Pens and Instruments

Discussion in 'Personal Style' started by Incroyable, Aug 14, 2004.

1. Incroyable

Incroyable New Member

Hello,

Does anyone spend large amounts of money on pens?

I just cannot bring myself to use ballpoint, roller ball pens. So I exclusively use fountain pens.

2. Meg

Meg inspired contemplation

why? I would only use fountain pens for business transactions. Personally I do not spend any money on pens. What is the point? They are so heavy my weak little hand can't hold it. Plus I like to chew on them. No fun chewing on a metal $700 pen.

3. Incroyable

Incroyable New Member

It's the same as in I really don't like digital cameras. If I had enough money I would get myself an entire set of Hasselblads.
    [​IMG]

And this Leica:
    [​IMG]

Although I don't chew on pens. :wink:

4. Dark Princess

Dark Princess New Member

No I never spend money on pens... I think I'm a pen magnet, I have a whole drawer full of them, have no idea how they got here... I guess im one of those annoying people who steal pens. :P :wacko:

5. strawberry daiquiri

strawberry daiquiri seagreen serenades

Then I think I'm one of those annoyed people who you steal them from. :P :wacko:
    I never even have one, let alone one that cost much.

6. Embrace88

Embrace88 New Member

Sometimes I spend lots of money on drawing pens or I get gifts, like calligraphy sets. You can get smooth writing pens that are cheap. Heavy, super expensive pens just aren't worth it to me. If I want a cool pen, I can buy some Krazy Glue and rhinestones and make it look cool.

7. Incroyable

Incroyable New Member

I just got an OMAS 360.
    [​IMG]

Usually the price has more to do with the stages of production. For example that pen has over 100 stages, and is hand assembled. It is completely ergonomic.

8. brian

brian New Member

:lol:

9. foxinthesnow

foxinthesnow Member

I use fountain pens, but we used them in school when I was younger. Although I just as frequently use an inexpensive parker fountain pen...

10. oceanharlot

oceanharlot stories everywhere

I only use fountain pens. I had TERRIBLE handwriting as a girl, so my teacher made me take handwriting classes instead of recess. We had to use fountain pens then, so I still do now, they feel better in my hand.

I use this gorgeous silver fountain pen that my grandmother gave me when I was 15. Its just the right weight and feel, not too light that you don't know its there, and not so heavy that your hand gets tired. I get refills everyonce in awhile and its all good.

11. saturnine

saturnine New Member

I love stationery, I could spend all day in an office supplies store. :heart:

12. PrinceOfCats

PrinceOfCats Naturellement pulpeuse

I write with my computer, I eat with my computer, I sleep with my computer!...No, not really - but I do write with it.

13. Miss Elaneous

Miss Elaneous New Member

me too! there's something about reams of paper and different sized envelopes and an array of coloured pens that make me go weak at the knees! :heart:

I love how fountain pens write, but they always leave my hands all blue and inky. :wacko:

14. FashionVixen

FashionVixen New Member

I'd never buy a nice pen. I'd lose it two minutes after I bought it.... or spill ink on myself.

15. Sephora_Socialite

Sephora_Socialite Fierce Flava

I have decent pens for school...inky ones I can't stand a ball point..

and I always have the oddest pencils..

I have a few expensive pens like a antique gold fountain pen and Tiffany&Co. pen...for formal occasions only..

Oh also...I have ostrich feather quills too...but those are to write letters to special people only in rare inks.

16. slinky_vagabond

slinky_vagabond New Member

My grandma gave me an engraved fountain pen for my birthday last year. I love the way it makes my handwriting look; and when you have an eight-year-old-boy-style scrawl like me, you don't often find yourself admiring your own penmanship.

17. hollyslookingdry

hollyslookingdry New Member

I just use cheap BIC pens. They do the job. Not that fancy looking usually, but I don't think anyone else really cares...

18. utopia

utopia ingenue

my grandmother gave me a rather expensive fountain pen a while back, but I never use it. I lose pens so easily (going from lecture to library to lecture, etc) that it wouldn't be good for me to have a pen that cost more than 3 or 4 pounds. I know a guy who only uses calligraphy pens to take notes in lectures with, and his writing is beautiful, but it seems a bit much just for everyday. :huh:

though, I do appreciate the idea of using nice pens. there's something a bit old-world and refined about it. -_-

19. fashionista-ta

fashionista-ta Well-Known Member

The pen I carry in my purse is a replacement one for the one that came with a mid-range wallet I bought some years ago & no longer have. It's fairly plain, brushed stainless steel ... it's narrow, unlike most of the fancy pens, which I find far too fat to hold & actually write with ... and it's not too heavy, I like that too.

20. Crying Diamonds

Crying Diamonds Geometric Discharge

If I had the money, I'd be spending it on pens and other such nick-nacks.

I have a green enamel fountain pen with a gold nib upstairs that I got for my birthday one year. I have always used a fountain pen to write - though I have none at the moment, as the nib of the last one broke. Sigh.

I got a grant of £50 to spend on art materials a few weeks ago. I spent about £40 of it on like six paint brushes. They're wonderful brushes, one or two are squirrel and one is sable. I love to draw, paint and write.