Project Runway

ignitioned32

Mannikin
Reaction score
Originally posted by Fashion Week Daily
"Project Runway" To Debut On Bravo This Fall
Reality TV series challenges young designers

Tuesday, May 25, 2004

So you didn’t win an award from Parson’s or F.I.T. this year. Get ready for “Project Runway,” a new reality television series project spearheaded by Bravo, Miramax Television and Elle magazine. “Project Runway” will be produced by Dan Cutforth and Jane Lipsitz of Magical Elves, previously the second season producers of “Project Greenlight.” Banana Republic, Cotton, Inc. and L’Oreal have signed on as inaugural sponsors.

The 10-week series, which will premiere on Bravo this fall, follows 12 up and coming designers as they compete on weekly challenges. Much like “American Idol” or “America’s Next Top Model,” one contestant will be cut each week until only three remain to compete for a showing at New York fashion week in February 2005. Elle’s publication editor Gilles Bensimon will photograph the winner’s collection.

Supermodel Heidi Klum will head the panel of designers, fashion editors, photographers and stylists who will judge the creations. Though no specific judges have been selected, a Bravo rep tells The Daily that they’ll be “tops in their respective industries.” In addition, Klum’s management team, Full Picture’s Desiree Gruber and Jane Ca, will help produce the series. The casting call will begin on June 15 in Los Angeles and travel to Chicago (June 19), New York (June 21 and 22), and Miami (June 25). For more information, visit www.bravotv.com.

Opinions?

a model judging designers?
OMG! Have you seen what some models wear backstage?
I want to see who'll be the rest of the jury before making any comments .. there's got to be
*a photographer
*a designer
*a stylist
that must be thrown in the mix ... I guess they had Ms Klum to front for "image".

i agree with blu..
in general i'm not a reality-tv fan,
i wouldnt watch this even if i could :innocent:

still i think it may give a good chance to new designers
getting some exposure.
for fashion followers or designers to be it will
give a taste of designer's everyday reality :ninja:

Unlike America's Next Top Model, post-show legitimacy in the industry could very well be attained as a result of this program. For a variety of reasons ANTP contestants didn't reflect high fashion and that was a severely limiting factor. Designers--particulary up and comers--don't share these constraints. I think it could work.

As for a model being one of the judges, I buy that. Wasn't there a thread floating around on tFS a few months ago about an upcoming series of ads for a store showing models stying themselves? One of the supporting views was that they as a group are exposed to more designer clothing than anyone else so they are in a position to see what's out there.

Because it is a contest, it reeks of reality tv but I hope Bravo pushes for somewhat of a documentary feel to raise it beyond the cheap, watered-down feel of ANTM.

Originally posted by Atelier@May 27th, 2004 - 9:32 am
Because it is a contest, it reeks of reality tv but I hope Bravo pushes for somewhat of a documentary feel to raise it beyond the cheap, watered-down feel of ANTM.
ditto this.

I'm a bit worried of the kind of 'eyes' these judges will have. Will they really pick someone who is of genuine talent or some Marc Jacobs trendy wannabe?

i think this show will be fun to watch, but Atelier on the post-show legitimacy thing...kind of like American Idol too...which i think has become a joke now...maybe was from the beginning.

Originally posted by Scott@May 27th, 2004 - 10:57 am
I'm a bit worried of the kind of 'eyes' these judges will have. Will they really pick someone who is of genuine talent or some Marc Jacobs trendy wannabe?
An MJ wannabe has mass appeal ... if there's one, I bet my pants that designer will win. It's all about the audience, and most people wouldn't choose Kawakubo-type of clothing over Jacobs/Vuitton.

:sick: :sick: no more reality tv PLEASE. it ruins the beauty of everything in my opinion. like love, being successful, fashion, etc.

From today's WWD.

THE APPRENTICES: Because all the world needs is more fashion drama…Miramax Television’s “Project Runway,” the latest reality show to hit the airwaves (premiering on Bravo November 30) will explore the behind-the-seams life of 12 aspiring designers. Auditions were held Monday in Los Angeles at the Downtown Standard (where Sue Wong was among the judges), and will be held June 19 in Chicago at the Renaissance Hotel, June 21 and 22 in New York at the SoHo Grand (where Marc Bouwer will judge) and June 25 in Miami at the Fountainbleau (where Esteban Cortezar will judge). The contest is open to aspiring designers 21 or older who are required to arrive with a portfolio of at least five looks, photographs of five looks, and two or more samples. A dozen finalists will be invited to New York to live and work together in a loft (can you say “‘The Apprentice’ Gone Wild?”) and compete in various challenges for five weeks. Heidi Klum, Michael Kors and Constance White are the first judges on board, and the final three contestants will receive the prize of showcasing their collections at Bryant Park during New York Fashion Week. One winner also will get a Gilles Bensimon spread in Elle. Klum, who calls herself the show’s “cheerleader” said, “Nowadays, designers have to have not only talent, but camera-friendly personalities. It’s not like the days when Azzedine Alaïa would make beautiful clothes but nobody knew what he looked like.” But, she added, “it’s not just for attractive 19-to 25-year-olds. It’s for everyone who has that passion.”

Originally posted by Lena+May 28th, 2004 - 12:16 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lena @ May 28th, 2004 - 12:16 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-softgrey@May 28th, 2004 - 6:13 pm
:o ...i wanna be a judge!!!... :P
:woot: go softgrey GO :wink: :P [/b][/quote]
i actually did some checking ...but all the judges had been selected already...some political thing with elle mag...too bad... :lol:

Well, If softie wasn't tipped on the shoulder, then we should tell Ale (there's an audition in MIA) :wink:
I mean, puh-lease, like the camera wouldnt love Alejandro! :woot:

Am I the only one that stayed up late watching this? They had to use materials from the grocery store to make evening wear. Some horrible, some really creative. well- M. Kors., Patricia Fields (SATC), and the editor from Elle are judges.

absolutely stupid show, they kick off the msot talented one. :rolleyes:

michel kors :sick:

oh...i missed it...what channel is it on?...and when?...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->