John Galliano - Designer, Creative Director of Maison Margiela

In his own, Galliano missed his own brand, the corner where he could be himself without all that pressure of "other´s designer inheritance" that curtailed and limited his creativity. It would be great to have your own couture house and create your own heritage! How brave!

I feel sad for Renzo Rosso who picked up the injured bird and healed it with lots of love. But that bird has to fly to its own sky and whether good or bad, LVMH has to return his nest.

Last edited:
John Galliano Haute Couture and own brand would be fantastic...
He is not fit for an Italian house or more precisely Italian houses aren't fit for him (though he could be epic at Dolce & Gabbana)
For Fendi, Silvia alone is more than enough, her own collections were pleasant and far superior to anything Kim Jones ever brought in Rome, and I would not move if he choked on the largest cannolo ever.

But I would be really curious to see what John could do at a house like YSL and Balenciaga. Those houses suit perfectly his crafts, and his couture.

I feel like Renzo Rosso was almost robbed. He contributed to the redemption of the man and then, after one critically acclaimed collection, the man leaves, go back to « daddy » despite the fact that no collection has been presented since January. It’s all very free at Margiela lol!
I don’t think Rosso got the short end of the stick: In the decade since Galliano took over at Margiela, the company’s profile has grown exponentially. The amount of Margiela boutiques has grown, and the brand is now known beyond just hard-core fashion fans. So if Rosso is really upset, he can use the big fat piles of money John Galliano has brought in to dry his tears.

^true and if anything a designer of John's calibre doing Margiela is a HUGE factor in the reason why the label hasn't fallen by the wayside/out of cultural relevance the way Margiela's contemporary Ann Demeulemeester (the label) did after Ann left and yes, has continued making money.

If his proposed deal with LVMH is about getting his own label back (maybe to run on a smaller scale than in his Dior years) I'd be very happy for him.

The perspective of him getting back at his own brand is welcomed.
Now, maybe they should start with fragrances first to see if the name John Galliano has still a commercial potential beyond the hype of social media (because the brand itself was never profitable).

He hasn’t presented a collection since January so indeed, he probably needs an environment where the commercial pressure and the deadlines aren’t restrictive in the creative process.

I think the concept of Demi Couture would be great for him, if he decides to show 1 time a year for example.
What is yous guys talmbout he can't do "Italian" ?
He could barely do « Belgian »…
^true and if anything a designer of John's calibre doing Margiela is a HUGE factor in the reason why the label hasn't fallen by the wayside/out of cultural relevance the way Margiela's contemporary Ann Demeulemeester (the label) did after Ann left and yes, has continued making money.

If his proposed deal with LVMH is about getting his own label back (maybe to run on a smaller scale than in his Dior years) I'd be very happy for him.
Margiela was already doing good after Martin and before John compared to all of it contemporaries.
The name Margiela and it heritage resonates more in terms of style and influence than Ann Demeulemeester tbh.

I actually think that Margiela the brand has done a huge favor to John as it has forced him to get « in the streets ». He was out of his comfort zone.

Now, maybe they should start with fragrances first to see if the name John Galliano has still a commercial potential beyond the hype of social media (because the brand itself was never profitable).
The fragrances the house put out years ago were flops, so I’m not sure I’d start there. On the other hand…

It might not be a bad idea to work with Diptyque to relaunch the famous candle and put out a scent based on it. In the early 2000s, Essence of John Galliano came in a room spray, and many people bought it and wore it as a personal fragrance — the Galliano candle was a real cult sensation twenty years ago. I have a bottle of it still, and when I took it to my local Diptyque store, sales associates’ and customers’ jaws hit the floor. Everyone wanted to smell it, even though the candle was just ten feet away. (The Essence of J.G. candle normally just sits there on the sidelines at the boutiques, looking as dusty and unloved as Bois Ciré or Maquis.)

Make that a perfume, launched right at the beginning of autumn. It would sell like crazy and be a perfect way to reintroduce the brand onto the scene.

IMG_6947.jpeg

The fragrances the house put out years ago were flops, so I’m not sure I’d start there. On the other hand…

It might not be a bad idea to work with Diptyque to relaunch the famous candle and put out a scent based on it. In the early 2000s, Essence of John Galliano came in a room spray, and many people bought it and wore it as a personal fragrance — the Galliano candle was a real cult sensation twenty years ago. I have a bottle of it still, and when I took it to my local Diptyque store, sales associates’ and customers’ jaws hit the floor. Everyone wanted to smell it, even though the candle was just ten feet away. (The Essence of J.G. candle normally just sits there on the sidelines at the boutiques, looking as dusty and unloved as Bois Ciré or Maquis.)

Make that a perfume, launched right at the beginning of autumn. It would sell like crazy and be a perfect way to reintroduce the brand onto the scene.

View attachment 1290121
It still exists…In France at least. There’s a spray version too.
But it’s for Diptyque so it’s not like he can just make it a fragrance.
John’s own campaigns have always be tragic and the whole marketing around his own house has always been questionable.
His aesthetic for his own house has never been « easy » and the very ugly licenced products and diffusion lines didn’t helped in terms of perception.

But yes, I think with the proper positioning he can comeback in the world of fragrances. Mutiny for Margiela was good and he did worked in Russia after his dismissal from Dior for a beauty brand if I remember well.

I hope that he will be able to negotiate some kind of partial ownership on his own brand though.

I loved when he commissioned Julien d'Ys to do the campaigns. They were beautiful but had no commercial value.

Who is this kid idea of Galliano Couture and fragrances came to? Bernard is still in the right mind and he probbably still not forgot when he tried to do same with Lacroix. Who better than them know what was going on there behind closed doors, who actually designed and how it performed commercially.
Keep these ridiculous rumours coming! The only place Galliano should go after Margiela is some fashion school

John at a fashion school would be a nightmare lol. Constant rambling in fake accent, creepy laugh and other strange sounds, echo chamber of students racing to be the biggest *** licker.
I think John’s capacity to put in character is quite astonishing. I wonder when he does public appearances if he is channellling someone or the idea of « John Galliano » because if you see him in the streets of Paris, from the way he dresses to everything, the contrast is astonishing.
And I think he is the only designer like that.

Rick Owens is Rick Owens, Tom is Tom, Isabel Marant is Isabel Marant and even Karl was Karl. But John is clearly in performance mode lol

View attachment 1290121
I still have one, I treasure it. It's their best candle ever !

I still have one, I treasure it. It's their best candle ever !

It is still there:
Better stock up, because if LVMH were to launch JG perfumes, they would discontinue the Dyptique licence (and Dyptique does not belong to LVMH, yet).

It is still there:
Better stock up, because if LVMH were to launch JG perfumes, they would discontinue the Dyptique licence (and Dyptique does not belong to LVMH, yet).
It was released almost 20 years ago. Don’t you think there’s a loop hole in the way they renamed it for it to still be in production if ever LVMH launch JG perfumes?
It can still exist as Essence of JG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
i94marisk
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->