Model Casting S/S 09

Who casts for Balenciaga? Thats also one of those highly exclusive shows...

According to an agent at IMG (from the Model Live reality show) the casting director that does Phi also does Balenciaga, so unless Phi hired Ghesquiere to do the casting, it's someone else then Ghesquiere that does casting for Balenciaga, but I'm sure the designer has his opionions and they probably cooperate about chosing the girls!

The agent is talking about casting to one of his girls (can't remember which one) and says; "This is a very important casting director .. She does Phi .. Balenciaga .."

I heard Karl Lagerfeld handpicks of all his girl for his shows, but then again, it does seem like he likes to be in 100 % control about pretty much everything ..

Last edited by a moderator:
Independent.co.uk

Real women: the latest fashion

Size, age and colour are no longer a barrier to a career on the catwalk – that was the message from London Fashion Week. Fashion editor Susannah Frankel reports
Saturday, 20 September 2008

DAVID SANDISON
Jourdan Dunne becomes the first black model to be cast by Prada since Naomi Campbell
Muscular athletes in Stella McCartney's sportswear line for Adidas, Christopher Kane's blonde bombshells, models well into their thirties at Giles Deacon, a little ethnic diversity across the board ... One could be forgiven for thinking that fashion had developed a conscience, if this week's London collections were anything to go by.
The reasoning behind such a move is as likely to be commercial and aesthetic as it is ethical – fashion is famed for a ludicrously short attention span, after all – but the fact remains that designers are increasingly hiring a wider variety of models and it is likely that this will continue next week in Milan and straight after in Paris.
Not many people working outside the fashion industry will recognise the name Russell Marsh, but as the casting agent behind many of the world's most high-profile advertising campaigns, glossy magazine editorials and catwalk shows, he is extremely influential.
On Wednesday he told The London Fashion Week Daily, a free news sheet funded by the British Fashion Council: "I like reality, especially in times like these. We need a wake-up call. I think it's time people saw things for how they are. Grow old gracefully, I say."
Given that, for years, Marsh has been at the forefront of a mindset decreeing that seeking out the youngest waifs in the world to model is the last word in high style, this seems like quite a radical about-turn. In particular, Marsh works for Prada, whose catwalk famously launches the careers of a fresh crop of models every season. Because of this, the more established names (and established can mean a model who has worked for six months or, if she's lucky, two or three years) have become almost as disposable as the clothes they wear. But that, may be about to change.
"The models need to be athletic, confident, powerful," Marsh continued, putting his money where his mouth is by casting Lara Stone – who is positively pneumatic by fashion standards – to open Christopher Kane's show on Tuesday. "Lara is everything you want," Marsh said. "She's slightly bigger than the other girls and on the runway that really makes a statement."
Marsh made a not entirely dissimilar "statement" when he cast Jourdan Dunn, an 18-year-old British-born model, for Prada's previous show six months ago: she was the first black model employed by this designer since a young Naomi Campbell. Dunn has appeared in every heavyweight fashion and style magazine and stars in Topshop's current advertising campaign. "I think the look of the models is definitely changing," said Sarah Mower, a contributing editor to the American Vogue website style.com, reporting from London this week. "Fashion is always changing and people are just really bored by that characterless, Caucasian look. Neither is it demonstrable that it sells clothes any more.
"Because of the economic climate, designers are perhaps more aware of their customer now than they have been: she's got money, she's over 35 and she wants to see people like herself as opposed to women half her size and age."
Mower cited the July issue of Italian Vogue, which famously featured only black models, as having raised awareness about expressing racial diversity. "That really moved things on," she said. "Now we have Alek Wek, Sessillee Lopez, Jourdan Dunn. We know their names and their faces are instantly recognisable. Fashion is a soap opera and we want to know who these women are."
The halcyon days of the supermodel are gone, but she is still in demand. Linda Evangelista is the current face of Prada and Claudia Schiffer has returned to represent Chanel. Campbell fronts the latest Yves Saint Laurent advertising campaign.
The designer Giles Deacon brought back Emma Balfour, who rose to prominence alongside Kate Moss but has since retired, Liberty Ross, who appeared not long after, and Christina Kruze to model in his show. Deacon said backstage: "Christina Kruze is 39. She's the same age as me. I think those women are just as beautiful as any eighteen-year-old."
Until recently, the major shows and campaigns "have featured girls who may be no more than sixteen, who are generally white and whose career is very short," said Cathy Edwards, the fashion director of Another Magazine, the biannual edited and published by Jefferson Hack. "It's not just about that any more, though. There's much more variety. There are more black models and you only have to look at the current campaigns to see that designers are using older models too, models who people recognise and respond to on an emotional level. It's much easier to make a connection with those women and that is definitely a good thing."
Edwards, who also styled Emma Cook's show, said good health and natural beauty, as opposed to a younger, more waif-like aesthetic, were her criteria. "Clothes are always going to look good on skinny people," she continued. "Models are like other-worldly creatures, they don't look like the rest of us but we wanted ours to be aspirational, to look healthy and to have a good colour. There's a big difference between a woman who is born that way and someone who has to starve herself to fit the mould."
Erin O'Connor, herself successful on runways and billboards, is more aware of this fact than most. Today she vice-chairs the British Fashion Council, is vice-president of London Fashion Week and is founder of the Model Health Sanctuary, a refuge for models working at London Fashion Week where they can eat well, rest in between shows and benefit from relaxation therapy and even counselling, should they need it.
"When I started out it was very different," O'Connor said. "We had a longer period of time to cultivate our careers and enjoy the moment. Fashion is all about a search for newness and often today new means young." She agreed, however, that the difference this week was remarkable. "You can actually see the girls gaining confidence, literally finding their feet." She also attributes the changing environment to the model-of-the-moment, Agyness Deyn, who with her peroxide blonde crop, determinedly individual wardrobe and idiosyncratic good looks leads the new individuality. "I think Agyness represents something really healthy," O'Connor argued. "Because her look and personality is so strong, the designers work with her, it is a collaborative process, she has a certain amount of power."
She concluded: "Over the past year the look of the catwalk has been overwhelmingly positive, but we have to keep going with this. It would be wrong to say that all the problems have been solved because I've seen how young and vulnerable some of the models still are. It's going to be a constant challenge ... and it is up to all of us in the industry to take responsibility for that."

in the latest episode of Model Live, you can see Russell Marsh in action :lol:

http://www.vogue.tv/#Watch/Video_Player/8/238

I thought it's nice to be able to put a face to his name since he's been mentioned quite a lot...

Hehe, I saw that earlier today and was surprised because he seemed so classical English and refined .. For some reason I was expectiong something edgier .. :lol:

According to an agent at IMG (from the Model Live reality show) the casting director that does Phi also does Balenciaga, so unless Phi hired Ghesquiere to do the casting, it's someone else then Ghesquiere that does casting for Balenciaga, but I'm sure the designer has his opionions and they probably cooperate about chosing the girls!

The agent is talking about casting to one of his girls (can't remember which one) and says; "This is a very important casting director .. She does Phi .. Balenciaga .."

I heard Karl Lagerfeld handpicks of all his girl for his shows, but then again, it does seem like he likes to be in 100 % control about pretty much everything ..

Oh yeah I remember that too.. he was talking to Madeline I believe.

I'm just guessing but maybe in some cases casting directors act sort of like stylists picking out clothes, they pick out the girls, but the designers make the final decision, cutting and adding as they please

I remember reading an article few months back in how Miuccia Prada likes choosing girls that sort of resemble her.

Word on the street is that the casting circus for Prada this season is quite wonky to say the least. A lot of the perennial Prada favorites seem to be off the list, and some really random girls are getting confirmations. Oh and there are supposedly no worldwide exclusives (ala Natalia and Cato last season) this season.

Is it a re-branding or is it just a typically unpredictable season for Miuccia & Co.? :shifty:

I suppose we'll see the result tomorrow.

I hope its not like the season where Adina opened... random random random.. and a lot of the girls who showed up in that show (or debuted at the show) had careers that really went nowhere... (besides Ali Stephens...)

I hope its not like the season where Adina opened... random random random.. and a lot of the girls who showed up in that show (or debuted at the show) had careers that really went nowhere... (besides Ali Stephens...)

Thank God Prada's casting habits no longer hold sway over the rest of the fashion world it once did. Her shows had some of the most dreadful girls ever. Maybe other designers finally realized she had terrible taste in models. Of course, there was that rumor that the guy who cast her shows accepted bribes from IMG and Women to place girls in Prada shows...which would explain a lot.

I think the Prada girls might be becoming more soft-faced (pretty/beautiful) and less 'edgy' compared to previous editions. Even if some models don't go on to become as popular as Gemma, Daria, Sasha or Suvi, I do believe Prada has the power to set or amplify a trend for the general look. The casting has been influential enough over the years to create expectations for any girl that gets to be a part of it now. Some are able live up to those expectations, some are not. Either way, I believe it's always a deliberate decision to select a certain model given the amount of time put into it.

Prada and Jil Sander were both pretty bad, and just... lame.

I've felt the same for a few seasons now, but even more so today. It's even hard to muster up any excitement about who opened. And the exclusives were underwhelming, to say the least.

I think the Prada cast was the best in years. Opening girl Ymre Stiekema confirmed a shift in direction the minute she was shot for Linnea Rossi. As I expressed in her thread, she is completely different from all the girls that opened the Prada shows the past few years. She's in your face beautiful and pretty and not awkward/cool/edgy beautiful which is incredibly new for Prada. And with Prada still being a super influential show in terms of casting (as iperlchen explained above) this means nothing but good as far as I am concerned. I'll repeat what I said earlier in this thread....bring on the women!

Sure, but that shift's already underway, regardless of Prada. I wish they would either have taken it all the way, and skipped the funny looking/obnoxiously cute girls, or not at all. Now it was just boring and utterly predictable. Following the trend instead of creating it. Nothing buzz-worthy at all.

The Prada casting was perfect apart from one girl who I shall not name :innocent:Anyway, if girls like Ymre, Sigrid, Katie, Marloes and Nimue are the future of Prada, bring it on.

Maybe, but in that case I am just happy they are chipping in over there. The shift is underway for sure and I was just thinking about what's set that in motion....Catherine McNeil? Lara Stone? Toni Garrn's CK exclusive?

I thought that casting at Prada was incredibly boring - and while Ymre is a traditionally pretty girl, she's utterly forgettable. Nothing buzz-worthy indeed. I hate to say it, but Sasha & Stam looked the best at Prada - and that's not what I expect; I expect major impact from the newcomers.

I like Ymre. Sigrid too. They're quite refined, which is a nice change from all the pedestrian EE blondes. But casting wise Prada was just like any other show this season, you know? Most unspectacular. In a way I guess that's a good thing, though, just another sign that the crazy Prada hype of recent years is decreasing to a more normal level again.

Now that Milan's over and done with, what are your thoughts? The lack of diversity was glaring as usual, but did you see any signs of improvement compared to previous seasons?

I didn't actually....especially with the diversity. I expected that Milan would have been more diverse than NYC (which was going into a great direction compared to the last years). Take Arlenis...she was at only few shows and most shows didn't cast any other girls than Jourdan, Chanel and/or Liu Wen to create a more diverse cast.

However, i do think that the movement from edgy/qwerky/weirdly beautiful girl to pretty beautiful girl is still on the move. The Prada cast still is a great example in that as far as I am concerned. Now that we are awaiting Paris to come I am confident that this move will be more obvious than ever. Also I think that Paris has the potential to really create more diverse casts. Back when, Paris always was the most diverse and I hope they will be once again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NaKel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->