Los Angeles Street Style

there are definitely a lot of fashion no-no's in la. like ed hardy and the uggs for example. even crocs but a lot of people tell me they only wear crocs and uggs because of the comfort. i still don't like them though lol :lol: but at the same time you can find that anywhere. la isn't as big as new york so i understand the love of new york, but la isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

seriously. people rag on la cause they really don't know any better.

I agree-people in LA have more fun with their style than in a lot of other cities!

kelly wearstler epitomizes LA style to me-she is iconic and orginal.

I like the emphasis on vintage couture in LA.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ My big complaint is all of the Ugg-style boots. I can't stand seeing people where them in 80 degree weather.
I overall hate Ugg boots. I'm in London and the weather is cold and everywhere I turn, people are wearing them! :sick:

^ yeah actually let me revise that. i guess i meant as big as an influence. new york is the cultural capital of the us. i guess that's what i meant.

I live in the UK at the moment and want to move over to LA in the next 2 years. I dont want to live there just spend a year or two there.
But i dont have a clue how to get started. I attempted to apply for a Visa but i think i need a job first. But how do you get a job in LA when you are living in the UK and dont yet have a visa for LA :S it confuses me a little!

So if anyone has any advice or tips about moving from the UK to the US id be grateful :flower:

Also i dont think the style in LA is oh so bad, it is more relaxed. I like it!

^ The job part may be difficult... Heck, I live here, and it's hard to find a decent job...

There are definitely many style blunders out here. I see it every day. But I do get ideas, as well.

i thought you were allowed in the US if you were a EURO citizen, has that changed?

^you are, it's getting a job permit that's hard

we need new pictures in this thread:shock:

I was just reading about the Fashion District in downtown LA.
I heard they do sample sales. Does anyone know what labels they sell?
Is the fashion district any good?

I'll be staying close to there, so im considering going for a visit!

in downtown LA most of the sales are knock-offs but you can fine some nice stuff and its very cheap

I was just reading about the Fashion District in downtown LA.
I heard they do sample sales. Does anyone know what labels they sell?
Is the fashion district any good?

I'll be staying close to there, so im considering going for a visit!

A lot of West Coast based brands have their warehouses in Downtown LA- (Black Halo, American Apparel. etc) they periodically have sample sales throughout the season that may or may not coincide with your visit.

You may want to check out dailycandy etc to find if any of the designers are having their SS while you are here.

A lot of smaller fashion-shops/designers hold similar sample sales once a quarter in the California market building.

Santee Alley- which I think is what you may be referring too- is a lot of small fashion shops crammed together bazaar style almost. There are original designers, knock-offs you name it. It can be a lot of fun to go and rummage and see what you find. Generally anything that is 'label' is knock off...but you can find some original jewelry there etc.

you can do an internet search and find some guides to Santee alley.

HTH!

Don't even waste your time going to Santee Alley. It's seriously gross. And no, the fashion district isn't any good. I don't even know why it's called that.

the sante alley is soo much fun. i find it hilarious walking through there. dont expect nice and fancy and dont expect real things! but if you have some free time and want to just look around this is a good place. plus you could sometimes find some really nice looking things that are not expensive.

I don't know if American Apparel did a sample sale to be exact but they did this thing earlier last year where for like $5 dollars to get in, you could buy a bunch of their discounted clothes. I think most of them were altered/sized wrong/damaged but I know some people who bought lame leggings for like- 10 bucks and they didn't even look damaged. They do that kind of stuff.

In terms of street style in Los Angeles though, it's a definite mix. I think in New York City you get more variety, and more people that kind of effortlessly look chic. Plus in New York, everyone walks around and it's easy to admire what people are wearing. In LA, it's hard to really get a good view of what the general masses are wearing. A lot of people buy on to the "indie-hipster" thing, which is sad. LA needs a little more edge!

i am going in march..cant wait to wear all my black and "new york" clothes..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->