Oscar Pistorius charged with murder in death of model girlfriend

I've been following the trial. I think he's 100% guilty and watching the trial is making me angry. But I agree with the statement above that his lawyer is ripping the witnesses statements apart. He's good. Does anyone find it disturbing that he's now dating a 19 year old girl?

I haven't seen any of the coverage, but I've heard reports of it. They said when they were talking about the bullets used and the damage they did that Pistorius was vomiting in the court room in a bucket!

Oscar Pistorius Did Not Intentionally Kill Reeva Steenkamp: Judge

Oscar Pistorius was set to meet his fate on Thursday.

In her lengthy review of the verdict facing the double-amputee Olympic track star, the judge stated that under South African law, Pistorius would not be found guilty of murder – the most serious charge he faced.

This left Pistorius, who openly wept in the courtroom Thursday, facing either culpable homicide or a complete acquittal.

The final verdict is expected to be delivered sometime Thursday, as the proceedings continue.

The emotional trial lasted six months in Johannesburg, South Africa, and included a month-long break so the Paralympian sprinter known as "Blade Runner" could be evaluated by a team of mental health experts.

Judge Thokozile Masipa, along with two legal assistants, then spent the past five weeks deliberating on a verdict in the shooting death of Pistorius's girlfriend – model and women's rights activist Reeva Steenkamp – early in the morning on Valentine's Day 2013.

The one-time Golden Boy of sports testified in his own defense in April and had remained free on bail throughout the trial.

While on the witness stand, Pistorius, 27, said he heard a window open in his bathroom in the early hours of Feb. 14, 2013, causing him to believe intruders had entered his house and race to get to his gun to defend himself and his girlfriend, whom he claimed he thought was still in bed.

In a quivering voice, Pistorius referred to the moment when he said he thought there was a burglar as when "everything changed."

"I wanted to put myself between the person who gained access to my house and Reeva," Pistorius said.

Prosecutors, however, maintained that Pistorius shot his girlfriend in a rage and presented witnesses who painted him as short-tempered and gun-obsessed.

Pistorius had faced 25 years to life in prison if convicted of premeditated murder. A lesser murder charge or negligent killing would also have called for years in jail.
people.com

:angry::angry: I just don't understand how the judge managed to come to this conclusion. It looks like he will be found guilty of culpable homicide which I understand is the term used in SA for manslaughter but I bet he'll get a suspended sentence for that.

^I have no words. It seems as long as you are somewhat of a celebrity, you can get away with anything. It's just sad at this point really.

Everyone says the legal system is corrupt in SA but I honestly thought as there was so much global attention on this case, it would be fairer.

I remember Masipa coming off as rather senile several times during the trial.. the fact that their whatsapp exchanges are meaningless for her as are the neighbors' testimonies or the food in her stomach and that she believes Pistorius was really scared for Reeva (!) just makes me think she wasn't quite 'with us' in the Spring. It's just so stupid, no words, and don't get me started on the 'you'll always be a hero!' people outside the court.

So apparently they postponed the verdict. For me, whatever the outcome will be is really of no consequence, I mean he's walking either way, right? Its a black day for womens activists all over the world, and more importantly, the SA legal system has really made a mockery of themselves.

This is incredibly disgusting and I cannot believe he was not found guilty on these accounts, it really speaks volumes on the justice system in SA. I read somewhere the the judge has in the past actually given very strict sentences in cases with domestic violence, so to see this verdict and knowing this actually makes it feel like even more of a punch in the stomach. It is disgusting what money can allow a person to get away with. Hopefully the overall verdict has some sensible part in it, otherwise I hope this judge can live with the fact she is letting a guilty man walk free. This is infuriating and I feel for Reeva's family so, so much.

So apparently they postponed the verdict. For me, whatever the outcome will be is really of no consequence, I mean he's walking either way, right? Its a black day for womens activists all over the world, and more importantly, the SA legal system has really made a mockery of themselves.

I saw what you did there.

Latest is that he's found guilty of culpable homicide, and guilty of firearm charge, could face 15 years in the nick! Sadly, he's been acquitted of murder. So conclude, a slap on the wrist at best!!

^I have no words. It seems as long as you are somewhat of a celebrity, you can get away with anything. It's just sad at this point really.

EXACTLY. I'm so angry I cannot express. The fact that Masipa sides with OP and believes his version that he 'thought there was an intruder' is unbelievable to me. There have been a few articles stating that she isn't properly taking the definition of 'dolus eventualis' into consideration.

"Intent in the form of dolus eventualis or legal intention, which is present when the perpetrator objectively foresees the possibility of his act causing death and persists regardless of the consequences, suffices to find someone guilty of murder." (duhaime.org)

Articles are saying, and I 100% agree, that even though he may have thought there was an intruder in the toilet room, rather than Reeva, doesn't mean he still didn't murder someone and knew his actions could possibly kill someone. He fired 4 shots, at close range, into a very small room, without actually seeing a threat. So let's say he's telling the truth and he truly thought there was an intruder (which I think is BS:( just because he killed the 'wrong' person (Reeva instead of intruder), doesn't mean he didn't just take a life. He knew what he was doing.

I could go on for days...:angry: I hope the state appeals the verdict.

This is disgusting. How exactly can you shoot someone through a cubicle door several times and not meant to murder them? This type of defence opens a very scary precedent, since when your own personal paranoia justifies murder? if you think about it that defence can be applied to any murder.Absolutely revolting!

Last edited by a moderator:
sentencing is in a month. but it's interesting that the reaction is largely shock, not just from us. most people think that even if he didn't get "premeditation" it was at the least "murder"...

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:

Oscar Pistorius starts five-year prison sentence for culpable homicide of girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp

Paralympic star could serve as little as 10 months behind bars

Heather Saul
Tuesday 21 October 2014

Oscar Pistorius has today been sentenced to five years in prison for the death of Reeva Steenkamp, although the disgraced athlete could serve as little as 10 months behind bars.

Judge Masipa ruled a non-custodial sentence would send the wrong impression to the community, but a long sentence would not be appropriate because it would appear to lack mercy.

The athlete was immediately taken down to the cells, before being transferred to the notorious Pretoria Central Prison.

These are the main points from today's hearing:

• Athlete won't appeal sentence, his family confirms
• Steenkamp family say punishment “is the right sentence”
• The State prosecuting authority has not yet decided whether to appeal against conviction for culpable homicide
• Pistorius is likely to serve ten months behind bars, according to legal experts
• Paralympian has left Pretoria High Court and is expected to be transferred to Pretoria Central prison, now known as the Kgosi Mampuru II correctional facility.
• Twitter has reacted with anger at the five-year sentence handed to Pistorius

Judge Masipa also sentenced the athlete to an additional three years in prison, wholly suspended, for the second count of a firearm contravention.

Source: The Telegraph.co.uk

10 months for cold blooded brutal murder. way to go South Africa judicial system.

me neither. I think the judge gave some decent reasoning and take on justice though, regardless of the outcome, sometimes one gets too exposed to the interpretation of it in America, which is kind of eye for eye, rot forever in a cell, die with chemicals like a rat, etc etc that you no longer know if there's a portion of sanity left somewhere in our society. But yeah, 5 years is a joke, he will go out and with enough money, resume back to his ways. At least he'll always carry the stigma...

Indeed, 'soft sentencing' is no ideal solution for society either. To me, it feels like that girl died for nothing. There's been no real penalty imposed for being able to deprive her of her life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->