this mag will be available in my area ASAP. I searched ebay but couldn't find any..
Thanks for scanning those interviews, franchini.

I love Katie's interview it just really shows how she became such a huge stylist as today.

After tigerrouge posted Katie Grand's comment about TFSers, I would LOVE to read the interviews with the stylists. Does anyone know where I can read them online? I would sincerely appreciate it :smile:!

they are scanned and posted onto this thread
:flower:

vavavinny - I posted them on the previous page. :flower:

Although when I scanned the interviews, the text didn't come out so clearly, so hopefully you can still read them without too much trouble...

Katie Grand is overrated IMO.:innocent::rolleyes: Her work doesn't do much for me.:ninja:

I really like Eniko's ed, though.^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->