Oscar Pistorius charged with murder in death of model girlfriend

I'm sure the guy with no legs will do GREAT in prison. Hopefully cruel and unusual will be a daily part of his life.

^Well, at least he has callous manipulation down to a T.

Personally, I find your comment a bit gross vega magnus, his disability isn't a reason to dislike/mock him. Oscar Pistorius's actions are the reasons to dislike him. I don't understand why it needs to be brought up in such a way. Don't get me wrong, like I've said before, I hope that Pistorius get's the proper court sentence, and from the new information that's been released, I don't see how he wont get some sort sentence. And I find that the way several newspapers and news-reports have been covering this case to be awful. It's disgusting that they've been using photographs from Reeva's modeling days as a way to lure in readers. I mean, have respect people, a women is dead, do you think her family wants those photographs splashed about? Also, does anyone else feel like some people are trying to make excuses for Pistorius's behavior? Like just because he's a world famous athlete, that somehow excuses the fact that he killed his girlfriend?

It's vile that magazines are juxtaposing this woman's modeling photos with the news of her murder. We live in a culture so inundated with sexual violence that images of a woman in swimwear are used to advertise the gory details of her death like it's nothing.

Personally, I find your comment a bit gross vega magnus, his disability isn't a reason to dislike/mock him. Oscar Pistorius's actions are the reasons to dislike him. I don't understand why it needs to be brought up in such a way. Don't get me wrong, like I've said before, I hope that Pistorius get's the proper court sentence, and from the new information that's been released, I don't see how he wont get some sort sentence. And I find that the way several newspapers and news-reports have been covering this case to be awful. It's disgusting that they've been using photographs from Reeva's modeling days as a way to lure in readers. I mean, have respect people, a women is dead, do you think her family wants those photographs splashed about? Also, does anyone else feel like some people are trying to make excuses for Pistorius's behavior? Like just because he's a world famous athlete, that somehow excuses the fact that he killed his girlfriend?

I think part of it is in Western society we have cultivated this image of the "saintly invalid" who is somehow perfect or closer to God somehow because of his/her disability. It's pervasive throughout our culture; you see it in literature, films, and certainly there are several historical figures who seem to justify this image. The downside is we pity them but we're rarely ever given the opportunity to see them as complete human beings who have good points as well as flaws like the rest of us.

And of course, Pistorius himself had a remarkable story. I know a lot of people were initially shocked because he was an underdog the vast majority rooted for. And from the looks of things right now he turned out to be a monster.

^ Yeah. Erving Goffman's texts on stigma is worth reading. Such an interesting topic (disabilities, the way we perceive them, how they put in jeopardy our own "abilities", blahblah).

Regarding the murder... wow.. I'm honestly just WTF. For a moment I thought it could actually be a mistake (*naive by nature*) but the bathroom thing, her hand.. ugh.. how horrid, being so intimate with uhh your murderer, for such a long time.. there are many stories like this everyday but it's still so unsettling.

You know what has shocked me most about this horrible crime is the extent to which the media has been so sympathetic in their treatment of Pistorius, well at least in the UK. It's amazing how people are bending over backwards to make excuses for this guy and what he has done. Well, you might say that we have to wait for the verdict but it is clear that he did shoot her (he hasn't denied it) and that he has some kind of history of violence/bad temper. Yet all the coverage I've seen on the news is basically like a sympathetic obituary for him, making excuses about how hard his life has been, how he has had trouble with pressure, how much he has done for paralympic sport, how he was crying and traumatised in court etc. How about the poor woman who clearly suffered at his hands, maybe he's always been an evil psychopath? And at the same time you have One Billion Rising marches, all this (rightful) anger about high profile gang-r*pe cases in India & South Africa and lecturing 'third world' countries about women's rights. I don't understand why some kinds of men get excuses made for them. Maybe I'm not making sense but the news coverage of this has really made me mad.

I agree. I'm disgusted by the coverage in this country.
And that appalling Sun front page was clearly the icing on the cherry.

Personally, I find your comment a bit gross vega magnus, his disability isn't a reason to dislike/mock him. Oscar Pistorius's actions are the reasons to dislike him. I don't understand why it needs to be brought up in such a way.
I wasn't mocking his disability. I was merely noting that he is going to have a difficult time in prison because of his disability. I wonder how the authorities would handle that? Would he get sent to a special prison for disabled people? How does that work?

^ I knew what you meant, people here are too serious:rolleyes:

He'll definitely get preferential treatment, being a celebrity and all. So I don't think his disability would even matter.

To be honest, after hearing his defence, I do think that he is innocent..

How in the world?!?!

- We know he lied about not having his prosthetics on, as detectives found the shots were fired from to high of an angle for him not to have them on.
- The angle on her body that she was hit indicate that she was not on the toilet as reported but in a crouched position behind the toilet. [Hiding, clearly].
- His holster on his gun was located on her side of the bed.
- He would have also had to walk past the bed to get to the bathroom.
- Witnesses saw lights turn on before the shots.
- Witnesses heard fighting between them.

If he gets away with this it will be as big as OJ Simpson getting off.

And who would shoot someone through a door? Yes, if you knew for a fact tht it was an armed person inside but otherwise....

I don't see how anyone can even think this man could be innocent if you think this through.

It's such a flimsy excuse: Wouldn't he want to wake up his girlfriend sleeping next to him first and get her to flee and call for help if his macho self were to confront the "burglar" in the locked bathroom with a gun? No, let her sleep while I crawl to the bathroom and shoot the intruder instead-- don't want to disturb her...

He shot her like some wild game while she tried to hide from him. Lovely man.

Nike and Mugler have each dropped Oscar Pistorius as a brand ambassador in the wake of the shooting death of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp. According to Nike, the accused murderer and double-amputee athlete's lucrative endorsement contract with the sportswear giant has been "suspended" pending the outcome of his criminal trial. Pistorius had been the face of Mugler's AMen fragrance since 2011 — the men's version of its popular Angel scent — but the company announced it is withdrawing the ads out of "respect and compassion" for the Steenkamp family. Pistorius had starred in Nike ads that bore the tag-line "I am the bullet in the chamber."
Jezebel.com via WWD

I'm not surprised by this news, the brands are doing the right thing by dropping his contracts, it's what happens whenever a major celebrity does something terrible. Obviously the companies don't want to be associated with someone & a situation like this and I don't blame them.

It's so sad. It's hard not to recall OJ and that whole fiasco. I still can't believe he was acquitted. Let's hope that doesn't happen again!

I have a bad feeling that he is going to be acquitted. His lawyer just seems to be fustratingly good at his job.
Posted via Mobile Device

^I think so too. Here in France the news just go on and on about how good his defense is, they've already put one investigator out of the picture, and they try as hard as they can to make the accusation lose credibility..

I'm listening to the bail hearing now and I think he's going to be granted it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blissfullychelle
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->