Martin Margiela - Designer

^soul.... :wink:

and it's how i feel as well although i find(or found--i keep speaking in present!) myself actually wanting to wear many things. i think even if not necessarily explicit in the manner he worked the pieces,aesthetically,there is that pure artisan's approach about MM in everything so there is often a great deal of thought in how it actually may get worn....no matter how unconventional it may appear.

aw I do wear a lot of MMM as well, I didn't mean it to sound contrary. I just mean there are so many levels beyond aesthetic attraction that his work speaks to me on.

I am really excited to check out the book soon as well, especially since you recommended it :wub:

^sorry about that inaya,i wasn't meaning to contradict you whatsoever. just adding my two cents :blush:

you really should get that book. i can honestly say,i've looked through it almost every day since i received it.....it's that entrancing.

21ZTzZrOOvL._SS500_.jpg

Amazon
I just bought the Cream Martin Margiela book its amazing. Christmas present to myself.

On MMM's facebook page, they posted a video preview of the new book. The pictures look amazing, but text wise it doesn't look as comprehensive as the exhibition book or street. Maybe I'm wrong as I have not had the chance to look though it. I recently bought Martin Margiela: The Exhibition book because I couldn't find Martin Margiela: Street for a good price. The only copies I've found online were going for hundreds of dollars.

^ I think that balance (or sometimes lack thereof) between his innovation/reinvention of things and aesthetic beauty is sometimes really askew as well, but like you, it's what attracts me the most. Even when I don't love how something looks, the idea and innovation behind many of his artisan pieces is even more attractive to me than perhaps a simply aesthetically beautiful piece. if that makes sense :blush: :lol:
Definitely makes sense...and very well put. ^_^

I'm in Mason
(Ah! )
Martin Margiela
On the tape we're screamin'
what its the other side, they jealous
We got a bankhead full of broads(?)
Jay Z Run This Town
This was just brought to my attention lol

ooo....kay :rolleyes:

is that a real spelling too? mason??

I think so. Some one told me to look up the song lyrics :lol: people know me and my Margiela obsession too well.

He has nothing to do with anything to do with his name anymore. I have a hypothesis that he left the Maison when he left Hermes in 03

i must say,it definitely could have happened with the P-A-P....he probably did leave that for his team to do. but the artisanal....to me it had his spirit all over it till 08.

haydn,i don't think it had anything to do with him either.

from stylebubble.typepad.com

a bunch of bloggers including yours truly were invited to Maison Martin Margiela's headquarters in Paris for the presentation of their first perfume, a project that has been three years in the making and is also the last thing that Mr Margiela himself oversaw before his departure

i must say,it definitely could have happened with the P-A-P....he probably did leave that for his team to do. but the artisanal....to me it had his spirit all over it till 08.

haydn,i don't think it had anything to do with him either.
I agree with Artisanal but that was almost removed from the rest of the brand now its just crap made from pipe cleaners. :innocent:

Gone and Even More Collectible

By ERIC WILSON
Published: January 27, 2010

THE announcement last month that Martin Margiela had left his fashion house, following a year of considerable doubt about his presence there, suddenly changed the context of his work of the last 20 years. Rather than looking at his recent collections as representative of one of the world’s most influential designers in midcareer, the fashion world was faced with the realization that his oeuvre is now complete.

That change has resulted in a newfound nostalgia, and a collecting frenzy, for Mr. Margiela’s most unusual works — the cloven-toed “tabi” boots, for example, and his tunics fashioned of gloves, bottle caps and wigs. This is what occurred to Katy Rodriguez, a designer and owner of the vintage retailer Resurrection, when she recently obtained roughly 1,000 pieces that had been amassed by a single collector. The collection will be sold at Resurrection stores and at 1stdibs.com, an online catalog for antique and vintage retailers around the world, beginning Feb. 11.

“Enough time has gone by and enough work has been done researching Margiela’s work that we can now look at it in a historical context,” Ms. Rodriguez said. Last year, the Maison Martin Margiela published a monograph, helping to establish a timeline for the important pieces. Still, she found it helpful to put them in perspective with firsthand accounts.

While showing her own collection in Paris last year, she met Graça Fisher, now the commercial director for a Japanese label called Commuun. Ms. Fisher, as it turned out, had met Mr. Margiela when he was starting the company in Antwerp, Belgium, and she was a 19-year-old student. She was a model in eight of his shows and helped with sales, giving her a rare view inside his small circle.

“You must understand that what he was making then was really unheard of,” Ms. Fisher said in a phone interview from her home in Rome. Repurposing vintage designs, showing his clothes on non-models, refusing to talk to the press, Mr. Margiela became an enigma, often offending reporters with his provocative stance. After his first show, a Belgian newspaper published a picture of Mr. Margiela covering his face with his hand.

“His third show was on the outskirts of Paris, in a poor neighborhood,” Ms. Fisher recalled. “It was a fantastic show, but the newspaper Libération said it was scandalous.”

It’s not that Mr. Margiela never tried to fit in. There were some early interviews and appearances, but it is Ms. Fisher’s view that he found the circus not to his taste.

She described one experience when Mr. Margiela was asked by i-D magazine to be in an article about new designers. For the picture, they arrived at the Palace late one night to find the Paris nightclub in full swing. They were directed on stage, where Ms. Fisher was seated and a man behind her, at the photographer’s direction, started rubbing his hands all over her body.

“Then he said, ‘That’s it, thanks,’ ” she said.

When they left, she asked Mr. Margiela, “What was that all about?”

His reply, she said, was: “Don’t ask me. It was disgusting.”

nytimes.com

Attachments

• mm1.jpg
    mm1.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 16
  • mm2.jpg
    mm2.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 33
  • mm3.jpg
    mm3.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 10
  • mm4.jpg
    mm4.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited by a moderator:
that last sort of sentiment graça made about him is very telling to me. it really makes one wonder if the world he became so involved with the last,most recent years,just finally made him so uncomfortable that he couldn't bear it any longer. to me that was the personality of MMM that i had always come to expect....that sense of ambivalence and uncompromising spirit....it never ever made sense to me his relationship with rosso.

anyway,stupendous article,runner...thank you! i actually remember graça as a model for MMM and she's also worked closely with carol christian poell in the past.

btw,what a relief to hear the MMM scent is something that he actually oversaw. i've been hearing some reviews,as they're doing a presentation at colette this week,and they say it smells really lovely.

They were directed on stage, where Ms. Fisher was seated and a man behind her, at the photographer’s direction, started rubbing his hands all over her body.

“Then he said, ‘That’s it, thanks,’ ” she said.

Something tells me Martin Margiela was very anti-douchebaggery. :lol:

okay i just discovered something very shocking. on ebay there is some fool trying to sell that margiela book for 1000$?! seriously! i mean it's possibly feasible maybe in 5-10 years time but it's still available. one can go right on amazon and purchase it for less that 100$.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just thought the Maison Martin Margiela fans would like to know that the the cloven-toed “tabi” boots are for sale on yoox.com right now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->