Karl Lagerfeld to leave Chanel?

to me it feel like the death of Shakespeare. You do not see it now but you will understand what I was talking about when you lose that. The grief will be for ever

heartless and ungratefull. Nothing comes close to the brilliance that is Karl Lagerfeld only a few and those are dead, history will prove.

alber leaving lanvin... that's the same feeling as karl leaving chanel.
alber's kind of become synonymous with the name Lanvin, no?
he's the one who was there since the original Jeanne Lanvin left... The same story with Karl and Coco Chanel.

What kind of thought process do you have? this is a put down to one of the greatness minds Couture has ever had. The Man is independently wealthy from his own family and never needed to work. Nursing home<?>.. good grief please educate yourself and think before you speak.

Jean Stranquist

I'm a huge fan of Lagerfeld! I do though, have a problem with the way people worship every time he (or demands someone to) makes a stitch. And I would have to disagree about his Couture work. His RTW collections were by far his best work. I would even go as far to say that ,as a whole, his Couture collections brought Couture a step back in the past couple years.

But I do have to give you credit for putting Karls design statement into a perfect sentance "independently wealthy from his own family and never needed to work"

I have mixed feelings about this...

I am desperately aching for something to turn the fashion industry on its head. And as much as I love Chanel, perhaps some new blood is just what it needs.

Then again, Karl for Chanel and Alber for Lanvin are so synonymous, the thought of a different designer at either fashion house is difficult to imagine. However, if this were to happen, Alber at Chanel and Olivier at Lanvin sounds promising.

At this point it's all hearsay, so there is no purpose in speculating further. Although, coming from Diane, I will be taking this rumor with a few grains of salt rather than just one.

oh my,aren't some of us overdoing a bit :lol: KL be all end all...a bit absurd to think. as far as this rumour-well,as diane said it is as such,just a rumour at the moment so we will see. of course wasn't it diane who initially posted about the rumour-mill regarding olivier? so there may in fact be some substance in what she says. plus diane is in paris and has volumes of connections in the paris fashion circuit.

perhaps this last court battle chanel is involved in has got to KL? who knows?

i just dunno what to think about the prospects. i mean i am no bow-down,fawning KL faithful and while i understand the substance behind his reviving of chanel and creating a chanel that was distinct,i can also understand the need for a change and something more fresh.

Am I the only person who thinks he should soon leave Fendi instead of Chanel?

I love Karl with/for Chanel.

His Fendi work, on the other hand, really leaves a lot to be desired. I do not even know how involved he is with his Fendi collections anymore. That brand needs a serious facelift and some new blood, because all apparel Fendi has to offer is a sad excuse to sell bags, bags and more bags. I do not know if Karl's presence even matters at this point, nor the tiny leftovers of his creativity for Fendi after loading all of it to Chanel and his own line.

the musical chairs/ designer-roulette thing is rather bizarre to me.

but oh my...no Karl at Chanel? :blink: I'll need to doublecheck that I'm not living in a Truman Show world.

"Chanel is an institution, and you have to treat an institution like a wh*re – and then you get something out of her." by Karl Lagerfeld

Really hope he will continue treating Chanel like a wh*re :(

Definitely legit

"Dear Shaded Viewers,

This is not a fact until you officially read it somewhere else but rumour has it that Karl Lagerfeld will not renew his contract at Chanel and that Albert Elbaz will take his place and Olivier Theyskens will take Albert's place at Lanvin. Both choices make perfect sense to me. Schaparelli has decided to change directions and do a not so expensive line . Nothing is engraved in cement, these are still just rumours you will have to wait and see.
Later,

Diane"

From Ashadedview.com

Just a rumor but I wouldnt be surprised if it was true.

This is not a fact until you officially read it somewhere else but rumour has it that Karl Lagerfeld will not renew his contract at Chanel and that Albert Elbaz will take his place and Olivier Theyskens will take Albert's place at Lanvin. Both choices make perfect sense to me. Schaparelli has decided to change directions and do a not so expensive line . Nothing is engraved in cement, these are still just rumours you will have to wait and see.
Albert Elbaz will take his place and Olivier Theyskens will take Albert's place at Lanvin.
Albert Elbaz
She spelled Schiaparelli wrong as well :yuk:

Last edited by a moderator:
^have you ever heard of a type-o? :rolleyes:

and you can keep the condescending caps.

I have mixed feelings about this...

I am desperately aching for something to turn the fashion industry on its head. And as much as I love Chanel, perhaps some new blood is just what it needs.

Then again, Karl for Chanel and Alber for Lanvin are so synonymous, the thought of a different designer at either fashion house is difficult to imagine. However, if this were to happen, Alber at Chanel and Olivier at Lanvin sounds promising.

At this point it's all hearsay, so there is no purpose in speculating further. Although, coming from Diane, I will be taking this rumor with a few grains of salt rather than just one.
I agree.

As much as I do love Karl for Chanel, the prospect of something entirely new at the house is incredibly exciting. On the other hand, while I'm positive Alber for Chanel would be perfect, I still am so attached to the idea of Alber for Lanvin. It's just SO perfect. I'd really, really miss him at the house.

And now with Olivier figuring into this mess, my feelings have become even more mixed. I don't want him house hopping anymore! I want Olivier for Olivier. Period.

^I wonder if Alber could do both Chanel/Lanvin, but that maybe be too much and Lanvin would suffer as a result.

I'd just love to see something, anything new at Chanel - it's just got very gimmicky. Then it would leave Karl to focus on Fendi and his own label, and I've always preferred his designs at both Fendi & his own label than at Chanel.

I would want Alber to create an empire his own.

I know this is the worst time in terms of economy and all that, but I would love Alber to have his own signature line with basic pieces in the beginning and later grow to become an even more prominent name in Paris if that is possible, as well as designing Lanvin for many many years to come.

His stuff is so gorgeous, lethally beautiful and sexy, I wish I could see two collections from him every season instead of just one Lanvin. But maybe that is not his aspiration.

To say the least, I would have loved to drool over anything he does rather than seeing something by Theyskens at this point. I, like both Rochas and Ricci, am so over him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Karl Lagerfeld is going to die anyway, sooner or later. He will eventually be replaced by someone, new blood will come, it's just a matter of time. Unless what happened to Dior (Galliano's disappointing collections) happen to Chanel, I guess we will all be missing Karl.

I'm looking forward to the future of Chanel.

Albert does not have the personality to carry Chanel.
Chanel's commercial success is and has always been tied to the extraordinary persona of its designers, which is why Karl is perfect for the brand.
Yes, it's gimmicky and repetitive and commercial, but, as someone else said, people tolerate that because it's from Karl and would react very differently if it was presented by someone else.
At this point, when Karl leaves Chanel, it will become like Gucci after Tom: an accessory brand with a semi-anonymous team of designers producing mediocre clothes. Or even worst, like Valentino after Valentino: Karl Lagerfeld copycats doing a pale imitation of the master.

On the other hand, I would weep bitter tears if Albert leaves Lanvin. He has found a niche dressing the 'Luxe Parisian Sophisticate' and the women desperate to emulate that mythical figure. His retiring, discreet and intellectual personality is perfectly suited to the mystique of the brand and its target customers. Albert is Lanvin, and he has still so much to offer the brand that it would be a huge mistake to let him go at that point.

Lastly, Olivier needs his own brand. He needs an investor who understands him and his fashion vision, has realistic financial expectation and is clever enough to surround him with a team of prosaic and down-to-hearth people who will curb his romantic tendencies without hindering his creativity.
Olivier cannot keep on doing paid stages at various brands with their own agenda.

^ well good luck to Olivier with finding that magical investor who is ready to throw away bags of money just to keep him designing clothes that no one buys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NavidNoor
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->