Karl Lagerfeld to leave Chanel?

^^well actually the main reason why his clothes didn't sell was because of poor management. The production costs were unnessecarily off the chart, the delivery to shops was never on time, the pricing was ridiculous, there was no real accessory development (the biggest money maker for fashion brands), etc.
Basically, Olivier was roaming free and since the boy as a very flimsy link to reality, it was a disaster.

This is why I said with the right team around him he could succeed. He has the respect of the fashion community, the support of the the top fashion magazines, and contrary to popular belief, their are women who are willing to buy his clothes but at the right price.

His brand should easily make a profit (not a Gucci kind of profit, of course), if it's done well and given enough time.
Just look at Galliano.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I agree with everything Harumi said.

Karl has to stay at Chanel. Alber has to stay at Lanvin. Oliver needs his own line.

It's been confirmed that Karl and Alber aren't going anywhere so that's that.

And whoever made up the rumour is an idiot. His name is Alber not Albert.

^ Theyskens had his own line... At least years ago I owned a couple dresses that were just labeled THEYSKENS, and not anything to do with Nina Ricci

the death of fashion? fashion will be over when he leaves ?

:unsure: :blink:

Anyways it was about time and I'm happy he is is going ( if this is true). I prefer his karl Lagarfield clothes, over the uninspiring stuff he does at Chanel.

I hope Alber is able to design w/o restraints, if he goes over to Chanel.

^^well actually the main reason why his clothes didn't sell was because of poor management. The production costs were unnessecarily off the chart, the delivery to shops was never on time, the pricing was ridiculous, there was no real accessory development (the biggest money maker for fashion brands), etc.
Basically, Olivier was roaming free and since the boy as a very flimsy link to reality, it was a disaster.

This is why I said with the right team around him he could succeed. He has the respect of the fashion community, the support of the the top fashion magazines, and contrary to popular belief, their are women who are willing to buy his clothes but at the right price.

His brand should easily make a profit (not a Gucci kind of profit, of course), if it's done well and given enough time.
Just look at Galliano.

He designs difficult clothes that make women look awful. Seriously, nobody looks good in his experimental cuts. For that price, women want to look like a million bucks. And they didn't, so they didn't buy. Trust me: the woman, who pays for Balmain's ridiculous dresses and jackets, could easily pay for Rochas or Ricci if she had liked what she had seen.

Galliano does create flattering clothes and he has a much bigger following than Theyskens ever did. He puts together beautiful pieces when you remove all the make-up and hair.

As of Karl. I'll believe it when I see it.

^ Theyskens had his own line... At least years ago I owned a couple dresses that were just labeled THEYSKENS, and not anything to do with Nina Ricci

Yeah I remember and Madonna wore half of them. He needs to go back to that. Someone give him some money.

He designs difficult clothes that make women look awful. Seriously, nobody looks good in his experimental cuts. For that price, women want to look like a million bucks. And they didn't, so they didn't buy. Trust me: the woman, who pays for Balmain's ridiculous dresses and jackets, could easily pay for Rochas or Ricci if she had liked what she had seen.
I do not want to turn this into the Theysken thread by posting pictures but that's really a matter of opinion and I couldn't disagree more.
I wasn't too keen on his Ricci work but the dresses he made for Rochas were some of the most stunningly beautiful I have ever seen, and could hardly be described as experiental but rather as semi-couture.
As for Balmain, completely different audience. No comparison, imo.
Galliano does create flattering clothes.
If you are referring to his ultra-commercial recent Dior work or his classic bia-cut dresses, then yes, I would agree. But the kind of designs he made his name off were absolutely unwearable (far more so than even Theysken's Ricci designs). They were editorial pieces that hardly ever made it to stores. What sold was the modified, watered-down versions.

People will pay any sum of money for something they see and like. That customer existed during his stay at Rochas and Ricci. He was not wanted nor demanded. These companies are run by people who know what they are doing. If you have the support of every fashion editor in the world and still can't manage to turn in profit, then there must be something wrong with you, I think. Who would buy his clothes when there were Elbaz, Ghesquiere and even relatively experimental Tisci designing next door?

Let's agree to disagree.

i heard one of the avant garde indie designers is also part of this rumour salad?!
just over heard though...

If you believe something as blatantly fallacious as:
People will pay any sum of money for something they see and like.
Then we have no ground for discussion, I think.

Another factual mistake:
These companies are run by people who know what they are doing.
Rochas was run by a family who famously, and by their own admission, didn't know anything about the fashion business.
If you have the support of every fashion editor in the world and still can't manage to turn in profit, then there must be something wrong with you, I think.
If you believe editorial support alone can make a brand commercially successful than I don't think you are very realistic about how the fashion industry works.
Let's agree to disagree.
It is better, yes!:flower:

to me it feel like the death of Shakespeare. You do not see it now but you will understand what I was talking about when you lose that. The grief will be for ever

I would completely agree if Shakespeare had had a double S branded on his forehead :D

Karl Lagerfeld is going to die anyway, sooner or later. He will eventually be replaced by someone, new blood will come, it's just a matter of time. Unless what happened to Dior (Galliano's disappointing collections) happen to Chanel, I guess we will all be missing Karl.

I'm looking forward to the future of Chanel.

You seem to be unaware of the theory that he is a vampire & therefore immortal :innocent:

Hehehheeh I was going to brink up the Count Karl part as well...

Other thing I was just thinking, is a lot of this is based on the notion that Karl has not renewed his contract.

Maybe that is true... But maybe Karl just wants more bling.... He does have to buy a ton more rings...

I can't imagine Lanvin without Alber, I'd hate him to leave and I don't see why he'd want to go either.

I think anyone else apart from Lagerfeld doing Chanel would be very strange because Lagerfeld relates a lot to Coco Chanel with opinions and ideas. He is in fact the perfect person for Chanel . .
Elbaz doing Chanel is such a weird thought . .
And Theyskens for Lanvin ? ?

I think I've heard rumors of Lagerfeld leaving Chanel like a thousand times over the years. Actually in an interview in the Spring 09 collection he said that he has no reason to leave Chanel, if Coco died creating a collection then he has no reasons to leave the house, and I think that that's the way things are going to happen... he's not going to leave until he dies, which is great because Karl is Chanel and Chanel is Karl.

That being said, I think Elbaz would be an awful choice. He makes magic at Lanvin and he's a GREAT, and I mean GREAT, designer, but him designing in Chanel would be terrible, he's just not the one.

Probably the whole forum (or a big portion at least) is going to be all over me but I like Alessanda F. for Chanel :|. She has a very beautiful and artistic vision of fashion. What she did in Valentino was too much for Valentino but was great for Chanel, of course not the same collections but the ideas, silhouettes etc. Just my thought....

Probably the whole forum (or a big portion at least) is going to be all over me but I like Alessanda F. for Chanel :|. She has a very beautiful and artistic vision of fashion. What she did in Valentino was too much for Valentino but was great for Chanel, of course not the same collections but the ideas, silhouettes etc. Just my thought....
Ummm....did you just read my mind?!?!:shock:

I was thinking the exact same thing! I know it sounds crazy because Alessandra is not a character like Coco was or like Karl is...but I just think it could work on so many levels.

Firstly, her tenure at Valentino proved that she can make accessible, contemporary, chic clothes that cater to a modern woman. Her style is smart, chic, delicate and yet direct. She's not a fussy designer. I think she could do so much with the house. Her SS 09 collection for Valentino felt very Chanel, in many ways, actually. The subtle, luxurious pajama suits with that gorgeous knotted, roped embellishment twisted around the collar...so wonderful. Plus, she's proven that she's up to the task of working with Haute Couture. Her first and only outing at Valentino was stellar, in my opinion. You could feel so strongly the respect Alessandra had for the craft of Couture...and Chanel needs someone who will hold Couture in the highest regard.

And plus, I just think it would be so amazing and refreshing and perfect to have a woman back at the house of Chanel. We can't expect another Coco, and we certainly can't expect another Karl...but I think Alessandra could be just the ticket to make the house seem more intimate and special once again.

I know this is only a pipe dream at best, but I can't help but get excited by the mere thought of Alessandra at Chanel (plus, it would be the ultimate revenge!!!:evil:).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aza
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->