Pieces you love but never wear?

saann

I don't know
Reaction score
I occasionally buy something that I love so, so much but know I'm never going to wear outside my house. It's either because it's too over the top or too not my style. But I do love owning them, and trying them on every now and then.

Some of my items include a striped big sun hat, a fully sequined jacket and a few dresses. And a few sky high heels.

Also some dramatic fake feather lashes.

BTW sorry if a thread like this already exists, I didn't know what to search for, if there is please post the link and I'll merge!:flower:

^ hehe I do that with shorts, I just adore shorts! But I'm too self-concious to wear them outside. I just do that when it's colder and I can get away with wearing them with tights hee hee....

I have some shiny gunmetal coloured leggings, shiny to the extreme...I wore them once to a party and enjoyed it, but since then they have just been in a drawer. They are lovely but quite crazy and attract quite a bit of attention because they are out of the ordinary (especially for around here!)

This almost exclusively happens when I'm thrifting.. I have found some of my more treasured pieces there but I'm also a magnet to junk :lol:.. I always take a few extra pieces that I'm too naive to think I will just make work.. like 70s jackets/sweater, 70s dresses, menswear pieces that I "will adapt".. which of course never happens. And I don't know what's with 70s stuff, my style is everything but 70s-inspired. :lol:

I also have the bad habit of getting glittery/sequined stuff from Forever 21, I get so stupid with the prices, that must be it :lol:.. I have a couple of tops and a tank with the tags still on and a blue sequined sweater that looks so pretty on the hanger but really cheesy when you put it on.. I've tried wearing it with motorbike boots, with different layers but it just isn't happening.
And that reminds me I also have some cardigans and blouses from H&M that I never wear, same price effect as F21 I guess.. and same effect when wearing it too.. it just isn't me.

I have some really pretty dresses that I never wear...mostly because there's no occasion really. A wedding or some sort of formal get-together would be nice, but I'm either stuck at the hospital or at uni, and that's a bit OTT :lol: I've never been to a wedding, damn die-heart atheist friends and family!

I have some boots that look a great deal like the Acne pistol boots, but I haven't gotten around to wearing them yet :doh: Mostly because I never ever wear heels, but again...not really appropriate for the study hall :innocent:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's funny, I've always wanted a sequinned tank top...but now that I think about it...I'd probably only wear it for NYE if I'd wear it at all

^this happens to me, too, with buying vintage clothes. I have an amazing Jantzen bathing suit from the 40s that I could never picture wearing... and some dresses and skirts from the 30s/40s that are long and not very practical for everyday wear in 2011! :lol:

50s skirts. I bought it without trying and it kinda makes me look even shorter, so I never wear it!

I have no items in my closet that I will NEVER wear. Everything i never ever wear (any more) will be sold. I do have some pieces thoug, that I love but do not wear that often but it is often because they have so few styling possibilities and I tend to wear items that can be styled in tons of ways more, because I rarely wear the exact same outfit twice.

Yes!!!

It happens to me quite often with something that does not fit me properly but I still buy it because I m always overly optimistic about losing weight and getting super fit.
Example: Rick Owens tanks or tank dresses which require nothing less than a perfect body, clothes one size smaller than the one I am currently wearing because that s the last size left...

It is also the case for pieces of clothing that come in uncomfortable shapes or materials. They look so good when I try them on but then it is actually hard to decide to wear them outside because they are extremely uncomfortable or they prevent me from moving the way I would like to. Example: this Marni dress whose label states it's made 100% of cotton. It is cotton indeed but spryed with some plastic-like paint on the outside so when I wear it my skin can't breath and it's always either too warm or too cold (because of the shape it s very hard to find a jacket that fits over it) to wear it.

00630m.jpg

Photo from style.com

Still, I keep everything hoping for an unexpected improvement in my shape or for the perfect time to wear uncomfortable but awesome pieces of clothing. :lol:

Alexander Wang mesh dress.
I sold my soul to get this dress, and I haven't worn it out in public ... except this one time and everyone thought I was naked underneath. (There is a nude lining.)
Too many strange men were ogling at my general boob area for me to feel comfortable.

Hell yes. My Givenchy shoes that I've had for over a year and still has yet to be worn! I'm insane! I love them to death. Can't explain why I haven't worn them yet. Maybe if they weren't boots, I'd be wearing them daily.

31021628.jpg

my photo

So many great replies!

The boots are fabulous! I would call you crazy for not wearing them but that would kind of go against the point of this whole thread:P

Novecento - the dress is really nice but I know what you mean about the fabric, I hate feeling locked in my clothes.

As to not getting rid of the stuff I've never found an occasion for, I think the quote that would apply best is: Luck is what happens when opportunity meets preparation.

I'm prepared, I'm just waiting:ninja:

SLEVELESS THINGS. I find them so classy, but always change into a jacket or something with sleeves before leaving the house. It feels so bare!

Hilarious thread saann. I also tend to buy items that I love so much I don't wear them outside for fear of ruining them, shoes mostly.

I have a pair of Alaia heels that I've had for years and they have only seen the light of day once or twice because they are intricately beaded and I don't want to destroy them! It's not even the fact that they were expensive, it's literally that it would break my heart for them to get scuffed or for one of the bells to fall off. Manic, I know :lol:

This is so fun!

I've had this dress since I was in grade 9. It's from a Danish brand- Designers Remix Collection.
I saw it at a store in Montreal and fell horribly in love with it.

I've never worn it, except around the house ahaha.
But it's just so adorable, I can't get rid of it!

Excuse the mirror picture- I'm sticking to the grade 9 theme, apparently :wink:

Attachments

• Dress-On.jpg
    Dress-On.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Dress.jpg
    Dress.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited by a moderator:
^ your dress reminds me a little of this Zucca dress. It's lovely. You certainly don't find a light summer dress with such great pleats and in such a gorgeous color very often. :heart:

(I would probably wear it at least once every summer :lol:).

Oh yeah, I have articles of clothing which I never wore (as we speak). I like them but for whatever reasons I haven't gotten around to wearing them. I can't see myself giving up something that I like.

I love this thread! :lol: This is actually the case of 90% of my wardrobe... I'm only attracted to colorful, shiny or almost theatrical pieces (I own more fur jackets and crazy head pieces than let's say jeans and t-shirts...:ninja:). So I end up with a wardrobe full of things that don't go together...

But my favorite piece (never worn and hardly tried on...) is this Chloe by Phoebe Philo dress that I've loved since I first saw it on the runway :blush:. I "won" it on eBay and when I got it it was half a size to small; now it fits better but its hard to find an occasion where I can pull of that much cleevage... :unsure:

00380f.jpg

style.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->