Online Support Group

I decided to start dieting again on saturday. I actually lost some weight in the beginning of January but then gained it all back again after I started eating bad again. Our marching band is going to disney in a month and I really need to shed a few pounds to feel decent in shorts and swimsuits. Good luck to everyone with their goals!!

Hey everyone. I posted a seperate thread about this but I'd like to help everyone here with their goals and steer them on the right track. As I said in my other post, a lot of the diets (atkins, slim fast..etc) and such were not working for me, so I decided to do a lot of research and make my own plan, which helped me lose 75lbs of fat, drop from a size 40 to a size 32 and go from 22% body fat to 9% in a little less than 5 months.

I am very pasionate about being healthy now, and I am always eager to help others get on track and reach their goals. I'm currently eating raw foods and a vegan, but if you are not that's ok, I can still help. If anyone would like some help building a plan and/or has any questions about nutrition, tips, excersizing, feel free to ask! You can post here, email me at [email protected] or IM me on AIM at lovemyhummus

Good luck with everything everyone!

Hi mouko! I think my biggest problem is being consistent. I'm great for a few days or a few weeks, and then I slip back into old habits. Especially when I'm under stress. Any suggestions?

Originally posted by tealady@Feb 16th, 2004 - 10:08 pm
Hi mouko! I think my biggest problem is being consistent. I'm great for a few days or a few weeks, and then I slip back into old habits. Especially when I'm under stressed. Any suggestions?
There are several things you can do to make your eviromental fail proof.

First you shouldn't have a negative attitude if you DO slip. The biggest mistake people make if they slip or are understress is this.

They have a craving or have nothing else to eat except something that's generally not good. They eat it (say, a slice of pizza) and tell themselves "I've had one and I'm off track, I might as well have another"

I'm telling you its ok to screw up or get off track once in a while. We all need it. It'll kill that craving. But don't make it a habit.

Keeping it positive will keep you on track. Instead of beating yourself up for slipping, remember that its ok because its not a big deal and just go back on track.

Preparing things in advance and packing them is also a good way of keeping yourself on track when things get hetic. Prepacked foods such as salads are a good way to stay on track as well as meal replacement bars. When looking for energy bars/meal replacement bars, look for those with a moderate calorie count (150-250 calories), a good amount of protein, fiber and vitamins. I personally pack some Cliff bars in my bag. But remember that nothing is better than a real meal, so don't eat bars all the time.

Could you give me more info on what kind of things you're doing (diet, excersize..etc)..It'll help me more in making it easier for you to stay on track.

Originally posted by mouko@Feb 16th, 2004 - 10:01 pm
on AIM at lovemyhummus
:lol: :lol: :lol: I love hummus, too.

Well, I remember I posted in this thread in the very beginning (I was home on winter break and my mom dragged me to the gym a couple of times), but I've been absent since then. Shame on me!

On the bright side, though, I have an appointment this Thursday evening to get my "Fit Check" so I can use the cardio equipment at the campus gym (it's funny, anybody can walk in and use the weight machines, but in order to use the treadmills and stuff they have to check your heart rate and pinch your fat and stuff :P ). I have some workout buddies, one experienced for when I need a "personal trainer" and one inexperienced for when I want a more low-key workout.

So yes, come Thursday I'll be ready to jump right back into this thread. B)

I've worked out around 3-4 times a week and I'm really starting to love to run - I NEVER thought I would say that :P but it is going great! I have hardly lost any weight but I think it is mostly because of I've build a lot of muscles

Hey guys, I'm joining you all in a quest for a fit body! I know it's a bit late to joing, but better late than never, right?! Anyway, I hope things are going well for all of you. I have been going to the gym a few nights a week for about 3 weeks now. I haven't really lost any weight, but I'm pretty sure I can feel my leg muscles getting stronger from my strength training!

My question is, I've heard it's not good to do weight machines on your abs, because it will make you bulk up (I have a lot of fat around my stomach). Does anyone know good exercises that I can do instead of ab weights to get a flatter stomach, and that I can do in addition to the leg and arm weights I'm doing??? Please help!

im waiting for my Primordial Sound Meditation instructor to come back from india. :woot:

Ok, tomorrow I'm gonna try to start eating only fruit, vegetables and fish, because besides not losing any weight, I've also start breaking out. So if I hold out, I'm rewarding myself with desert on Sunday. I've been running 3-4 times a week, but I'm starting to get shin splints again so I might have to take a break.

I can't believe I missed this thread! :shock:

Wow you guys are all doing great! :clap:

I am currently trying to improve my lifestyle, so this is perfect for me, to give me some motivation!
My goal is not necessarily to lose a lot of weight, I am already pretty thin, but recently I think my hip/thigh/stomach areas have become out of shape.

My problem is with food, I have never really liked it. I hate to cook and usually just grab whatever is most convenient. I am also very picky about food, and will often not eat if I don't have anything that I like. I'll rather not eat than eat something I don't like, to put it like that. Therefore I am very often hungry, and will snack on things that seem to fill me up, like chocolate with nuts and stuff like that. Obviously not very healthy. When I was younger I could get away with it because I never put on any weight, but now it's really hard to get rid of the old habits :ninja:

But I'm trying, and I've gotten better at it. I make sure to drink lots of water (I always have a bottle with me), and I'm trying to eat lots of fruit and veggies. But another problem for me is planning ahead when it comes to food. We go grocery shopping once a week, and I find it so hard to come up with dinners for every day of the week (and because I'm so picky, I feel like I'm always eating the same), and also to make sure that I buy enough fruits and healthy snacks. I have also recently moved in with my boyfriend, and we have VERY different eating habits. When I buy something (lots of fruits for example) I plan to have it for a while, and eat a little every day, but he just eats everything at once, he eats until it is empty. He can eat so much more than me and it's hard to estimate how much we will need.

As for excercise I don't have any plans yet :ninja: . I'm not going to join a gym, but I will try to be more active. Hopefully the weather will start to get better soon so that it will be easier for me to walk to uni every day. I've been a real slacker lately and taking the bus, but I hate walking in snow and slush! :angry: But I will try to start walking more, and that will give me about 50 minutes of walking, 4 days a week, I guess that's a start :rolleyes:

My ultimate goal is to be comfortable in a bikini this summer :innocent:

Any advice or tips will be greatly appreciated!

Originally posted by curiouslystrong2@Feb 19th, 2004 - 5:56 pm
Hey guys, I'm joining you all in a quest for a fit body! I know it's a bit late to joing, but better late than never, right?! Anyway, I hope things are going well for all of you. I have been going to the gym a few nights a week for about 3 weeks now. I haven't really lost any weight, but I'm pretty sure I can feel my leg muscles getting stronger from my strength training!

My question is, I've heard it's not good to do weight machines on your abs, because it will make you bulk up (I have a lot of fat around my stomach). Does anyone know good exercises that I can do instead of ab weights to get a flatter stomach, and that I can do in addition to the leg and arm weights I'm doing??? Please help!
I'm assuming you are a female, but if you're not please correct me.

Women do not get as bulky as men, I know a common fear for women are looking like those man women bodybuilders on ESPN, but weight training won't make you look like that, drugs will. It's obvious that most of them are taking some type of steroid because most have manly features.

Women have a higher percentage of body fat and lower percentage of muscle than men, mainly because of child bearing (more energy needed), and of course, less testosterone.

Weight training is the most effective way of burning fat, nearly 99% of calories burned during weight training are from fat, compared to aerobics 60-70% range.

Making muscles bulky requires you to stress the muscles with weights that work your muscle about 72-85% of its ability. This causes small tears in your muscles and resting between weightraining days (1-2 days) allows your muscles to heal, making the muscles bigger.

But, by doing lighter weights, ones that work your muscles 50-60% of its ability, you do not tear the muscles as much and basically promote endurance and burn calories

This is why lighter weights are recommended for women or those that want a leaner body.

To find the right weight for you, it's basically trial and error.

If you can do a certain amount of weights no more than 6 reps, that will be your maximum single set weight (working your muscles 72-85%). Decrease the weight until you can do 15-20 reps, this will be your endurance weight, working your muscles 50-60% of its ability. If you can barely lift the weight more than 3 times, you're lifting too much.

Remember, an overall aerobic routine (like running, biking, tae bo..etc) will help flatten that stomach as well.

Originally posted by Caramel@Feb 26th, 2004 - 6:11 am
I can't believe I missed this thread! :shock:

Wow you guys are all doing great! :clap:

I am currently trying to improve my lifestyle, so this is perfect for me, to give me some motivation!
My goal is not necessarily to lose a lot of weight, I am already pretty thin, but recently I think my hip/thigh/stomach areas have become out of shape.

My problem is with food, I have never really liked it. I hate to cook and usually just grab whatever is most convenient. I am also very picky about food, and will often not eat if I don't have anything that I like. I'll rather not eat than eat something I don't like, to put it like that. Therefore I am very often hungry, and will snack on things that seem to fill me up, like chocolate with nuts and stuff like that. Obviously not very healthy. When I was younger I could get away with it because I never put on any weight, but now it's really hard to get rid of the old habits :ninja:

But I'm trying, and I've gotten better at it. I make sure to drink lots of water (I always have a bottle with me), and I'm trying to eat lots of fruit and veggies. But another problem for me is planning ahead when it comes to food. We go grocery shopping once a week, and I find it so hard to come up with dinners for every day of the week (and because I'm so picky, I feel like I'm always eating the same), and also to make sure that I buy enough fruits and healthy snacks. I have also recently moved in with my boyfriend, and we have VERY different eating habits. When I buy something (lots of fruits for example) I plan to have it for a while, and eat a little every day, but he just eats everything at once, he eats until it is empty. He can eat so much more than me and it's hard to estimate how much we will need.

As for excercise I don't have any plans yet :ninja: . I'm not going to join a gym, but I will try to be more active. Hopefully the weather will start to get better soon so that it will be easier for me to walk to uni every day. I've been a real slacker lately and taking the bus, but I hate walking in snow and slush! :angry: But I will try to start walking more, and that will give me about 50 minutes of walking, 4 days a week, I guess that's a start :rolleyes:

My ultimate goal is to be comfortable in a bikini this summer :innocent:

Any advice or tips will be greatly appreciated!
I recommend you getting Dr. Phil's 7 keys to weightloss book.

Sit down and tell your boyfriend how important it is to you to start being healthy and get him into reading the book and doing it with you..It will strengthen your relationship as well as get the both of you to being more health conscious.

I hate to be some kind of a plug in person, but I really think the book will help you better than I can, since a lot of what I know comes from my sucess with that book, 15.00 isn't much if you want to be healthier and strengthen your relationship with your boyfriend.

Good luck!

hey all,
I did pilates earlier in the week and was quite proud of myself but being in the boonies and having crap cafeteria food my eating has gone downhill. I'm watching my calories (not counting, just watching) and I think I'm generally around the right amount (1500) but it's mostly carbs like oatmeal and stuff so thats not so good. Haven't restarted pilates yet because my back wasn't up to (fell down stairs to the tube in dec., still not fully healed). Anyway just wanted to give you all an update and keep up the spirit everyone!

Yesterday I did twenty runs of this huge flight of steps in my area. Phew- some exercise at last! :innocent:

Hi guys,
I'm joining this late...haven't been on this site in a while.

My goal is to lose 30 pounds by July (roughly 2-3 pounds a week). I've been exercising and changing my food choices since the beginning of February. So far, I've lost some inches off my waist and thighs (I don't weight myself because I do weight training and muscle weighs more than fat).

So far I haven't worked out this week...I've been too tired to go to the gym (I work out at 5:00am :wacko: ). Hopefully you guys will be some added inspiration!!

Good luck to everyone!! B)

Originally posted by Alejandro@Mar 12th, 2004 - 4:56 am
I only had my coffee with milk instead of Baileys :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Ale!

I have been bad for a bit, still doing yoga, but eating too much ice cream! I got back on the wagon two days ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->