Gucci S/S 09 Milan

Her first season for Gucci (Spring 2006) was the BEST.

It incorporated the classic accessories and made it fresh with the prints.

^^^i agree dior , her best was FW 2006 its been downhill since

Not sure if this was posted, but it looks like the critics aren't loving this after all

Critics Turned Off by Frida Giannini’s New Commercial Gucci Collection
9/25/08 at 3:57 PM Comment

Critics had plenty to say about designer Frida Giannini's spring 2009 Gucci collection. But most of it wasn't exactly favorable. They say her work looks like something on the racks of Zara and isn't trend-setting, and her runway show is just designed to sell, sell, sell. The Wall Street Journal notes that while designers like Balenciaga's Nicolas Ghesquière send models down the runway accessory-less in order to draw focus to the clothes, Frida didn't hesitate to throw a bag, necklace, and fedora on one girl alone. Also:

Many of the suits in the show — skinny pants cropped above the ankle with well-tailored jackets in vibrant greens and blues — could easily hit the shelves of Zara and H&M months before they get to Gucci’s boutiques. At first glance, there was nothing much about either the fabrics or silhouettes of the clothes that would make them stand out from fast-fashion imitators.

Cathy Horyn of the New York Times felt similarly:

Giannini has become an expert not so much in expressing an idea as packaging it … But where was the element of surprise? And apart from the updated Jackie bags and chunky stone bracelets, how luxurious was it? The olive and khaki safari dresses, with zips and drawstrings, were cute and well-executed. But are they a look you expect from Gucci, or Liz Claiborne? Are they even a Look?

And WWD put it this way:

Gucci looks are all over Zara. The argument that they seem more appropriate to such a venue than to the upper echelons of luxury fashion hasn’t put a damper on sales of the real thing … [T]hese clothes bore all the exotica of a piñata party in Portsmouth. That, however, might be their genius. Ample anecdotal evidence suggests that most people aren’t interested in stylistic risk-taking, while many fall into the antisobriety camp.

Interesting. We thought buyers were looking for extra-special clothes that are worth spending on in this economy. But maybe not?

http://nymag.com/daily/fashion/2008/09/critics_turned_off_by_frida_gi.html

I think it's a closed case

It does look cheap...
the make up...I cant even say a word

^^You're right...this is probably the collection to seal the deal....Frida is out.

I feel bad for her, but she's just not right here...

A collection by Frida for Gucci is commercial.
In related news the sky is blue, dogs bark and I have the hots for Jeffrey Dean Morgan. :lol:

I'm not a Frida fan but knocking someone for the one thing they've managed to successfully do during their tenure seems a bit ludicrous. Not to mention the fact that her collections have always been commercial - always been knocked off by Zara and always been pointedly forgettable. That isn't news as much as it's simple fact. This almost reminds me of when people go to see a big summer popcorn flick and then complain that it has no substance - Frida's vision of Gucci is a commercial entity, not a boundary pushing fashion entity. Everyone knew what they were going to get the moment they sat down to watch the show.

Not that I'm in love with any of this but if there are going to be complaints they should be about how wildly unflattering the cut of those pants are.

I really hate her "Frida " pants they are soo cheap and street looking

A collection by Frida for Gucci is commercial.
In related news the sky is blue, dogs bark and I have the hots for Jeffrey Dean Morgan. :lol:

I'm not a Frida fan but knocking someone for the one thing they've managed to successfully do during their tenure seems a bit ludicrous. Not to mention the fact that her collections have always been commercial - always been knocked off by Zara and always been pointedly forgettable. That isn't news as much as it's simple fact. This almost reminds me of when people go to see a big summer popcorn flick and then complain that it has no substance - Frida's vision of Gucci is a commercial entity, not a boundary pushing fashion entity. Everyone knew what they were going to get the moment they sat down to watch the show.

Not that I'm in love with any of this but if there are going to be complaints they should be about how wildly unflattering the cut of those pants are.

Well, that is the point...Gucci wasn't about being commercial in that way, if at all. She has taken it to the point where the clothes don't have any true identity anymore. Aside from perhaps the prints I wouldn't be able to identify the majority of these looks in a magazine. It would be something else if this was Frida Giannini for Frida Giannini and not Frida Giannini for Gucci.

that sh!t wouldn't sell without the Gucci logo. it's people who are all about the label and nothing else, who keep the sales going. they like it simply cause it's "Gucci".

other designer's clothes would sell for the piece of garment they create, not the tag.

Her first season for Gucci (Spring 2006) was the BEST.

It incorporated the classic accessories and made it fresh with the prints.

how was it "fresh"? seriously, by the time the 5th rendition of the same top comes down the runway, all hope is lost.

Thanks for that article!

The best part of the collection for me were the shoes. I think I've said enough.

Anna S looks amazing, as well as Natasha and Lily D
:buzz:

God, those pants really aren't flattering at all. Who needs that much roominess in the crotch for such a fitted leg?

MY FAVOURITE MILAN SHOW!
everything was perfect!

thanks for posting the videos

i hadn't time to look this month FW videos ....
and i kind of started with this one ..... but OMG !! Was the atmosphere on place really like in the 1st video ?!
I did totaly fall asleep .... it's boring to death. there's no energy at all. even a cosmicwonder mute show is more energic than this !!!!!
when you have nothing interesting to show Frida, just try to make it look spectacular, at least. for the well-being of your audience ! please !

the collection is bad. and sorry - emmanuelle alt if she's still doing it and i'm sure she is as the styling is SO similar to all the previous gucci shows - but the styling isn't enough to rescue it !
the colours are dead, the prints make me want to go the 1970s bathroom ...

i'm really angry at this SS09 season in general.
please Paris : make it happen !!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
todayfendi
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->