Pale / Fair Skin - What Are Your Fave Products? #2

I absolutely love Bobbi Brown Corrector. :D My shade is Porcelain Bisque and this is the only corrector that completely covers up my dark circles. I just hit the pan after using it for 5 months almost every day. Unfortunately Bobbi Brown is not available in my country yet, so I don't know what I'm going to buy next.
I thought Bobbi Brown Extra SPF 25 Tinted Moisturizing Balm would be perfect for colder months, but I didn't get much use of it this winter. My skin wasn't any drier than usual and I found this foundation a little too rich even for my skin.

I also bought the Bourjois 123 Perfect CC Cream and I've been really happy with it. I thought it might be a bit dark for me but it matches my skin very well. I think it's a wonderful product for the price.

I just rediscovered Wet n Wild Cover AllConcealer Palette again. I adore it. It is fantastic for covering my blue circles. It is the best concealer I have ever tried. I hope Wet n Wild never stops making it.

Accepting Pale Skin

So, I'm French-Canadian with naturally olive toned skin. I tan VERY easily in the sun, but do not allow myself to tan because of the harmful effects of sun exposure. I have dark hair and eyes, and yellow skin tones, but I'm very pale. Have any of you decided to stay pale, even though you'd tan naturally in the sun? What kind of tricks do you use to illuminate your complexion? I'm not a big makeup person, but I feel like I need a little blush and mascara so I don't look dead. Does anyone use self tanner for more of a glow? I need some support! haha. It's hard to not give into to the healthy tanned look our society seems to love. :shock:

I know there's already a thread for makeup tips for pale people, but I'm under the impression it's for those who are naturally pale and burn in the sun.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm like you, pale with dark hair and eyes and I like staying pale even though I tan well; it just suits my features better. (If I tan I try to tan just my arms and legs.)

Just wear your mascara, find your perfect shade of red lipstick and you'll be set! :smile:

Since you say you're not a big makeup person, if red lipstick is not for you, try a rich berry stain like Benetint on your lips and cheeks; I bet you'll look lovely :heart:.

btw I'm not sure that the tanned look is as strong as before, seems to me people like Katy Perry and Dita von Teese are style leaders right now so you're in good company

So, I'm French-Canadian with naturally olive toned skin. I tan VERY easily in the sun, but do not allow myself to tan because of the harmful effects of sun exposure. I have dark hair and eyes, and yellow skin tones, but I'm very pale. Have any of you decided to stay pale, even though you'd tan naturally in the sun? What kind of tricks do you use to illuminate your complexion? I'm not a big makeup person, but I feel like I need a little blush and mascara so I don't look dead. Does anyone use self tanner for more of a glow? I need some support! haha. It's hard to not give into to the healthy tanned look our society seems to love. :shock:

I know there's already a thread for makeup tips for pale people, but I'm under the impression it's for those who are naturally pale and burn in the sun.
Loved your post, Liya! I am also very pale with yellow undertones but I don't like to sunbathe and tan does not suit me either. Totally get your point of view- I'm sometimes tired of remarks like "you look pale, you should tan a little". I just don't care about it- you must feel good in your own skin, not please other people. (I'll never get why tanned skin is considered prettier than fair skin by so many people.) But as Melisande noticed, tanning (and fake-tanning) trend is not as strong as it used to be a few years ago.
For highlighting my skin I'm currently using Too Faced Candlelight Glow Duo (especially the ivory half). I could also write a book about finding the perfect pale foundation with yellow undertones. :rofl:
I've found out that I look good with warm red and orange lipstick (I stick to makeup products with warm colour undertones, same applies to eyeshadows and blush).
I use a tiny bit of bronzer but only to contour my face.

Melisande- I wouldn't wear red liptstick unless I was at a special event, but I will try a berry colour stain!

BibiRose- what shades of eyeshadow/blush do you use? I agree with using warm undertones? I don't wear eyeshadow very often, but right now I use warm undertones on my lips and cheeks. Josie Maran cheek and lip coconut water gelee in Honeymoon Honey. It looks a lot darker in the image, it goes on sheer and doesn't look dark at all!

723738994_o.jpg

I could also write a book about finding the perfect pale foundation with yellow undertones. :rofl:

Please DO! What are your faves?? I've never found foundation that suits me in Europe or the US, so I have to stock up when I'm in Japan, and even there I find many foundations are too pink. My favorite is Lancome Teint Miracle in O-025. I also like Shiseido's Perfect Refining Foundation in O20 if I have to get foundation in the US. I use MAC mineralize powder in NC 15, which I love.

I finally met a girl at a MAC counter in Paris who understood my skintone and aesthetic perfectly, and I fell in love with her suggestion to use just a tad bit of Tenderling to add a slight blush and contour. I stay away from bronzers, doesn't suit me.

Other than that, I've never met a lipstick I loved more than Dubonnet by MAC (dark red/burgundy on the slightly rust-ish side), and I swipe a black cat-eye. I hardly use eyeshadow, but if I do, I use a smudge of shimmery olive green tones or a black smokey eye.

Liya, another thing I used to do is just tap just a tiny amount of lipstick on your lips with the fingers, which has a similar effect.

I'm very pale with blonde hair and hazel eyes. I'm currently using MAC Pro Longwear Foundation in NC15 and this is by far the best liquid foundation I have ever tried not only by MAC but also in general. I know many people dislike MAC foundations and I can understand why but this one really works for me. My skin has changed, I work in the office everyday and I need something that lasts all day and at the moment I prefer medium to full coverage with semi-matte finish.

My most used blush is definitely Sin by Nars followed by Tarte Amazonian Clay Long-Wear Blush in Natural Beauty.

And I absolutely LOVE wearing red lipstick. :angel: It has become my signature lip look but I don't use any eye make-up except for mascara. I go for bold lips/no eye make-up look all year round actually.

Melisande, I'm going to buy that MAC lipstick color you suggested! I definitely do what you suggested with lipstick and dab it on with my fingers, otherwise I look wayyyy to dramatic at work!

Question: what's tenderling?

Peach and orange blushes and lip balms look very flattering, it may depend from your eye colour which colors of eyeshadows will suit you best. I have dark brown hair and eyes, and I love purple, gold, and cobalt/navy eyeshadow colors. I love Chanel blushes, especially in the shade "Frivole", a lovely orange-y red. Temptalia's Swatch Gallery may be useful for you.

Unfortunately even MAC's NC15 foundations are too dark for me. Only Pro Longwear concealer in this shade matches me decently, but it's not yellow toned enough.
Last summer I've been using Bourjois Healthy Mix in the shade 51 Light Vanilla (not HM Serum, the Serum's palest shade is darker). It has a slight yellow undertone. It's the only drugstore foundation that matched my skin tone and didn't break me out. Now I'm obsessed with Skin79 Super Plus BB Cream in Vital Orange- it does not look very yellow but when I apply it it just adjusts to my skin tone! Right now it's my HG base product. Love the consistency, coverage and the finish. :heart:
A couple more foundations I purchased in the past:

Nars Sheer Glow in "Siberia", it's an extremely pale shade, I like to use it during winter when I'm at my palest. The shade "Gobi" is also yellow-toned and a bit darker. You may find swatches on this blog helpful.

Paul & Joe Light Cream Foundation S in the shade 00 Alabaster- it has a very sheer coverage, the shade can be compaded to "Siberia".

Guerlain Lingerie de Peaux in the shade 31- unfortunately it's almost impossible to find that particular shade, I think it's only targeted for Asian markets, I've ordered mine from Yesstyle, sometimes you can find it on ebay. Guerlain's foundations are rather dark and beige/pink, this shade is not. Here are some swatches.

Armani's Designer Lift in shade "03"- not really worth the price but definitely yellow-toned, you can find some swatches here.

Check out Face Atelier's Ultra Foundation in "Zero Minus" (lightens the foundation you foud too dark) and "Heat" (adds warmer tone to the foundation) if you are willing to blend shades to come up with the perfect one. :smile:

Melisande, I'm going to buy that MAC lipstick color you suggested! I definitely do what you suggested with lipstick and dab it on with my fingers, otherwise I look wayyyy to dramatic at work!

Question: what's tenderling?

Tenderling is a powder blush. It's a subtle matte dusty tan-peach. I think of it as the pale person's contour/bronzer.
Do try Dubonnet out at the counter if you can, it's not for everyone since it's rather dark, but dabbed on it could be for you. :heart:

Just found this blogger with pale skin also recommends Tenderling as her #1 choice; the page may be of interest to you as she gives other suggestions:
http://myeyeshadowconsultant.com/2012/02/28/top-5-mac-blushes-for-fair-skin/

BibiRose, thanks for all the information!!:flower: It sounds like your skin is much fairer than mine if NC15 is too dark for you, but this is all very useful to know.

Tenderling is a powder blush. It's a subtle matte dusty tan-peach. I think of it as the pale person's contour/bronzer.
Do try Dubonnet out at the counter if you can, it's not for everyone since it's rather dark, but dabbed on it could be for you. :heart:

Just found this blogger with pale skin also recommends Tenderling as her #1 choice; the page may be of interest to you as she gives other suggestions:
http://myeyeshadowconsultant.com/2012/02/28/top-5-mac-blushes-for-fair-skin/

BibiRose, thanks for all the information!!:flower: It sounds like your skin is much fairer than mine if NC15 is too dark for you, but this is all very useful to know.
Thanks SO much! I'm going to check out that blog. Have you heard of the actress Sarah Gadon? She's blonde and super pale- she inspires me to continue to embrace my pale skin, she's stunning and often chooses deep lipstick shades, esp berry and wine colors :heart:

My favorite foundation for my oily skin is Bare Escentuals bare minerals in fair. i also use the mineral veil with spf15. i try to avoid the sun at all costs because i very easily get freckled and these tiny red dots at times pop up. not so flattering.

anyway, i don't regularly wear any other makeup than the foundation and finishing powder, but when i did do a full face it consisted of:
mac charcoal brown eyeshadow (i have blue eyes)
mac flower mist dew blush, or mac gingerly (this is a straight up orange blush, makes me look a bit sunburnt but i still find it strangely flattering)
lipstick: MAC creme d'nude (PALE pale shade for a beige), creme cup (natural looking pink), or NARS barbarella (a pretty shade of orangey pink.
these colors and shades all work for my pale skin. unfortunately i hate to risk any breakouts due to the blush or else i would definitely wear it more.

andy warhol wrote in one of his books, "if you're really pale, just wear a lot of blush and no one will notice." :P

I have pale skin with a yellow undertone; dark brown hair and green-brown coloured eyes. Affected people would agree with my meaning, that it's really hard to find a good foundation for us. Usually pale foundation skintones tend to look kinda greyish, which is horrible.

Now i found the right brand/ skintone. First of all i use the Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation in shade 2.5 (warm sand) on the 'outer' areas of my face like alongside the hairline and outer parts of cheekbones. Then i use the Bobbi Brown Foundation Stick in one shade lighter, 2 (sand)! And use it for the inner face area. Blend it well with a fine Shiseido brush. The finish is super natural! Sometimes i apply some concealer, any cheap one (NYX HD Concealer CW04 Beige for example).

Lip Makeup: I spread Mac lipstick, shade Angel or YSL Rouge Volupte in 1 on the whole lip area and after this i put YSL tint in shade 15 on the inner lip area to create a blurry transition.

No eye makeup! Focus on lips! Very innocent, dreamy look. :flower::heart:

Can anyone recommend a concealer for very pale skin? I need it for spot concealment, not for hiding underbag eyes or anyhting like that.

My skin undertone is very neutral. I use Lancome teint miracle in 005 mixed with a little illamasqua white skin base to make my foundation. I really don't want to have to mix my own concealer every time I need it...

I am loose with the karma:flower:

^ I am not as pale as you so I can't give specific advice, but I really like Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer, and the lightest shade Chantilly looks really pale to me. The downside is of course that you can't buy Nars anywhere here, and even few places online will send Nars to Norway, for some incomprehensible reason.

I also think that my sister, who has Snowhite-like colouring with nearly black hair and very very pale skin, uses Maybelline Fit Me in the lightest shade...

^ Not sure if this brand is available where you live, but Kryolan's Camouflage Creme is a great stuff. The shade range is impressive too, there are like almost 60 different shades available, plus it lasts for ages- I can honestly recommend it.
If you prefer liquid formula, Nars's Radiant Creamy Concealer in the shade Chantilly may work for you.
I hope you'll find your perfect match. :smile:
Edit: Looks like I'm not the only person who recommends Nars's concealer. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->