Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen (November 2010 - March 2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
^Who knows what condition it was in originally? She easily could have bought a slightly beat-up vintage version.

^It was vintage but in much better shape than it is now. She's really taken that worn in, loved look to a whole new level.

0044.jpg

Source: mary-kateandashleyimages.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the problem is and this is evident through most photos of them (but especially MK) is that they have no respect or care to take care of the things they own. Sad really, but I guess if you have lots of money, 10grand for a purse or whatever it costs, you can afford to treat it like a 5dollar Kmart bag. It's one of the reasons why I didn't like their grungy phase, to see thousands of dollars of items with markers and stuff all over it.

Like that gorgeous pistachio green Balenciaga of MK's? She absolutely destroyed that bag.

I think the problem is and this is evident through most photos of them (but especially MK) is that they have no respect or care to take care of the things they own. Sad really, but I guess if you have lots of money, 10grand for a purse or whatever it costs, you can afford to treat it like a 5dollar Kmart bag. It's one of the reasons why I didn't like their grungy phase, to see thousands of dollars of items with markers and stuff all over it.

i agree. but at the same time, i also get the feeling that they do it to try and be "different" or cool or to make it fit into their grunge style...*shrugs shoulders* i dunno...:huh:

MK's airport outfit is badas$ cool. Love it. I usually like Ashley more, but lately for me, MK > Ashley.

spot on. i guess it's just a disconnection which is invitable when you're basically born as a millionaire.

The comments about being put off by MK and Ashley not taking care of their things -- interesting... I like them better for it. Nothing worse than someone who overly babies their Chanel bag or Birkin and needs a special chair for it at restaurants, etc., etc. I think part of the charm of owning beautiful, expensive things is being able to be casual about them.

It's like this awesome Balenciaga bag which is all stained of purple ink :

olsenobsessive

The comments about being put off by MK and Ashley not taking care of their things -- interesting... I like them better for it. Nothing worse than someone who overly babies their Chanel bag or Birkin and needs a special chair for it at restaurants, etc., etc. I think part of the charm of owning beautiful, expensive things is being able to be casual about them.

I have to disagree. I love the idea of someone getting a lot of use out of an expensive item but completely abusing that item is another thing entirely. A lot of craftsmanship goes into those expensive bags. You wouldn't buy a Monet painting then leave it on the floor for your dog to piss on. The whole "I'm so rich I don't even take care with my 10,000 bag" attitude is offputting.

I think its refreshing to see that they dont just throw away their bags even though they got ink/dirt on them. That would be more of a "fashioncrime" imo.

I think the comparison to the Monet - while I understand, it's not totally accurate. A painting is meant to be looked at - clothes are meant to be used and worn. I don't really care either way but I think it's good that they continue to use and love their items even after they get beat up. Some people are just not good at taking care of things. I have a bag, which cost £1100 new, and unfortunately I didn't really realize at the time how delicate the leather on it was, and the bottom is scuffed and the leather torn from being stuffed under the seat in front of me during flights, getting caught in the rain with it, etc. But I still carry it and use it. It's clear that they don't view their clothes as disposable - which I think says more about them than whether or not a bag is scuffed and torn.

For me it's not about throwing a bag away when you get a stain on it and I agree about people babying their bags as ridiculous but I guess it's just a difference of how each is raised and how you view this. My parents were just adamant in that if you spend good money on something or it's a gift you take care of it and treat it well to last. I have an expensive bag and I split something on it and I took it to a leather cleaners to have it fixed. I remember seeing a picture of MK in a fur coat that looked like it had some sort of peanut butter like stuff smeared all over it. It just comes off wrong. For lack of a better word, ungrateful. I think it does says a lot about them and how they chose to take care of their things even as expensive as they are.

I feel like having bags and shoes that are scuffed up have more of a story to tell than ones that spend most of their time just hanging out in your closet. And I like that a lot more than having something that really hasn't been through that much with me.
(however, that's not to say I would pass up a brand new Hermes birkin :P but I would use it-- what's the point in spending that much on a bag if it's just going to stay at home??)

On another note, I LOVE the colour of that Balenciaga bag...

I think it's less that they should be babying the bags and more that they should be treating them with at least some modicum of respect. After all, these are limited edition items that many, many people desire and I feel like being one of the lucky people to own one, or many, gives you a certain responsibility to try and preserve them.

However, I do believe that the best loved items usually get the harshest wear; it just seems like the kind of damage that the Olsens (especially MK) inflict on their things goes above and beyond normal "wear and tear" and borders into completely careless, which I find distasteful and uncouth. Just my two cents.

Absolutely agree^
I remember that one article that was talking about the pistachio Balenciaga having gum stuck to it, pen marks and what looked like a large red wine stain. That's definitely not normal wear that adds a little character to the bag.

^^ Well don't you think them still wearing the bags after the strains show they at least care. They could have easily gotten another. But come on they are rich. Their value in things is different then ours.

I think the comparison to the Monet - while I understand, it's not totally accurate. A painting is meant to be looked at - clothes are meant to be used and worn.

To a lot of people well-crafted shoes, bags and clothing are like art. Treating these items well is a way of respecting the artisans and the craftmanship that went into creating them. There is a difference between normal wear and tear and just out right abuse like gum, stains and the assault and battery the Olsen's bags seem to have been subjected to.

Well don't you think them still wearing the bags after the strains show they at least care. They could have easily gotten another. But come on they are rich. Their value in things is different then ours.

To me MK and Ashley's wearing their destroyed and stained bags has more to do with a style choice than any respect for the accessories. Their whole image is about blase wealth and the whole hobo-chic look created with items costing a small fortune.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->