Who Will Succeed John Galliano At Dior? #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvatore

Wanderlust
Reaction score
(Reuters) - French fashion house Dior said on Tuesday it is firing John Galliano after complaints were lodged with police that their star designer made offensive and anti-Semitic comments.

Dior said it decided to start procedures to fire Galliano after seeing a video clip that purportedly shows the designer shouting abuse at people in a Paris bar.
"I very firmly condemn what was said by John Galliano, which totally contradicts the values which have always been defended by Christian Dior," Christian Dior Chief Executive Sidney Toledano said in a statement.

Reuters - http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/01/us-dior-galliano-idUSTRE7203HX20110301?

I think LVMH has made the right decision firing John Galliano considering the circumstances. It is sad and shocking how it came though and the fall of a fantastic designer that lately lost his spark and now his job.

What are your thoughts on this and the future of Dior ? Do you think it will lose some more of its appeal ? Do you think the aesthetics will change like many of the older fashion houses have such as Balmain, Balenciaga, Pucci, and many others ?

And the big question ...... who do you think will replace John ?

(Was not quite sure about posting this in the thread in Rumours section ... )

I don't want to see it go the way of the other houses you've listed. I love that when you see a Dior dress you always know it instantly. I hope whoever takes over continues to take inspiration from past works.

I don't know why people are suggesting Tisci or Haider A. for his replacement, is that likely? Is Dior a step up from Givenchy? I thought Dior, Givenchy, Balenciaga and YSL were all equally prestigious.

Hm, if someone would replace him it would be someone with his own label and not working for bigwigs like Lanvin and the like.

definitely the right decision from a 'mora' as well as creditability point of view, considering the video.
personally, i think it was about time for dior to have a 'make-over' in terms of the designer as like you said, it lately lost its spark but obviously, this end was unneccessary.

i could imagine one of his assitants, respectively second designer-in-chief (is there such thing?) will take over until everything is sorted out

I agree with carmen_kass ^^
Tisci needs to stay at Givenchy. It would be a very stupid move as Givenchy is just now building back up. Why change something that's working so far ?

Haider Ackermann would be interesting, but for some reason I don't think he would be a good fit.

Another person I do not want there is Gareth Pugh !!! That would be tragic.

Absolutely someone in the Dior team will be the replacement

I don't know why people are suggesting Tisci or Haider A. for his replacement, is that likely? Is Dior a step up from Givenchy? I thought Dior, Givenchy, Balenciaga and YSL were all equally prestigious.

I thought so too but I think Dior is one of the larger branch in LVMH. And also when you see a documentary or read an article, they always say 'promoted to' Dior,,,,,,
Anyway I think Tisci is perfect at Givenchy, I don't think it is wise to pluck Tisci away from the house he has been working so hard in and it's been only recently that Givenchy became a household name and caught the attention of the fashion world with Tisci's aesthetics. I think if Tisci went to Dior, both house will suffer. I would LOVE to see what Olivier Theyskens could do for the house, it would be a perfect match I think,,,,:heart:

Theyskens and Alessandra still need big name jobs right? I like they'd both be great for Dior! The ready to wear doesn't sell well anyway, the brand makes most of it's money from beauty, fragrances & accessories, Theyskens could go mad with Dior's budget!

Theyskens and Alessandra still need big name jobs right? I like they'd both be great for Dior! The ready to wear doesn't sell well anyway, the brand makes most of it's money from beauty, fragrances & accessories, Theyskens could go mad with Dior's budget!

OMG, I just got chills down my spine thinking about Theyskens FINALLY doing couture and not just for ANY couture but for DIOR!! I hope Anna Wintour can do something to make this happen!!
Gareth Pugh for Dior is strangely tentalising!

Alessandra Facchinetti is not a bad idea... and Hussein Chalayan came to my mind, idk why, maybe just because i love his designs. :D

Gareth is pretty much the first person that comes to my mind, but I can't imagine what he gonna do with Couture.

I hope that whoever it'll be, that they give the designer enough freedom to create his own interpretation of Dior instead of the endless stream of 'new looks' with a different theme over it. I think it can be very interesting and I hope it will be a younger designer with a fresh outlook on fashion

do people really think whoever follows will be giveng the freedom to go crazy with fashion? galliano's collections have been very dull for a while also cause it was what the brand wanted, financial crisis and all, or am i wrong here?

Oh my God .... Lacroix !!!!
That's a wonderous idea. :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"