Gucci S/S 09 Milan

^^^ agree, it was severly lacking in buzz.

Everything was so badly executed. The music was so tacky, the make-up looked very kitsch, the hair was like second-rate Versace from the 90's and overall the whole show had this Malibu-Barbie-aesthetic.

What's worse is, that most of this you could find in stores already!!

:innocent:

A collection by Frida for Gucci is commercial.
In related news the sky is blue, dogs bark and I have the hots for Jeffrey Dean Morgan. :lol:

I'm not a Frida fan but knocking someone for the one thing they've managed to successfully do during their tenure seems a bit ludicrous. Not to mention the fact that her collections have always been commercial - always been knocked off by Zara and always been pointedly forgettable. That isn't news as much as it's simple fact. This almost reminds me of when people go to see a big summer popcorn flick and then complain that it has no substance - Frida's vision of Gucci is a commercial entity, not a boundary pushing fashion entity. Everyone knew what they were going to get the moment they sat down to watch the show.

ITA.

Most of it's not particularly groundbreaking, of course, but I have to say that, IMHO, the mid-to-late '70s colour combos are beautiful (although, I'm probably biased, as they're the kind of colours that suit me), the prints are fun (I quite like a bit of lighthearted kitsch, myself!) and the models' hair and make-up looks beautiful (which is, ultimately, how most women want to look, isn't it?).

We have to remember that the vast majority of women (i.e. those over 25), particularly those who buy RTW clothing on a regular basis, do not have any desire to be viewed as fashion victims and so do not feel the need, or desire, to completely overhaul their entire image every season; so, instead, tend to stick with a favourite look, or looks, that they feel really suit them and their lifestyles, for a few years at a time.

Therefore, most of the time, these women are in the market to add to their existing wardrobes, not to replace them entirely (particularly in these recessionary times).

I appreciate that the die-hard trendsetters may not like this fact (I probably wouldn't have liked it when I was a teenager, either) but, financially speaking, RTW designers are wise to cater to these women, as the faster fashion moves and the more confusingly directional it is, the more likely people are to view RTW fashion as a bad investment and to save their money by just buying the Zara version, or nothing at all.

As for saying that much of this collection looks like the stuff Zara already produces, or that they can produce very quickly, that may well be true, but I've spoken to a lot of women who buy designer clothing and accessories and the vast majority of them say that they are primarily paying for the quality of materials and make (both of which will, IRL, set these pieces apart from their high street/main street versions); not so much exclusivity of design (as they realise that most designs are/can be knocked off, anyway).

Also, I couldn't help but notice, in the past, that quite a few of the people who have tended to complain about commercial/non-directional collections have often been the same people who have said that they would never choose to buy RTW when they can buy the high street version. I can, therefore, only assume that when looking at RTW collections on here that these people are looking for an interesting new look that they hope will be knocked off? So, assuming that's correct, although they may well hold valid viewpoints, as non-customers (and in fact, as customers of the businesses that many RTW houses view as their commercial enemies!), it's not really in the design houses' commercial interests to take these members opinions too seriously, is it?

That's not to say for one minute that I, personally, want fashion to be entirely market-led and commercial, or that I don't miss Tom Ford, but, as I say, in tough times, I think it's safe to say that it undoubtedly does make commercial sense to give women what you know they already like/want.

The only thing I liked about this collection were the hats. The styling was ok, too bad the clothes were ugly.

can someone please tell me the soundtrack to their fashion show please? :D

^thanks for posting. I quite like the shoes on MariaCarla in the last pic but that's about it for the whole collection

the video is up on gucci.com, but there is only 1 song playing through out the show :innocent: I allways love Gucci S/S shows :buzz:

ITA.

Most of it's not particularly groundbreaking, of course, but I have to say that, IMHO, the mid-to-late '70s colour combos are beautiful (although, I'm probably biased, as they're the kind of colours that suit me), the prints are fun (I quite like a bit of lighthearted kitsch, myself!) and the models' hair and make-up looks beautiful (which is, ultimately, how most women want to look, isn't it?).

We have to remember that the vast majority of women (i.e. those over 25), particularly those who buy RTW clothing on a regular basis, do not have any desire to be viewed as fashion victims and so do not feel the need, or desire, to completely overhaul their entire image every season; so, instead, tend to stick with a favourite look, or looks, that they feel really suit them and their lifestyles, for a few years at a time.

Therefore, most of the time, these women are in the market to add to their existing wardrobes, not to replace them entirely (particularly in these recessionary times).

I appreciate that the die-hard trendsetters may not like this fact (I probably wouldn't have liked it when I was a teenager, either) but, financially speaking, RTW designers are wise to cater to these women, as the faster fashion moves and the more confusingly directional it is, the more likely people are to view RTW fashion as a bad investment and to save their money by just buying the Zara version, or nothing at all.

As for saying that much of this collection looks like the stuff Zara already produces, or that they can produce very quickly, that may well be true, but I've spoken to a lot of women who buy designer clothing and accessories and the vast majority of them say that they are primarily paying for the quality of materials and make (both of which will, IRL, set these pieces apart from their high street/main street versions); not so much exclusivity of design (as they realise that most designs are/can be knocked off, anyway).

Also, I couldn't help but notice, in the past, that quite a few of the people who have tended to complain about commercial/non-directional collections have often been the same people who have said that they would never choose to buy RTW when they can buy the high street version. I can, therefore, only assume that when looking at RTW collections on here that these people are looking for an interesting new look that they hope will be knocked off? So, assuming that's correct, although they may well hold valid viewpoints, as non-customers (and in fact, as customers of the businesses that many RTW houses view as their commercial enemies!), it's not really in the design houses' commercial interests to take these members opinions too seriously, is it?

That's not to say for one minute that I, personally, want fashion to be entirely market-led and commercial, or that I don't miss Tom Ford, but, as I say, in tough times, I think it's safe to say that it undoubtedly does make commercial sense to give women what you know they already like/want.

i totally agree in everything that you said! you totally spoke my mind. karma to u :flower:
it is not easy to please everybody and i think frida is doing a good job upholding her responsiblities. i really don't mind this collection even though it is not one of the most exciting collection of the season. then again, this season is particularly uninspiring imo. go frida!

I love the SS09 collection .. so colorful and we Malaysians love colorful stuff :smile:
Btw I can't wait to attend Gucci two-storey store launch in KL next Thursday :D

i love the 70s colors minus the prints and the clothes and frida lol

I think we can try to justify this collection all we want, from marketing or 'economic times' standpoint, but the truth of the matter is... this is GUCCI we are talking about. This is NOT a high-end designed collection no matter how you look at it.

In a weak economy I don't believe safety is the route. I think Cathy Horyn mentioned it, these clothes are not all that different from the zara knock offs that surely will be available. For the price point these clothes are at you need to give the customers a little more credit.

On the other hand, Gucci has never been a brand where their customers look to it for innovation. A "Gucci" woven label stitched in should do the job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->