John Galliano - Designer, Creative Director of Maison Margiela

It still exists…In France at least. There’s a spray version too.
But it’s for Diptyque so it’s not like he can just make it a fragrance.
John’s own campaigns have always be tragic and the whole marketing around his own house has always been questionable.
His aesthetic for his own house has never been « easy » and the very ugly licenced products and diffusion lines didn’t helped in terms of perception.

But yes, I think with the proper positioning he can comeback in the world of fragrances. Mutiny for Margiela was good and he did worked in Russia after his dismissal from Dior for a beauty brand if I remember well.

I hope that he will be able to negotiate some kind of partial ownership on his own brand though.
The candle is still sold in America, though it's usually only sold in the boutiques. Yes, the room spray is still available in Europe, but it's been unavailable in America for many years. The candle is a collaboration — Diptyque has to have a licensing agreement to use the John Galliano name — so LVMH should be able to come to an agreement to use it for promotion of the relaunched brand. The Essence of John Galliano candle was pushed to the back of the collection (and rechristened "Essence of J.G.") after the 2011 scandal, so I'm sure Diptyque would be happy to see a former top-selling product revived.

It is still there:
Better stock up, because if LVMH were to launch JG perfumes, they would discontinue the Dyptique licence (and Dyptique does not belong to LVMH, yet).
John Galliano launched perfumes from 2008 to 2013, and yet the Diptyque candle is still around. The Galliano fragrances didn't really make much of a splash, and one used to be able to buy for next-to-nothing online a few years ago. I never saw the Galliano perfumes for sale anywhere except the Garment District wholesalers, but they're long gone from there now, too...

jg perfume.jpg

John Galliano launched perfumes from 2008 to 2013, and yet the Diptyque candle is still around. The Galliano fragrances didn't really make much of a splash, and one used to be able to buy for next-to-nothing online a few years ago. I never saw the Galliano perfumes for sale anywhere except the Garment District wholesalers, but they're long gone from there now, too...

View attachment 1290264
That bottle looks like it was bought from Bad Dragon.

Even his perfume bottle is overdesigned. Chill out, John.
To be fair, Galliano's fragrance license was held by Selective Beauty, a lower-tier company that also put out Trussardi, Sonia Rykiel, Benetton, Mauboussin, and the like. I don't think the company even exists now. They weren't necessarily bad, but he didn't have a powerhouse like P&G Prestige, Estée Lauder, Shiseido, etc., backing him up. That's why Galliano got this...

pmdajg.jpg

...and Alexander McQueen, who was licensed to YSL Beauté, got this:

mcqueenkingdom.jpg

I have zero recollection of those Galliano perfumes 🤣😭😬

The only place I want to see him go is back to his namesake. Dior or Fendi make absolutely no sense, I am genuinely confused how his name came up for those spots. Galliano’s hyper-intellectual dramatics will not translate to the sales LVMH has grown accustomed to from these brands. If he retired that would be even better…

Could it be possible that he just retires altogether? He’s proven his genius so many times and has such an illustrious legacy. I also doubt he’s doing poorly in the finance department either.

It would be reductive for him to go to Dior and quite the disaster for everyone involved.

This board seems to have forgotten that his last few years at Dior were tiresome and I really don’t want to see more of the same variations of the new look from him. Dior is a snooze and I can’t imagine they want to alienate their boring base right now.

Let him go to his own label where he can be chaotic and be himself. Hire a team who can do commercial collections that sale in the luxury space so that the house can sustain itself.

The only place I want to see him go is back to his namesake. Dior or Fendi make absolutely no sense, I am genuinely confused how his name came up for those spots. Galliano’s hyper-intellectual dramatics will not translate to the sales LVMH has grown accustomed to from these brands. If he retired that would be even better…
Oh LVMH has grown accustomed to not so great sales. Look at how they have cut corners at brands like Moynat…

But yes, the fear for Galliano on his own, would be for him to go back to full mode what we saw in the Margiela Couture show…Which translate in engagement in Social Media but doesn’t necessarily in clothes people would die to wear.

The sentiment around the collection was really focused on the drama of the show and not so much on « I love this dress ».

I actually think that there are less people who loved his clothes than his shows. And for me, it’s always about the clothes.

Which translate in engagement in Social Media but doesn’t necessarily in clothes people would die to wear.

I think that social media engagement will be hard to translate into sales for any brand at this point. It is still luxury market and a majority of these social media comments and interactions could be from people who admire luxury fashion but doesnt necessarily consume it. Unless Margiela comes up with a very distinguishable, basic, and slightly affordable merch, it will be a while until that collection translate into sales.

Thats why logo tees are still so popular and brands won't stop selling them. Even if they are overpriced af for a t shirt, its probably the most affordable thing in their boutiques that these social media people wont mind spending on it. a 500eu logo tee will always seem more reasonable than a 5k embroidered dress.

I think this text is worth reading:

am i the only one getting tired of designers leaving -or being fired- every other month? at this point, we are all numb and basically desensitized to the fate of most fashion designers. not only are significant houses without any creative directors at the moment, such as chanel or givenchy for instance, several talented designers also happen to be jobless. i'm starting to think that perhaps they are sick of fashion, too, and would rather not engage with it. what's exciting about galliano leaving and going to another corporate brand? he will turn 64 in november and i can't help but think that young talents are constantly ignored when it comes to key appointments. this means that the same old names keep circulating from one brand to another and there isn't any renewal in fashion. at the same time, the spectacle revels in drama and speculation, because it makes shock headlines while concealing the simple fact that fashion has never been as unchallenging and predictable as it is today. there's just one thing you have to bear in mind: talking about the clothes is démodé right now, and the spectacle will hardly tolerate it. give us some more virginies and johns, while experienced studio assistants like peter hawkings can't even hang on to their job for an actual year. nevermind the human cost of it all: this is great entertainment for the ruthless spectacle that fashion has become, and a necessary diversion that prevents us from considering the real challenge our industry is facing: most designer collections look exactly the same and we are drained by the lack of creativity -and originality- which defines the times we are in. it truly is the same old scene, and expect more nostalgia to come as a result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sidedoll
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->