Model Casting S/S 10

not sure if this is the right place to put this but.. pretty interesting post from The Imagist :flower:

AGAINST THE BRUTAL ODDS

Of the 17 girls (and think about that figure) that emphatically broke through on the SS10 runway market only 6 are holding significant campaign and editorial options at this point. That is an important qualifier..."at this point"...because unlike previous seasons, that circle of power photographers who decide which models cross over from all that runway traction into blue chip work seem to be holding back on their campaign shooting. There is not the usual feeding frenzy to lock up those hyped new faces . No epic "New Faces" edit yet at W, no New Prada Contingent marching through Vogue Italia...yet. This is an indicator that the campaign castings are going to run even more conservatively than in recent years, skewing back to the Raquels, Sashas and Natashas, if there is even a model on the premises. Celebrities are going to continue to take a huge chunk of those choice bookings and new models...? They are certainly going to skew in that very pretty direction in your SS10 books. Though model management should be too elegant and mystical an endeavor to reduce to stats...well... here are the stats. Of the 30% of those new faces holding strong options with powerful photographers, only half will confirm. Which means of that group of :

Deborah Muller
Lisanne de Jong
Patricia Van Der Vliet
Anastasia Kuznetsova
Antonella
Jacquelyn Jablonski
Kate Kosushkina
Mirte Maas
Lindsey Wixson
Frida Gustavasson
Kristy Kaurova
Bergje Heinen
Emily Didonato
Keke Lindgard
Shu Pei
Sharon Kavjian

..only 3 of those girls will be left standing 6 months from now. Those are not bad odds as fashion should be a selective enterprise . I've said it in the past to howls of outrage taht I like this constant turnover, I like the arbitary disposal of new models because I hope it will maen only the best of the best survive. But the critical question is, as a a manger how do you convince clients that your girl is indeed one of those three? The answer to that question used to be the domain of the giants of the trade, IMG and the Women/Supreme structure. But another interesting trend that occurred this season was the breaching of those walls by Marilyn (in representing a girl who banned the opening slot at Prada an honor traditionally battled over by IMG and Women,) New York Models (Patricia), Major (Kristy) , Request (Emily), Wilhelmina (Keke) and One (Deborah).Can these mavericks manage a new girl with the acuity of IMG or Women/Supreme? That is the game that will unfold in the next month.

If as a manager you keep failing to beat the odds, will there be a future for you, your girls or your agency? Models and agents work themselves to exhaustion every season and every season comes the demoralizing realization that all that work and stress yielded no money for either agent or model. And what was the value of that long, 4 city parade of shows? The hope that the visibility thereof gave the girl a fighting chance because US Vogue noticed her or that Steven will pick up the option on her now. 3 out of 17. Place your bets on who you think might have risen to the occasion. You might very well be surprised.

Well dunno how suprising this would be, but I say Lisanne (she's definitly shot something big judging by her thread), Frida, and Mirte.

I'm guessing the six are Frida, Lisanne, Jacquelyn, Mirte, Patricia, Debora (judging by what MDC and TI are posting and what I read in people's threads and also simply my own guesses)

And my pick for the three are Frida, Mirte, Patricia

I'd pick like sharon k, bregje,lindsey for Miu Miu, then possibly lisanne,and maybe keke for calvin THAT would be surprising since she didn't walk it dunno why I feel they would suit, ..

Last edited by a moderator:
Patricia and Lisanne for sure, and maybe Debora.

Well dunno how suprising this would be, but I say Lisanne (she's definitly shot something big judging by her thread), Frida, and Mirte.

Yeah, agree with you on the top 3. Not that I get why everyone is going bananas over Lisanne but it seems like she has attracted the attention of clients (not just Miuccia's/Russell's like some other girls :innocent:) and that's what counts at the end of the day.

just a random thought: I hope Jacquelyn doesn't follow Kendra's path...

^ I totally agree...Ford needs a powerful brunette :wink: I hope Jacquelyn stays...and gets big campaigns and editorials

I haven't looked at all of these girls individual threads, but it is a matter of how their looks translate to print, are they good posers, can they convey the mood / message the photographer and client want them to project and of course, do they have an "it" factor?

I think that Frida and Keke have good looks but they look too young and in fact are too young, so I think they will get some multi-girl eds and probably some prestgious catalog work - TopShop, Mango and H&M. I think that if they are good posers, then they will work their way up in terms of visible and high impact editorials and campaigns in the next two or three seasons. If Frida has "skills" then she can be something special. Mirte Maas seems to have an "it" factor about herself as well.

I think that Jacquelyn and Patricia have the potential to get eds and campaigns sooner rather than later and even then, I think it will be mostly multi-girl eds and campaigns. I can see Jacquelyn getting a major contract as "the face of..." in the next two or three seasons.

The writer of the article is right, it is very competitive out there and these girls have to compete with established models who are still fresh, e.g., Karlie, Karmen, Constance and Jac; top models like Raquel, Iris (who I think will lock up some good stuff) and Sigrid and of course celebrities and re-emerging supers.

Models.com said to keep a close eye on Sharon and that Debora has some major campaign options, but I don't know whether or not to take this to heart. I'm not denying that Wayne and company aren't reliable when they say there is interest in these girls but we've also been told to watch out for girls like Allegra Carpenter and Chantal Lee who gone on to do signifigantly unspectacular shows. I guess what I'm trying to say is the interest in those girls could wither.

Always so dramatic. Six months from now, only three girls will be left standing. Who will it be, who will it be, cast your votes now! Call 123-456-7890 or text... Oh, wait.

A few of these girls have the potential to stay around even if they don't book major campaigns this season. Turnover rate is crazy, but not that crazy. You still see the occassional slow build. And there's always an element of unpredictability. A major campaign or a couple of eds with Steven doesn't mean you'll be the hottest contender a year from now

^^ Thank you fr that! I agree, ie Constance, who for me was last years Sharon, didn't do everything straigt away ...but over time....

Its always the second season that I judge whether a model will stay big, If a model is Prada/Klien/Givenchy etc. exclusive and has a pretty low key second season, if there still not exclusives, then they are pretty much doomed.

Exclusives are a dangerous thing IMO, they can help you ALOT and they can hurt you even WORST, look at Ymre:innocent:...

^what is a Klien exclusive? Are you talking about Steven Klein? Cause that's not the Steven everyone is talking about.

I don't think Ymre is a good example of an exclusive gone wrong, there are far more worse cases.

I can't help it but I'm really rooting for Lisanne, Patricia and Mirte. I also really like Jacquelyn..

Lisanne apparently already has 2 campaigns according to vogue.co.uk, and Mirte shot a campaign in NY according to style_expert in her thread.

i'm guessing Mirte's campaign is Balenciaga and lisanne's probably for miu miu.:innocent:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->