Prada S/S 2009 Milan

loved how helmut.newton coined it- wierd with sexy! love it!!!

it brings to mind an image of a scientist working in a high tech lab- wearing crazy Prada/Miu Miu bodysuits and sky high heels underneath her lab coat.

seriously, i think that's Muccia's new Prada girl :wink:

In all fairness though, she usually is ahead of the pack. This just happens to be one example of her being on the same wavelength as everybody else instead of being so different from whatever else is going on that she is, in essence, ahead of everyone else because wherever she goes, legions of designers will follow.

I think maybe the standard she's held to is insanely high. For most other designers, were they to do bare midriffs and rumpled, worn looking fabrics they'd be right on track with where fashion is going. For Prada, it comes off as lazy.

I can't fault it for that though, because it's really stuff that she always comes back to, after all of the fairies, feathers and faux fur, she always ends up going back to the whole proper and ladylike/sexually frustrated and oddball dichotomy with weird fabrications and frumpy proportions. That's the real Prada.

i agree very much with all this Spike! :heart::flower:

as i was looking through this collection i was thrown off at first by the prints/ mid-driff tops but then after viewing the whole thing, i think that the essential spirit of Prada is very much there.

the thing about Prada is that however strange and hard to digest it first appears, all of Muccia's collections are very memorable and always influential. I also think that Muccia's strong vision comes through, and is always inherent in her collections. I find this "intellectual sexy" very appealing :woot:

After looking at some videos, I must say that the falls (poor girls), the most fun thing is no doubt the expression that almost every single model have.
"oh****goddon'tletmefallpleaseohmygod IhavetolooklikeamodelOHMYGODIDONTWANTTOFALL!!!"

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Some of the girls were crying by the time they got backstage, because the shoes hurt so much, and girls were falling over. I had a panic attack before I stepped out, I was shaking, I was so scared" - a model backstage after the Prada Show." (The Guardian, Sept. 26, 2008)

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Those poor models. I feel so bad for them, especially after hearing Muse_Views's quote from The Guardian. I actually liked this collection for different reasons...I did like the texture, if not the shape of most of the pieces that looked papery...and strangely, I liked the red, white, and black printed dress everyone seemed to hate.

I'm so puzzled by this collection. I cannot decide whether I like the idea behind it or the clothing itself. I see a sort of a mix of the Hitchcock heroine and 17th-18th century portrait fashion - two of my favourite things.

Yet, is this just crumpled fabric?

What I do know is that I don't like the snake-print garments at all. As for the models' makeup, hair-dos and the earrings, I love them for sure. But the clothes... I think I like them. Some of them look absolutely gorgeous and inspiring. I like the palette of browns and creamy colours and the feminine shapes. Some of the skirts actually remind me of the "padded hips" Alexander McQueen did for S/S 07, but in a less accented, softer way. The use of ribbons is great and I am already wondering how to wear a cardigan that is tied from the back... just beautiful.

Some of the shoes look good (odd how much adding a sock like that can change a shoe's look), but undoubtedly they don't work in real life at all.

I think I need a couple of weeks more to think about this collection before I know if I like it or not. Right now I really do love it, but perhaps, like many times with Prada, once I think it over and over again I will start finding major flaws in it. Miuccia Prada certainly confuses me almost every season!

Well here we go...I like it! hahaha
I usually disagree w all of you about Prada, and this time is no different
I like the sloopiness of the clothes...I like the unfinished hems
it's certainly clothes that will be editorials...

The shoes: I think the real problem is the sock inside...when you put a sock and a sandal your feet tends to slip a lil bit...I dont think the sandals are too high...I have a pair just as high...and actually in a party I fell twice hahaha, it was funny actually...the real problem are the socks believe me!

Good work miuccia, I love it

I normally really dislike Prada but I love this collection!
NellofDruryLane, the fabric is just crumpled, but it has metal fibers in it to to keep its shape, and so it can be kind of sculpted.
It reminds me a lot of Rochas, but more urban?

this is not the first time somebody almost got killed walking in prada shoes...

i don't think the beginning of the show was very well thought. If this is, as it seems, a very aqua themed collection brown was not the right tone for those first mermaids.
Then I don't find this collection very coherent, I do like some looks but most of it fades away from one outfit to another.
I don't like those hanging straps. I was expecting more from Prada since I got used to that esoteric atmosphere from the latest shows, this seems like Miuccia wants to go happy happy all of a sudden. I mean, look at those shoes. I think they're so disappointing, very cheap and as the models testify uncomfortable.
Still I don't think this is a bad collection overall. Prada never goes vulgar, and that's a good thing

nytimes

Hope this hasn't been posted already ...

MILAN — During fashion week, part of the drill for editors is attending so-called re-see appointments for an up-close inspection of the runway collections. Yesterday, T Magazine’s Milan team rolled up to the Prada command center, and soon we were holding the infamous superhigh platform sandals in our hands, the very ones responsible for Tuesday night’s parade of pratfalls that everybody is still talking about. What we discovered thanks to the easygoing P.R. girls is that the shoes didn’t act alone — it was likely the slippery black booties the models wore inside their sandals that ultimately did them in. The theory is that Miuccia’s high-fashion Peds, which close with a drawstring ribbon, were so silky that some models couldn’t keep their feet stable inside the shoes. (When you’re trying to walk in some of the highest heels out there, having butter feet doesn’t help the cause.) Bad news for personal injury lawyers: Prada is considering fusing the socks to the insoles to avoid further slip-ups when the shoes are produced commercially.

Jesus.
What the hell is Miucca trying to do? Kill one of the models to make her mediocre collection famous?
She needs to stop messing with people.
She's succeeded with the media so far, and no doubt countless people will buy these shoes.

I personally love those shoes. Respect to anybody who can wear them doing the shopping with the messed up socks.

Prada girls not only want to be FABULOUS OR GORGEOUS, but also want to be TOTALLY DIFFERENTLY SEXY....

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I'm the minority here, but I love this collection too.. Okay, not all of it, there are a couple of strange ones, (I don't get the little socks either!) but for the most part, the gorgeous play on the textures completely wins me over :heart: I love it especially on the lighter colored clothing (not so much on the golden tones). And the shoes.. as painful as they look/are :ninja:, I think they are beautiful as well.

But exoticism has been on display for so many seasons now. And really, midriffs popped up all over NYC. As did rumpled fabrics (Yigal Azrouel did it especially well!) So Miuccia isn't exactly breaking new ground here, and her whole legacy is cemented around the belief that she is supremely directional and seasons ahead of her peers. Instead, she recycles ideas (in the hem lengths and shoes and peek-a-boo "erotic" displays) of her own and otherwise merely underscores other trends we've noted thus far in Spring 2009. And the palette, in my opinion, is appalling. My jaw literally dropped when I saw those eye-wateringly gold, tattered foil-like dresses. I swear to you, if any American designer had the gaul to create those, every editor and critic would be merciless in their criticism.
Sadly, I'm sure Prada will reap the majority of credit if rumpled, paper mache textile themes, garish gold, and bare midriffs DO emerge as editorial or retail trends. She deserves the benefit of the doubt, but a lazy collection is a lazy collection.
that's too bad really
when i first saw it
i thought instantly of TAO of comme des garcons
or at least , any past collection by them...
and if paper-like , then definitely issey miyake *shock* !
- a/w 06

scanned by Avant_Garde
fr Vogue Sept 2006

& also there was a designer from milano .. has an S and G in her name
adorefaith posted her collections, from ss 08 i think and maybe earlier
sort of arte povera theme

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member