Nina Ricci Resort 2008

Honestly, I don't see what Olivier's direction is here. Just like in his previous collection for Ricci, the clothes seem to be made messy and unfinished on purpose. I can't quite grasp why customers would be willing to shelve out thousands of dollars for something that looks incomplete.

^point taken about the messyness, but i think that's more due to the styling. when looked at individually, especially in person, all of the garments are designed and finished impeccably. i also think there are a lot of people willing to spend a siginificant amount of money on the 'messy' urban chic look (anne demeulemeester, rick owens, yohji yamamoto, etc.).

Who on earth is the customer, buying colour-blocked t-shirts and zip-up jackets with the design-depth of A.P.C., but at the top of high-end luxury goods prices?
You know, American Apparel was the first thought which came to mind... but i'd rather have Ricci's, fro the resale value. :LL:Lol: oI love the scant bits of feathered material, which see m to state, "I'm still a fledddging..." it's the ironic beauty of this half-arsed collectin. :ninja: i wish in vain, that Nina Ricci will grow into a swan

There's honestly nothing exciting here except from the colour sensibility that he developed at Rochas and continued here at Nina Ricci... I won't doubt that some of the easy, casual pieces look nice, but taking into account that Nina Ricci and Rochas are both very similarily-positioned price wise, I don't see what value you are getting for such a deep-pocketed investment in clothes.

This is practically contemporary, consumer-friendly sportswear with all the jersey dresses t-shirts, shrunken leather jackets, drawstringed tunics and oversized knits worn with leggings, and albeit the fact that it is easily considerable as wearable clothing, there is no doubting that this is already on the market and in many young and trendy women's wardrobes - even if not in the same, luxed-up content.

I am still waiting for a directional guesture of Olivier's at Nina Ricci, but this is definitely very underwhelming, if not disappointing.

Last edited by a moderator:
you're very welcome shane. unfortunately (for me at least) the dresses are quite expensive. most of the shorter dresses and cocktail looks are in the $1500-$3000 range, while the gowns can cost as much as $20,000-$30,000.

Oh my!! That's quite a lot indeed! But I think if I start saving now, I could maybe afford the cheeper once... But 20 000!!!!!! :woot: :cry:

There's honestly nothing exciting here except from the colour sensibility that he developed at Rochas and continued here at Nina Ricci... I won't doubt that some of the easy, casual pieces look nice, but taking into account that Nina Ricci and Rochas are both very similarily-positioned price wise, I don't see what value you are getting for such a deep-pocketed investment in clothes.

This is practically contemporary, consumer-friendly sportswear with all the jersey dresses t-shirts, shrunken leather jackets, drawstringed tunics and oversized knits worn with leggings, and albeit the fact that it is easily considerable as wearable clothing, there is no doubting that this is already on the market and in many young and trendy women's wardrobes - even if not in the same, luxed-up content.

I am still waiting for a directional guesture of Olivier's at Nina Ricci, but this is definitely very underwhelming, if not disappointing.

tricot, can you give us an idea of the retail prices for the sportswear?

At Ricci, he does have a new color scheme, and he has been doing quite a few references to the L'air du Temps Lalique bottle ... plus the sportswear is new for him ...

The jeans retail between 400 - 575 Euros, don't know how much that would be in dollars, but it should be at least a third higher than what brands like Dior Homme are asking for. The denims I think are Japanese qualities, but the grey stonewashes are rather poor, they are very evenly-faded all over. If it wasn't for the fancy rivets, I would not be able to recognize them as a particularly high-end designer product.

There were a couple perfecto-style leather jackets with asymmetrical zips that I though the quality was not at all nice (very thick and not of particularly nice touch), yet they were astronomically high-priced (somewhere around 5000€ as far as I remember) - the new, washed ones he did here in Yves Klein blue look a lot more softer, yet arguably close to what Rick Owens has done for YEARS (maybe he took a little inspiration from there, with all the jeans, gauzy tees slim jersey dresses... he's been known to personally wear Rick's stuff).

my reason of concern is basically that I think Olivier has lost the 'visionairy' touch in his work. I don't see what exactly he has to say here at Nina Ricci, other than that he does the kind of (vintage-y) sportswear urban, trend-oriented girls love to wear, but done in a luxe version, decorated with loads of metal hardware like zippers, rivets and stuff. I really see that as a very similar approach to what happened with Hedi when he 'opened' Dior Homme to a wider market, focussing on accessible, but poorly-designed sportswear.

I think the best piece from Neiman's selection would definitely have to be the long-sleeved spiral drape silk dress with bubble hemline. It's very Olivier with the flou construction he developed at Rochas and the diagonal draping that he tried to seek in his first collection, and it is at once effortless and very calmly poetic.

i understand that this merely resort and it's meant to be rather easy-peasy,but really dissapointing looks from olivier.

this is like a modern more wearable version of his rochas and i really like this.. i would love to wear this but it is way way wayyy too expensive :smile:

i don't like it
just 2 dresses were ok, other stuff is so average

A bit dull, but looks really comfortable somehow.

I wish that everyone could see this collection in person. The runway show and look book photographs don't do it justice. One must also keep in mind that there are many pieces not photographed for runway, and some of the more formal pieces, including several gowns, aren't pictured here, but are particularly gorgeous. The accessories are also fantastic, but again there are few images here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->