Pierpaolo Piccioli - Designer

Socioeconomic background, and susceptibility to varying levels of sophistication in propaganda. If you're deep in ignorance/lack of education/poverty, it's very easy to convince you that the lack of jobs in your community, your low salary, limited or no access to healthcare, you name it, it's all the fault of 'foreign presence', aliens that came to take it all away from you. That's why you go after this specific group, gather them and nurture their sense of helplessness if you want them to vote for you. The strategy is a bit harder if you go up the ladder, to the middle class, where the blaming starts to fade because that would mean accepting defeat and nothing works better than presenting them with the horror of being any poorer, while simultaneously recognising the 'progress' that came from their brilliant, one-of-a-kind mind that left the less smart/poor behind and if only they continue on this right track, they can single-handedly create the conditions of the rich, and be rich. The middle class is full of people truly convinced that they ARE rich, that they are in a separate category than the rest for a variety of factors, sometimes just being that they know luxury, through objects of luxury, therefore they are familiar with wealth.

I agree with @blueorchid, I'm not sure it's so much entitlement as an awareness of social status and the possibility of climbing up that pyramid. Enter the insane marketing of these luxury brands, the way they study consumers, often identifying weak points (political tension, class/race dynamics) that make people 'relate' right away, and it would take a lot of resistance to remain immune, and not at least a little bit enticed.

The poor/middle classes have always been drawn to loud expressions of luxury and wealth (look at Versace in the 90s, or say, Burberry among chavs, or the typical attire of cartel members/football players/rappers) but that also grew exponentially because fashion's become so wildly corporate that there is no demographic they're too good for. If you have a wallet, you're good enough for LVMH and Kering, so can we blame consumers for engaging?
So many good points here, some among things I often think about. Like how some poorer people hate the poorer than them and how so many politicians/parties encourage this for the most dubious (or let's even say awful) reasons...

I'll to develop more my reply once my day is done but can already let you know how much I do agree with the last sentence. They'd do anything for anyone having enough of a wallet, pretending they do care and are inclusive and whatever of that kind.

Finally read this discussion and it made me sad/sucked the life outta me. Also what's so crazy/amazing (I guess really not at all tho) is that at first glance one (me) may wanna be like "ugh whatever that's frivolous stuff bags and champagne whatever", but you can tell how important this stuff actually is, as this idea of "luxury" that can be sold by preying on people's psyches, something that is not really a necessity at all like food, housing, water..., has made a man the wealthiest person on earth 😭😭😭😭 and wtf is the consequence of that? ... (Also I guess the growth of his wealth isn't solely selling LV bags and champagne but that is a big part of it)

Finally read this discussion and it made me sad/sucked the life outta me. Also what's so crazy/amazing (I guess really not at all tho) is that at first glance one (me) may wanna be like "ugh whatever that's frivolous stuff bags and champagne whatever", but you can tell how important this stuff actually is, as this idea of "luxury" that can be sold by preying on people's psyches, something that is not really a necessity at all like food, housing, water..., has made a man the wealthiest person on earth 😭😭😭😭 and wtf is the consequence of that? ... (Also I guess the growth of his wealth isn't solely selling LV bags and champagne but that is a big part of it)
Sure, he doesn't just sell LV bags and champagne bottles, he also owns some medias to get enough advertising space for it...

Not every one is cut to be a CD. Like MGC, he could not evolve himself, his design vocabulary and his direction enough for the brand. A good CD has to reinvent and innovate from time to time. You can’t keep coming up with the same schtick. As much as he has many successful designs, most of the best selling items are from his works with MGC.

Unlike Dior, Valentino was a prestige house but smaller brand. The beauty licensing was not as successful as they would have thought and Valentino perfume is as forgettable. His shoes, bags were not big hits. The Focus on clothing was not as viable because if you look at LV or Dior, they release all major seasonal collections and also different capsules. Not to mention the menswear. That’s an afterthought.

They need a vision that is not attached to mr. Valentino. They need to move forward

I don’t know if Mr Rucci’s post is a troll but I hope it is because it’s quite desperate, embarrassing and lacks in elegance…Which is something I don’t associate with his work as a designer. He did that with Demna and we laughed even if it was already cringy but here…

Anyway, I hope he knows that he wouldn’t survive in the current fashion landscape.

Maybe the executives at Valextra or Delvaux can call him to design a capsule RTW collection for them. His clothes would match their clientele.

The pettiness of him standing outside Valentino like this LOL!

WHOOPSEE IT

My god what is he wearing.
think that is from the EYE Junya Watanabe x Carhatt collection ss 24.

@yslforever I actually dont mind her, or anybody for that matter that uses something from the past, like her Celine bag though. We have been somewhat mindlessly chasing trends or desiring to use the `latest` for a while now. In fact, I think it is more cringy if she is seen using the Phoebe Philo latest bags although we know without a doubt they will be able to afford it so there isnt anything to prove per se......Whether it goes with what she is wearing, of course, is another conversation.

I don’t find anything wrong about their outfits…
Those are regular outfits that are not indicative of anything. And I love the Carhartt Junya jacket.
My thing is that it all looks a bit sloppy with the oversized jacket, the shopping bags and all…
Buying things your size is good sometimes PPP.

And about her old Celine…I’m still carrying my YSL by Pilati Besace bag from time to time or my classic box bag by Phoebe! So yes to old bags!

I don’t find anything wrong about their outfits…
Those are regular outfits that are not indicative of anything. And I love the Carhartt Junya jacket.
My thing is that it all looks a bit sloppy with the oversized jacket, the shopping bags and all…
Buying things your size is good sometimes PPP.

And about her old Celine…I’m still carrying my YSL by Pilati Besace bag from time to time or my classic box bag by Phoebe! So yes to old bags!
Oh yes to old bags (just don't become one) but tbh this one doesn't suit nor the outfit nor the vibe ... It looks randomly chosen, like all their outfit...

PPP reminds me of a walking ad guy:

Bienviendos_a_Doneraki%27s_-_Flickr_-_pinemikey.jpg

wikimedia

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Judy123
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->