Marc Jacobs F/W 2020.21 New York

I think this comment section is the perfect case study of why this forum is dead in a lot of respects...the way you guys critic/slander literally every other collection bar a few favs ...but find this amazing is pretty hilarious to ME...rose tinted glasses & Nostalgia i suspect...i don't get it...maybe i'm too young...i mean my first fashion show i went to was Balmain ss 2008 so there's that..but i digress...meh ..

I think people (me included) have a soft spot for designers doing their own thing and with it being instantly recognizable. There’s a sense of consistency in the references, in the allure and in the styling. It’s not groundbreaking but it’s comforting I guess...
And tbh, we have less and less designers like that. Marc has always been nostalgic...He referenced the 90’s back in the 00´s.
But I think that irrational part of fashion is what makes it exciting!

Ps: That Balmain show was perfect. It’s a pity Decarnin is nowhere to be found today...

This forum is dead because fashion is dead.

I was writing a whole thing about how I disagreed with you and how it wasn't as simple as that, but I ended up reaching the exact same conclusion as you did. I'm really interested to hear why you think fashion is dead, though, because I think that's where our opinions differ.

I was writing a whole thing about how I disagreed with you and how it wasn't as simple as that, but I ended up reaching the exact same conclusion as you did. I'm really interested to hear why you think fashion is dead, though, because I think that's where our opinions differ.
As an equity analyst who covers some of these companies my opinion is post-GFC there is a ton more pressure in each quarterly update and call for companies to be delivering quality, low-risk results with little tolerance for anything else. As a result of the added pressure creativity has died.

I think people (me included) have a soft spot for designers doing their own thing and with it being instantly recognizable. There’s a sense of consistency in the references, in the allure and in the styling. It’s not groundbreaking but it’s comforting I guess...
And tbh, we have less and less designers like that. Marc has always been nostalgic...He referenced the 90’s back in the 00´s.
But I think that irrational part of fashion is what makes it exciting!

Ps: That Balmain show was perfect. It’s a pity Decarnin is nowhere to be found today...
I was also wondering about Christophe Decarnin i know a few people that have worked at Balmain since the early 2000s they told me various things about what happened to him...I always have a soft spot for him because when i was new to the fashion game he always treated me & our models so well ...
i found this article if it is of any interest to you guys ...
The Rise, Fall and Return of Christophe Decarnin

Simply divine, the presentation didn't even need all the antics, fun collection, always here for a 60s reference :heart:

I was also wondering about Christophe Decarnin i know a few people that have worked at Balmain since the early 2000s they told me various things about what happened to him...I always have a soft spot for him because when i was new to the fashion game he always treated me & our models so well ...
i found this article if it is of any interest to you guys ...
The Rise, Fall and Return of Christophe Decarnin
Unfortunately, the article needs an update as he left Faith Connexion, from what I’ve been told.

I really enjoyed this. Some really great, lively and chic clothes that play to Marc's strengths. I do still feel a little whiff of the outdated that have plagued all of his recent collections, but I equally sort of have faith that if this set doesn't turn the company's fortunes around, then nothing will. And yes, it would've been so good to see this taken further at Louis Vuitton (if those were still the days).

It's funny to me how a lot of the American designers seem to be riffing off of each other this season though (I mean, look at the final section here) :lol:.

According to an interview with Marc Jacobs, this collection didn't go into production. What's more, he's not going to design the spring/summer 2021 collection, but that might change with time.

According to an interview with Marc Jacobs, this collection didn't go into production. What's more, he's not going to design the spring/summer 2021 collection, but that might change with time.

Possibly the most disappointing news to hear, this collection was something I really looked forward to...but more dark days ahead for NYFW I suspect, along with all the other major cities...

I think it will hit the stores next year. It’s not gonna be produced now, because it’s impossible, but in the future maybe.
And this will happen to all other brands guys

Marc was brutally honest in his interview but let’s be honest... He might not be the only one in that situation as almost everybody in HF produces in Italy. I think it would be great if LVMH produces at least a limited quantity for his own stores.

Most fall collections were shown in vain. A few days ago Jonathan Anderson put up a picture from his last show captioned "It's like the show never happened". Tim Blanks reassured him that the show will live in his memory, a bit cheesy but at the moment it felt like a sweet gesture.

three years after and I haven't seen anything from any big brand or designer that might top this show. well, to be fair, the Olivier Theyskens collections from the last seasons were absolutely beyond but that's the only strong fashion memory I got from these past years. But I'm talking about the show as an experience: I wait every single season to have something that makes me feel obsessed and inspired like Marc did with this one... but it never happens.

I have tried but I never understood the praise for this collection.

Looking at it now only highlights why his brand is in the state is in now.

three years after and I haven't seen anything from any big brand or designer that might top this show. well, to be fair, the Olivier Theyskens collections from the last seasons were absolutely beyond but that's the only strong fashion memory I got from these past years. But I'm talking about the show as an experience: I wait every single season to have something that makes me feel obsessed and inspired like Marc did with this one... but it never happens.

Agreed. I wish he’d put away the platform boots and tap back into this vibe more.

1000%

It may very well be the best collection of his career.

Almost all of it went into production and I went to go see it several times at the flagship on Madison (the old DKNY space).

It was exquisite. Phenomenal fabrics, everything was perfectly finished.

And apparently it sold very well.

just came here to say that this is probably the best show of this depressing decade of fashion. I'm pretty sure that no one did it better..yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aieshai
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->