Jean Paul Gaultier Haute Couture S/S 2006 Paris

it doesn't look like it's all the same collection, I don't like that. but some of the dresses are really beautiful.

it reminds me of Sophia Kokosolaki. I'd like to see more but so far I am unimpressed.

I like the pleated stuff ... I sooooo wish I cud see/feel the pieces upclose!

Gaultier's Grecian couture frolic

By Suzy Menkes International Herald Tribune

The waters that divide haute couture and high style seem more muddied than ever as the spring/summer season closed on Wednesday. You could say that designers are paddling against the fashion current on the River Styx, just hoping to keep their ancient craft alive.

It also seems that couture is all Greek to the photographers, who were interested only in snapping Madonna making an hour-late entry at Jean Paul Gaultier's show. But the rock star's favorite costumier made a lively collection out of his Athenian theme.

With outfits named "Lesbos," "Aristotle" or "Sophocles," Gaultier showed how his couture skills have been honed. He sent out gracefully draped dresses, blouses with full pleated sleeves and even a new hybrid for the Aegean coast: his signature matelot sweater as a bouncy, horizontally striped chiffon top. The tailoring was equally streamlined, if familiar, and a backless tuxedo jacket was given the Greek touch with fine gilt chains.

Gaultier's ability to tell a new tale while keeping his own is admirable. The witty designer sent out in equal measure simple, elegant dresses and madcap pieces with beaded waists, bared belly buttons and even a leggy, folkloric outfit in cerulean blue.

It was the usual story of Gaultier wanting, understandably, to raise the pulse of his show - but falling back on the ready-to-wear principle that has served him so well: two parts classic to one part frolic. Think of witty Jackie Kennedy Onassis sunglasses, a gilded navel button and bosom covers made of stars, instead of the infamous Madonna cones. But there was also a delicious dusty pink dress tinged with gold or a shimmering cascade of mustard pleating. The result was a show that seemed more like a romp round the Mediterranean than a couture vision that had absorbed all Gaultier's Grecian inspirations.

Madonna ...

madonnaJPGCout06RXB.jpg

Vogue.co.uk

It doesn't seem very coherent to me, but some of this is truly beautiful.

I kind of like this but it's nothing mind blowing though... Too safe. Some of things are pretty but thats all.

I am not sure if I like or not...... It's like Jasmine from Aladdin meets Valentino meets prairie girl...... :ninja:

it wasn´t his most refined couture presentation but it was fun, witty and aproachable, it immediatelly reminded me of his summer 99 couture, also inspired on greece, this time though is done in a much more tongue in cheek way i thought.

Well, as worried as I was that I wouldn't like the collection because of the inspiration I've got to say there were so many beautiful looks. The black double breasted le smoking with heavy gold chain belt was classic, and most of the opening looks were among my favorites. The draped pieces were very beautiful, though I don't think many socialites will be able to pull off a bright yellow cage dress made up of tiny little pleats.

my favorites
00020m.jpg
00030m.jpg

00060m.jpg
00070m.jpg

00080m.jpg
00130m.jpg

00160m.jpg
00180m.jpg

00200m.jpg
00210m.jpg

00290m.jpg
00330m.jpg

00350m.jpg
00370m.jpg

style.com

just wanted to add, my one negative comment is that while the pieces were beautiful, the few balloon dresses felt very passe.

Last edited by a moderator:
well done but not his best collection.plus,euguenia's outfit in #52 is my favorite in this collection.

Last edited by a moderator:
review from style.com:

PARIS, janvier 25, 2006 – With their towering topknots and extra-dark shades, Jean Paul Gaultier's models looked like a corps of Parisian Bond girls setting out on an impossibly chic Greek odyssey. He likes a travel theme, and a strong woman, Jean Paul. (For proof of the latter, there was no need to look farther than the front row, where Madonna, his original eighties co-conspirator, was perched, causing much excitement and an hour's delay.)

But to the clothes. We've been to Russia and India with J.P.G. Tours in recent seasons. Now ancient Greece, via the Cyclades, has popped up on his itinerary, with all the picture-postcard costume opportunities that entails. Foustanellas (the multipleated short white skirts worn by evzone soldiers), goddess dresses (with a wave to Madame Grès), village-made cropped vests, and harem pants all made appearances.

If that conceit (or the very idea that a collection needs a conceit, for that matter) seems a tad anachronistic, Gaultier got away with it. His extraordinary powers of translation transform even the cheesiest souvenirs into covetable pieces. There was nothing folksy about the show's gold embroidery, nor its marvelously draped chiffon. And though corsets and bubble dresses can't actually be found in the Greek history books, who would have chosen to miss the white, minutely pleated bustier worn with navy pants, or the miraculous mille-feuille of pink chiffon trotted out by Mariacarla?

– Sarah Mower

00010m.jpg
00020m.jpg

00030m.jpg
00040m.jpg

00050m.jpg
00060m.jpg

style.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members