Who Will Succeed John Galliano At Dior? #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sidney can try all he wants to avoid Galliano and play the last 15 years down, but he can not erase the fact the John is Dior and Dior has become John. It is part of Dior's DNA now and you can't just erase DNA...instead of fighting it, work with it. The article leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Gaytten doesn't care, he just designs it...so sad and stupid!

^ I don't want Bill to take over but that's a bit unfair to say he doens't care. He's worked at the label for years and has clearly stated he wants the top job. That to me means he does care about Dior.

Its all BS...people who could afford it, paid good money to be a part of that fantasy and wanted to experience that madness...:judge::innocent:

^ I don't want Bill to take over but that's a bit unfair to say he doens't care. He's worked at the label for years and has clearly stated he wants the top job. That to me means he does care about Dior.

Basically I do not hate him, hate indeed Sydney. I realize that Bill try to establish the image of John to Dior

But if it is to make drastic changes, just changes everything. Even if it takes too long for us to adapt.: (

My real wish is that Dior sink (or become the new Elie Saab), it is very easy to use people and discards them. I was very disappointed in Sydney in fact. No one takes my head that this was all a trap for John.: Angry:

^ I don't want Bill to take over but that's a bit unfair to say he doens't care.

I don't think we were saying he doesn't care about the job. In that article he's quoted as saying he doesn't care when someone asked him about the gloves, which I agree comes off as kind of a weird response from a designer, especially for the house of Dior. I'm pretty sure those Dior gloves cost as much as a regular winter coat for the average person, so I would hope he does care about how its maintained once it leaves the show room, as I'm sure the customer would like to know.

Yes, this is exactly what I was saying...he doesn't care that he made a dress out of glove leather (which is sooo hard to care for...) which, if you ask me, means he doesn't care about the customer. This is just the first of MANY problems...he cared, apparently, when John was doing the work...wonder why?

Galliano made garish cartoony clothes that were a total mockery of the elegance that Dior stood for.

Of course he is a genius and did amazing things for Dior and he must be credited for it. But in the past few years his collections became increasingly inane and out of touch. I am not sad to see him go and I DO NOT wish for him back. His contribution should not be erased, but I wouldn't mind a restart, as brands often require after over a decade of a one point of view.

Dior cannot afford to keep Gaytten, they need a virtuoso, Gaytten isn't one. Clearly. But he can hold the fort until they find one. And for now, these clothes, which are more like the clothes that actually made it into the shop under Galliano's direction, will keep the cash registers clinging.

Hmm......how I see it...

Galliano = found the dream and designed the idea
Gayten = simplified it and brought it back to earth

...that combo is deadly, it's hard to see one without the other. With the amount of eyes set on fashion throughout the world (now, more than ever in this day of being constantly connected to the internet), to a lot of us I'm sure Galliano was the identity of Dior. It's sad to see it overwith...hmm.........

They might as well find one separate designer for the couture and keep Gayten with bringing those couture ideas back down to earth....

Really...because when John was still designing for Dior, Dior 57th Street always got runway pieces (to sell and on clothing racks) as well as "watered down" runway pieces/staples...Personally, I don't think John made a "mockery" of Dior in the slightest. Maybe he toyed around with one era in fashion a little too much towards the end, but that certainly doesn't denote mockery. And the "out of touch" vs. "absolutely stunning couture" debate is just too deadly to start again...I've come to terms with the fact that everyone views his last four or so years at Dior very differently...I don't see mockery at all, but to each their own. A re-start for Dior is starting to seem like a very scarey, circus-like event which I really do not see ending well for any involved party. Just have this very weird feeling about it all...

And the two designer argument is invalid. I'm sorry, I just don't see that working. They need one designer, with a clear and consistent vision between couture and RTW...too many hands in the kitchen and the result will be a major issue. I don't think Gaytten can handle it and the glove leather comment really just adds insult to injury. Again, this tells me he is a designer who really doesn't care about his women. Of course designers make frivolous articles of whatever, but I have never seen a "designer" come out of the woodwork and state that he just designs it and really doesn't care what happens after that...I CAN NOT and WILL NOT even attempt to fathom that!...

I'm tempted to just unsubscribe to this whole thing and say wake me up if and when you ever figure this out- it is starting to remind me of the mockery they have made of the sainted Halston brand... :cry:

The only name that comes to my mind is Olivier Theyskens.
He would make the label feminine, chic but with a rock and rebel twist.
I was so sad when he left Nina Ricci...he is my only option...

Carine Roitfeld Weighs In On Marc Jacobs Going to Dior

It’s been a week since Paris Fashion Week ended, and at least that long since we’ve heard any rumors about a Dior successor. Well, we still don’t know a darned thing, but a fashion heavyweight, in the form of Carine Roitfeld, just gave her vote of approval to Marc Jacobs.
Vogue UK caught up with Carine at a book signing for Irreverent yesterday, and caught her in a chatty mood. She told the glossy, “He understands the company, how it works and how to work with them. He’s been given the shoulders to do the Dior job already. He’s never done couture though, so I’d be really excited to see him do couture for Dior. He’s a very smart person. If Marc gets the job, I won’t miss a single show.” (Obviously Dior would become the hottest ticket in town.)

And what about if someone else gets the job? Awkward! Carine said, “It’s hard because there have been so many names floating around now that they might know that they weren’t the first choice.” We have a feeling that whoever finally does get that job is going to think it’s a very, very good thing and not be too fussed about whether or not they were the first choice. However, we suppose she could have a point.

If designer X gets the job instead of Marc, will all the critics be saying “What if..” and comparing hypothetical Marc Jacobs creations to whatever the new hypothetical Dior designer sends down the runway? That would be even more annoying than being compared to John Galliano, whose design shoes are already going to be notoriously hard to fill. Anyway. We’re still waiting.

fashionista

^I really hope Marc Jacobs doesn't get the job with his gimmicks and everything.

I really hope they get someone before Dior turns into a crappy brand designed by Bill Gaytten.

They can go round and round, but in the end there's no one who can do John Galliano's job better than John Galliano. Dior needs him back, fashion needs him back.

I know it will never happen, but Olivier Theyskens has my vote. I want him to bring back creativity and fantasy to fashion, it's been missing for the past 2 and a half years :(

Augh, I really don't want to see Marc there.....Tisci > Jacobs. I'm sorry, but Marc knows how to give a show, how to entertain but it's very heavy handed and LV isn't known for it's garments.

Come on LVMH announce the new designer already...it's been 7 months.

Yes aftr seeing Olivier at Theory and his last collection for Nina Ricci, it is obvious he is capable of doing couture and RTW. I know Theory would hate losing him

UGH....bring Oliver to Dior now...i dont even care about anything else, i actualy think he would make a better job than Galliano (cause i was truly bored in his last colections just liked the couture but ok he is a genious) im really rooting for him even knowing he wont be there

I think it's become too much of a joke to wait this long to see who will "succeed" Dior. It's not like the "iPhone 5" is coming out, c'mon LVMH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamon53
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->