Kramer (Seinfeld) in racist video

pavement said:
Most people I heard from complaining about it were upset that they were hosting parties to watch the game, and there were so many kids in the room watching it. Parents just didn't expect for that to happen on a football game. Frankly I wouldn't want my kids to see that either. While I know sex is everywhere, I'd do anything to give them a more ideal view of sexuality than two pop singers getting together to objectify a woman's body onstage.
:blush:

I agree, but at the time I watched it, live, just like everyone else, it was about 10:30-11:00 on a school night. I just don't get why kids would be up that late on a school night?... unless they were in high school, in which they should already know how to handle seeing a woman's boob.

And wasn't it like 5 seconds, if that?

You'd think the parents would have thought to change the channel once they heard, "Bet I have you nekkid by the end of this song.":innocent:

high maintenance said:
Sorry I was busy today so I wasn't able to be on here, first of all you don't know **** about me to say that Iam narrow minded or that I have a chip on my shoulder, second where in the hell did I say you were trying to make people type something offensive to black people? You must can't read because what I said was being as though the word "cracker" (please excuse me everyone) has been used thru out this thread and I was talking about what some black people who are very ignorant call caucasin people, I figured you were being funny, but if you were not and I took it wrong, than let me know I was wrong and what you were meaning to say before you even begin to tell me what mind Iam in, sometimes, since your so smart, when people type, its hard to know exactly how they are saying things because its being typed, so if I took something you said wrong then explain it to me

A) You do realise that in a forum, using ***** is as offensive as writing whatever word? In fact it is worse because you are going under the pretence of not being offensive whilst being totally offensive

:cool: I was explaining it to you. I could say the same to you. Instead of assuming that 'I was being funny' about racism, why didn't you say, 'do you really not know what that word is?'

C) I wasn't pretending to know you. I was saying that HAD you been saying what I thought you were saying (Which you haven't denied) you were narrow minded in terms of what you had written. No assumptions here.

D) I am not angry or pissed off but I just don't like it (understandably) when people say I am purposely trying to misunderstand the usage of a racist term. Of course it is hard to interpret toneless passages (and smilies aren't appropriate in some threads) but then perhaps not say 'I think you perfectly well know what I was saying'. (Can you see how that phrase would come across?)

Last edited by a moderator:
SiennaInLondon said:
A) You do realise that in a forum, using ***** is as offensive as writing whatever word? In fact it is worse because you are going under the pretence of not being offensive whilst being totally offensive

:cool: I was explaining it to you. I could say the same to you. Instead of assuming that 'I was being funny' about racism, why didn't you say, 'do you really not know what that word is?'

C) I wasn't pretending to know you. I was saying that HAD you been saying what I thought you were saying (Which you haven't denied) you were narrow minded in terms of what you had written. No assumptions here.

D) I am not angry or pissed off but I just don't like it (understandably) when people say I am purposely trying to misunderstand the usage of a racist term. Of course it is hard to interpret toneless passages (and smilies aren't appropriate in some threads) but then perhaps not say 'I think you perfectly well know what I was saying'. (Can you see how that phrase would come across?)

second where in the hell did I say you were trying to make people type something offensive to black people? You must can't read, again
So you must be saying that numerous people on this thread are being offensive, because retailqueen and others have replaced the word **edit** with******. And I don't like it when people tell me what or how Iam feeling,and if thats how some people want to type because they don't want to offend, then let them, who the hell are you to tell someone they are being offensive trying to get there point across? Well so you don't get confused again on what Iam trying to say, I don't give a damn how you took what I said, I don't care how you think my mind works:rolleyes:
If you think I was being offensive to you by saying I think, never said you perfectly knew, what I was saying then oh well

electricladyland said:
seinfeld is on...is anyone watching? Will you still watch it?

Yes, I will. The quality of the show has nothing to do with the personal remarks of its actors. It´s an independent thing.

twisted_utopia said:
Yes, I will. The quality of the show has nothing to do with the personal remarks of its actors. It´s an independent thing.

Great that you can separate those two things out. Seeing Michael Richards and thinking of his comments (which referenced lynching African Americans who interrupt a white man) turns my stomach.

electricladyland said:
Great that you can separate those two things out. Seeing Michael Richards and thinking of his comments (which referenced lynching African Americans who interrupt a white man) turns my stomach.

I didn´t understand if you were being ironic or not. But I will say this: I fully oppose his comments. If he really feels that way he should´ve kept it to himself and let his feelings rotten his guts.
Nevertheless, I thing his character Kramer is funny and I like watching it.

electricladyland said:

Agreed. A show has to be judged on its merits. In England, the childrens books of Enid Blyton (The Famous Five books, The Secret Seven, The Adventure Series, Noddy's Adventures in Toyland, The Faraway Tree stories, Malory Towers and St Clare books) have fallen out of favour because of accusations she was racist and she had characters called golliwogs in some of her books (characters that were even good in some books but were evil in one Noddy book). Yes it is awful but she was writing in the 1940s and that should be considered. I think this is a great shame because Blyton was the reason I and millions of other British children (well I am from the commonwealth where she is much more popular than she is in Britain) started reading and she is far far superior than clunky modern authors such as JK Rowling. I didn't even know what a golliwog was and I hope that no well brought up child would either.

Furthermore, although a show is probably a group effort, I think most responsibility lies with the director and writers who are the brains behind all television -not one person in an ensemble cast.

Actually it was a bit ironic. I actually cannot separate those two things out. I can't watch Kramer and not think of the filth the actor who plays him spewed from his mouth. I won't watch the show. I can't turn a blind eye to hatred just because the guy makes me laugh in another context. It's like trying to enjoy a good meal that you know someone sullied with something disgusting.

electricladyland said:
Actually it was a bit ironic. I actually cannot separate those two things out. I can't watch Kramer and not think of the filth the actor who plays him spewed from his mouth. I won't watch the show. I can't turn a blind eye to hatred just because the guy makes me laugh in another context. It's like trying to enjoy a good meal that you know someone sullied with something disgusting.

In that case (you not being ironic) - fair enough. His comments aren't aimed at me so whilst angry, I can't really know what it feels like personally. I can understand why you couldn't watch the show even though I still think shows need to be judged on their own merit.

I think this is really sad for Seinfeld, if it makes the show lose viewers. It's a brilliant show and does not deserve to be remembered by this.

I was thinking the same...
Everywhere it's "Kramer is racist"...

Cosmo Kramer isn't...Michael Richards is.

I think he seems to be in need of treatment for anger in general...
and it seemed as though he hinted of that in his "apology".

SiennaInLondon said:
In that case (you not being ironic) - fair enough. His comments aren't aimed at me so whilst angry, I can't really know what it feels like personally. I can understand why you couldn't watch the show even though I still think shows need to be judged on their own merit.
I agree. I'm not judging the show, just the actor. It will just be difficult for me as an African American who has seen what the worst of racism can do to people (both the victims and the perpetrators) to watch the show. I appreciate you stating that you can't really know what it feels like. That goes a long way with me. :flower:

brokenenglish said:
I think he seems to be in need of treatment for anger in general...
and it seemed as though he hinted of that in his "apology".

I think he is mentally ill and needs treatment. The way he spoke just sounded sooo off...

What he did was very open, very public, and very proud. I saw not a bit of shame from him. Only white pride, and honest expression at the expense of his audience IMHO.

The guy was making millions on Seinfeld and is STILL doing stand-up? HA! come on! go out with some style... be a producer or something. even if it is for B movies

When true colors show, they shine bright. Unfortunately for him, the damage was done. I think his career is done.

That was not just racial slurs that was unmitigated hatred man...

it was venomous.....Now the only image I have of this clown is a coward with a Klan hoodie on.

I caught part of the apology and he looked pissed off when he was speaking.... like he did not want to be there.

Maybe him and Mel can retire on Marlon Brando's island with Kevin Costner.

He clearly spoke what he had bottled up. His apologies should be deem worthless. He owes that mouth and his mind. there's no way that he can't take that back. Unless, he's good to give something back..like the big seinfeld checks hes getting from syndication.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zyasiagrissom
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->