John Galliano - Designer, Creative Director of Maison Margiela

The only thing I love about John’s interviews is that he is one of the few designers who really gets to talk about his work and passion. Nobody tries to over intellectualize things or even touch on culture as a whole with him. I like to hear designers talk about their craft.

He always seems like he is performing for me anyway. When he wears his suit, he is on representation so…
Great point.

I think the reason why no one else is ever asked about the actual craft of their designs is that no other designers really have the capacity or interest! They wouldn't know what to say if asked!

Great point.

I think the reason why no one else is ever asked about the actual craft of their designs is that no other designers really have the capacity or interest! They wouldn't know what to say if asked!
I think a lot of designers, established designers would.
Sometimes interviewers are so caught up with asking about inspirations rather than talking about techniques and fabrics.
People sometimes expect the creative process to be methodical when most of the times it can be chaotic, start from one image or feeling and then evolve to something else.

I think Roseberry would be interesting to hear from. I think Ghesquiere, Philo and others would be interesting to hear too.

I’ve always said that you recognized a true designer only when he/she talks about fabrics. When a designer talks about fabrics, it means that she/he has a geek approach to the thing, push fabrics development and is interested about the making of things as much as the look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DamascoTricepudo
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->