Preen F/W 09.10 New York

Does anyone know why they ever moved to NY? Everything changed from that point on.
money?. :unsure:
every London-based designer seems to move out for that reason. I wonder if NYC is a better option for them, though, cause so far, it's proved to be quite the barrier for them to get their point across.. Preen, Staerk, Walker.. they all dried out in ideas the moment they decided to go there.

incoherent indeed.
I'm bored by the skinny dress....

It's so weird. It has hints from loads of designers I think...Chloe, Balmain, Balenciaga, Versace, Chanel. I dont hate it though, I really like the leather piece on Catherine and the white dress on natasha. The colourful dresses are kinda boring. I dunno, its a hard collection to digest.

Hate to be one of those people but first thing came to mind when I saw those cut out mesh dress is Balenciaga Spring 2003 :heart::innocent:

style.com

Last edited by a moderator:
impressed, i like the patterns, the nude touches and of course the jackets look beautiful.

the rainbow dresses just scream Rodarte!
though other pieces look like they were lifted from A.Wang, but i kinda like this collection. very coherent..

I thought the last few dresses are kinda funny. It's like a animtion of their aesthetics.

Overall, the collection looks really Preen of course. With the plays of fabric placements over sheer. The fur pieces are kinda unexpected, but overall, a really strong collection.

i like the b&w pieces and even some of the more colorfulls too, but the shiny pants are just terrible!

money?. :unsure:
every London-based designer seems to move out for that reason. I wonder if NYC is a better option for them, though, cause so far, it's proved to be quite the barrier for them to get their point across.. Preen, Staerk, Walker.. they all dried out in ideas the moment they decided to go there.

have you noticed out of all the london to NY designers,boudicca has been the only one that's really never wavered their ideas? of course they do have amex behind them,supporting all of their ideas.

have you noticed out of all the london to NY designers,boudicca has been the only one that's really never wavered their ideas? of course they do have amex behind them,supporting all of their ideas.

They apparently stopped getting AMEX sponsorship, probably already by the time they started showing in Paris instead of New York.

Other than that, it's a pretty forgettable collection from Preen - they've done a lot better while they were still showing in London, what happened with their wonderfully deconstructed pieces? I know it doesn't make you a business to cut off vintage burberry trenches and create weird tops out of them, but I am feeling their recent design is looking more and more unpurposeful and fussy.

wow, what a fabulous collection!! that white dress on natasha is best.

i see. but they were funded by them when they created wode....so that must be relatively recent?

anyway,i agree about the recycled stuff thea and justin did. that was so the point of them at that time...how they could literally transform something like a classic trench,into something completely and extraordinarily designed. they had ideas and vision behind all of that and its really a shame they abandoned it because i always felt aside from margiela they were the most original.

I don't think I have read such mixed reviews until Preen this season.

i see. but they were funded by them when they created wode....so that must be relatively recent?

anyway,i agree about the recycled stuff thea and justin did. that was so the point of them at that time...how they could literally transform something like a classic trench,into something completely and extraordinarily designed. they had ideas and vision behind all of that and its really a shame they abandoned it because i always felt aside from margiela they were the most original.

don't forget wode's been in the making for nearly 7 years now - so it's even been in the planning stage before AMEX came along.

i guess the whole deconstructed, 'studied' thing had it's peak influence in london designers by the time they were still showing in london - think of how jens laugesen also changed for a more refined, couture-minded approach when he started showing again before he eventually closed down... or someone like hamish morrow who would stage fashion shows where models would walk through purple dye as a finishing process in front of the audience? it seems as if hussein chalayan is really the only one these days staying true to an honestly conceptual approach, the younger generation of (london) designers is merely playing with narratives - and really, i'm not seeing a lot of comparable, striking quality and originality when i look in the direction of people like meadham/kirchhoff, danielle scutt or a louise goldin.

^indeed. thank heavens for jean-pierre,yes? again,that's who this collection reminds me of,actually.

damn, what a let down. not to say it's not lovely looking, but for Preen? not up to their true potential, imo.

The leather pieces = WANT.

The patchwork/rainbow dresses remind me of a cross between Pucci and Balenciaga from a few seasons ago.
~T

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->