Nina Ricci S/S 09 Paris

Unflattering!
And on top of that, it isn't even pretty.
I commend him for stepping out of the box and gaining a little more bravery but thats it.

I love the emphasis of the shoulder in this collection.

I also love the very simple pieces where the models are just wearing a tank top and shorts.

beautiful!

The silhouette is ugly, the colors saccharine and too rich. Completely off the rails, in my opinion.

I really hate that cut that he put on every skirt. Maybe if it wasn't like that I would feel better about the collection as a whole. I don't get why its every piece though

exactly my feelings, it makes the collection kinda "boring". other then the different colors he used there's not too much variation in this collection...

This is the second collection I like from Olivier at Nina Ricci (Until now F/w 07.08 was the best).
I really like it! It's romantic and the lines and shapes are great.
There are only a few pieces that I don't like.
I just thought that he should have done something a bit different because at the end the looks were looking similar and a bit repetitive.

I...almost love it. Hopefully it will grow on me. The colors are so beautiful.

ultra-short dresses with floor-length, flyaway trains in the back might look cool on the runway, but let's face it, these dresses would work only on a small majority of women that can afford these clothes, on top of the fact that the question is left unanswered where these clothes will be worn except from (maybe) the red carpet (and at that it would have to be a VERY cool and independently-minded actress/starlet pulling off these looks)? rochas was widely criticized for being a collection consisting only of extremely price-y cocktail dresses and evening gowns, but what it also had were skirt- and pantsuits and separates that any woman could have worn and looked good in. with nina ricci, i don't see who exactly is going to be targeted with these clothes? and who buys it in the end?? certainly this show collection did not answer any questions on who the new ricci girl/woman is. they better have a more customer-friendly proposal up in the showroom.

Last edited by a moderator:
ultra-short dresses with floor-length, flyaway trains in the back might look cool on the runway, but let's face it, these dresses would work only on a small majority of women that can afford these clothes, on top of the fact that the question is left unanswered where these clothes will be worn except from (maybe) the red carpet (and at that it would have to be a VERY cool and independently-minded actress/starlet pulling off these looks)? rochas was widely criticized for being a collection consisting only of extremely price-y cocktail dresses and evening gowns, but what it also had were skirt- and pantsuits and separates that any woman could have worn and looked good in. with nina ricci, i don't see who exactly is going to be targeted with these clothes? and who buys it in the end?? certainly this show collection did not answer any questions on who the new ricci girl/woman is. they better have a more customer-friendly proposal up in the showroom.
You've basically summed up my feelings about this collection.

I won't deny that their are moments of real beauty here, and the dropped hem looks wonderful when it's billowing behind the wearer, but out of 30 some-odd looks that's all he showed. I'm sure that he was going for impact, but to what end? It's like you said, this isn't giving us any more incite into what Ricci is all about. We already know it's a sort of dishevelled beauty that Theyskens favors for the house. But this doesn't make any more of an impact than, say, s/s 08 which imo was more beautiful and certainly had more variety to it.

I think the silhouette is very beautiful...
and when paired with Olivier's aesthetic, it's very fresh...
I would prefer a diff. color palette, something a bit more dramatic...
but def. a very interesting collection for Olivier... :heart:

and moreover, only modelicious women can pull of those looks... not everyone has nice legs like the models.

I won't deny that their are moments of real beauty here, and the dropped hem looks wonderful when it's billowing behind the wearer, but out of 30 some-odd looks that's all he showed. I'm sure that he was going for impact, but to what end? It's like you said, this isn't giving us any more incite into what Ricci is all about. We already know it's a sort of dishevelled beauty that Theyskens favors for the house. But this doesn't make any more of an impact than, say, s/s 08 which imo was more beautiful and certainly had more variety to it.

And that's my worry about this, what you and Tricot said. It's gorgeous but there's nothing to make women start salivating over the runway looks. But I think it sends a strong message as what Theyskens believes to be beautiful and where he wants to take it.

I was torn whether I love this collection but after you guys summed it up I see that although greatly beautiful this collection is not very wearable.

for many many years now we've seen great creators like galliano, mcqueen, jean paul, or even tom ford or miuccia prada send hundreds of weird looking models down the runway... impossible dresses, and volumes, and colours, and exposed flesh, and purple nipples, and unwearable shoes... yet we all know that by the time all these pieces got to the showrooms and then the department stores and the boutiques, there was no more than a slight essence of the runway look that had been translated into perfectly wearable pieces that were luckily just as flawless... i think we can expect lovely fitting jackets, and maybe more opaque dresses... and about the ones with the different lenghts... maybe they'll just chop the tail off :ninja: :lol:
i guess that's why in a way i cant help but being greatly surprised by the concern some members like tricotineacetat:flower: have expressed on the wearability... let's just think of this as a greatly enjoyable fashion show... still several months to go until we find any version of these in stores :flower:
i think the nina ricci woman isnt far from a balenciaga woman or a givenchy woman, the balmain woman... she is of course much softer and girlier (she is not the rock concert babe the others can be at times)... but she is just as daring as they are. in the past three seasons since his debut, he has showed clothes that appeal from younger "girls" (and that would be his first) to older woman (this winter)... maybe this is in between. maybe it doesnt have the somewhat comfy-easy-non restrictive-wearable allure of the first collection... maybe it's more mature, confident, sexual, fiercer...
maybe this is his approach to a more post-modern romantic woman (in terms of passional beyond rationality and functionality)
i think there is a market for this proposition and i hope we'll see a lot of this in eds and stars and the streets ultimately/hopefully in the months to come:flower:

some of the simpler pieces (just sheer white with little adornments) really remind me of Rochas...:heart:

I did not expect anything like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

Same, same.

What I usually get from Ricci are pieces that are gothic without being black. The collections are usually golden, but this time the pieces are a tad boring.

I agree 100%.

What I loved so much about Rochas, and Nina Ricci FW 07 was the perfect blend of reality and fantasy. At Rochas, even though his earlier collections were nothing but gowns, they were still gowns that women could not wait to wear. And in 2006, not only were there extremely desirable romantic gowns, there were pantsuits, skirts, blazers, blouses...I mean, they all could have been incorporated into any stylish, confident woman's wardrobe. And then at Nina Ricci FW 07, Olivier introduced a new way of sweater dressing, and fantastic slouchy pantsuits that were perfectly balanced by magnificent eveningwear.

However, this collection is not relevant at all. (And while I certainly didn't like his last two collections, at least there was some sliver of relevance). This just has no reality in it. I have absolutely NO problem with fantastical fashion. But there MUST be some reality to it (even if the reality is burried under outrageous clothes...almost like the Princess and the Pea. There has to be that little pea of reality or else it's all matress). That's why I don't like collections like McQueen FW 08...it's all fantasy and no reality. Or at least, the idea behind the collection must be real.

I don't know...I'm just not digging this collection.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->