Model Casting S/S 09

NYMAG,com

Milan Runways Not Very Diverse

9/26/08 at 5:48 PM

20080926_prade_250x375.jpg
Jourdan Dunn, the only black model to walk Prada.Photo: Getty Images

Milan Fashion Week wrapped up today, and the Shophound has continued tracking the model diversity quotient of shows over there as it did in New York. Ironically, runways in the nation that brought us an all-black Vogue were not only less diverse than New York's but disappointingly white:
3 major shows, Giorgio Armani, Marni and Jil Sander had no Black or Asian models at all. Gucci and Prada both had only 1 black model. Of the ones we surveyed (and in all fairness, we can't break down each and every designer) the only show to impress us with diversity was Bottega Veneta with 4 Black models and 1 Asian.​
Fendi, Versace, and Missoni all cast only one black model as well. The blogger also noted houses like Armani, Gucci, and Prada are big enough to get the girls that they want, so it's unlikely they were forced into using such white casts because they lost a battle with a show in a competing time slot. Paris starts tomorrow, so maybe we'll see a mix of girls there?

Prada is by no means setting a new trend with their cast. The conventionally pretty girls did very well for themselves and have been good enough for the majority of designers for at least the past 3 seasons now.

Milan was fairly good in terms of diversity i reckon. Using one black model in a show is better than none at all, which was the case for many of these big shows. It's been like 4 years since a black model has walked for Fendi, Gucci and Versace. If people are complaining about this now...just wait till next season when it all goes back to the way it was :lol:

There was a severe lack of Asian models in Milan, however....such a shame :(

Last edited by a moderator:
You can say that again-Du walked less than 8 shows, Han didn't show up at all for the most part, Eugenia only walked three shows, Pei didn't. Liu and Hye had more success, but it still is not the same. Paris will probably have a bit more success, JPG being a very good example.

NYMAG,com

Milan Runways Not Very Diverse

9/26/08 at 5:48 PM

Jourdan Dunn, the only black model to walk Prada.Photo: Getty Images

Milan Fashion Week wrapped up today, and the Shophound has continued tracking the model diversity quotient of shows over there as it did in New York. Ironically, runways in the nation that brought us an all-black Vogue were not only less diverse than New York's but disappointingly white:
3 major shows, Giorgio Armani, Marni and Jil Sander had no Black or Asian models at all. Gucci and Prada both had only 1 black model. Of the ones we surveyed (and in all fairness, we can't break down each and every designer) the only show to impress us with diversity was Bottega Veneta with 4 Black models and 1 Asian.​
Fendi, Versace, and Missoni all cast only one black model as well. The blogger also noted houses like Armani, Gucci, and Prada are big enough to get the girls that they want, so it's unlikely they were forced into using such white casts because they lost a battle with a show in a competing time slot. Paris starts tomorrow, so maybe we'll see a mix of girls there?

I hope Bethann Hardison doesn't read this :innocent:

According to an agent at IMG (from the Model Live reality show) the casting director that does Phi also does Balenciaga, so unless Phi hired Ghesquiere to do the casting, it's someone else then Ghesquiere that does casting for Balenciaga, but I'm sure the designer has his opionions and they probably cooperate about chosing the girls!

The agent is talking about casting to one of his girls (can't remember which one) and says; "This is a very important casting director .. She does Phi .. Balenciaga .."

Ashley Brokaw does the casting for Phi and Balenciaga. Though Ghesquiere and stylist Marie-Amelie Sauve have a lot to do with it as well.

This ain't a wishing thread, but I'd like to see more strong faces like Sara, Lakshmi, Tara, Kinee...

Very few blondes fit this ideal... the only new girl I can think of is Katrin Thormann... and she looks too much like a cross-eyed shark to be really appealing... so this clearly isn't the season for me.

Blondes, blondes, blondes... :argg:

^I'll give you that. There have been far too many blondes this season. I know they all look different, but there's just not enough visual diversity (not necessarily related to ethnic diversity) for my tastes.

Also, what's the deal with Paris castings at the moment. Very few of the new girls who were standouts in the first three cities have been showing up as of late in Paris. Aside from Anya Kazakova, Myf Shepherd, and Sigred Agren (to a lesser extent) where are all of our new faces (i.e. Katrin, Imogen, Yulia, Anastasija, etc)? A very odd first couple of days to say the least. :unsure:

I think my favourite shows casting wise so far are Cacharel (lots of great new faces), Nina Ricci, Christopher Kane, Gilles, Prada, Jil Sander, Calvin Klein Dolce & Gabanna and D&G. I was happy yet disappointed with Gucci, I was disappointed with the lack of exclusives but happy with the new faces used. Balenicaga and Proenza Schouler were disappointing but I was content with the casting.

I agree yaars...especially the absence of Katrin puzzles me. She seems like a girl that Paris would fall in love. I expected her at Balenciaga very much, for instance.

I thought the Dior cast was pretty interesting. It was Arlenis' first major major show outside of New York which is great. And the other new girls were all pretty out of nowhere IMO. Alla, Emma and Michelle Westgeest were very surprising additions to their cast. What I also thought was surprising is that basically all of his favorites were not there. Galliano always casts girls in his show that pretty much only show up in Dior/Galliano and some other shows or are just obvious favorites. Morgane, Lindsay, Viviane (visa problems, I believe), Alexandra A, Alison were all not there. And I expected that he found new favorites in Alexandra T, Anna K and Mia Rosing since they also appeared in his couture show, but they weren't there either. Who does his castings?

Also, where is Sasha?

JPG had some very unusual casting too, well at least in my book...both in some of the girls there and the two notable absences (Omayrha and Eugenia).

Also Anne V. has made a BIG comeback, going from just doing SI and that kind of stuff to really hitting a lot of the bigger runways.

I was really surprised that neither Aline nor Ali Stephens were at Balenciaga, considering that they opened and closed, respectively, last season. Instead we get Laragh back from nowhere, and Ali Michael??

Yeah that was suprising (No Aline or Ali S.), I also miss seeing Sheila Marquez (though her absence wasn't suprising)

PS: Givenchy cast = awesome!

Who did that cast?

Who Casts The Big Shows?

Obviously, many designers do the model casting for their shows themselves.
But who are those independent casting directors behind those many other amazing shows?
You know, names like Russel Marsh who casts for Prada. Or Jennifer Starr who works with CK, Ralph, Gucci or D&G?
Lets get these guys out of the shadow!B)

Dear Luccacio,

that´s a very good question, I would also be interested in this topic!
Especially the casting people in Paris and N.Y.!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->