Raf Simons Named Chief Creative Officer of Calvin Klein

they seriously over estimated raf's skills; he's never been a commercial success, at any of the companies he's worked for. his own brand has had so much hype in the past decade yet it's still very small, how is that even possible?

them thinking he would boost calvin klein's sales shows that there's some incompetence in the PVH boardroom as well.

it's embarrassing how this has played out for everyone involved, is anyone still going to hire raf after this? who is he going to blame this time?

I’m not even sure if a designer should have complete control over everything. Shouldn’t it be more about a group of people that all work for the same vision , albeit in their respective fields ?
In Raf’s case , he’s good at conceptual and serious, a northern european take on streetwear . That might have been a valid idea to give meaning to the main line at Calvin Klein , to create content and conversation. But it has nothing to do with the easy and sexy denim and underwear, which is ( correct me if i’m wrong) about youth, fun and good times. It’s not about tortured and arty references of what is wrong in America .
His collection for CK would have made fascinating and baffling in his own name , shown in a wasteland somewhere in Paris .. in NY, under the CK name they just make no sense .

I personally believe that when a brand is too big, there’s no need for a designer to be involved in everything but it’s a matter of ego.
When the structure of a brand is strong and defined (Chanel, Vuitton, Hermès), there’s no need for the designer to be involved in everything because he knows that the brand is bigger than him.

The reality is that when the work of a designer is strong and directional, it can have a positive impact on the brand. At Hermès, Margiela and Gaultier had total creative freedom, were mostly used as consultant for things like campaigns but their eras were the most directional ever for the brand.

The same at Chanel. Karl has never been involved with the perfumes and joaillerie. He is used as a consultant for those things...

I think that Raf wanted to prove something by taking this position. JS was about proving that he can do womenswear, Dior was about being this superstar designer...A boost of ego and CK is about proving that he can lead a megabrand like the kind of designers he is generally associated with.

From his first season I said that he would have been better at Helmut Lang. His vision of America is very « Helmut Lang showing at NYFW »...

it's embarrassing how this has played out for everyone involved, is anyone still going to hire raf after this? who is he going to blame this time?

That's a very important question. There's no doubt that he failed at Dior - as much as he wants to make it about not having enough control or being under too much pressure - his vision for the brand wasn't successful enough, and he is failing again at Calvin Klein. You cannot spin this anymore.

could someone who has access to wwd post this article?

PVH Outlines Calvin Klein Overhaul

Here's the article in full for anyone who hasn't read it:

Raf Simons’ high-concept overhaul of CK Jeans was a “fashion miss.”

And investments in his runway collection, dubbed 205W39NYC, will be cut as marketing budgets shift to influencers and more approachable messaging.

That’s the word from chairman and chief executive officer Emanuel Chirico of PVH Corp., which has owned Calvin Klein since 2002, as he laid bare his “disappointment” in its third quarter performance during a call with investors Friday morning.

He assured Wall Street that he’s taking swift action to correct the brand direction, which the Belgian designer skewed too fashion forward and too expensive for its core consumer since he took over the helm as chief creative officer in 2016.

“For holiday 2018 we are shifting more of our media spend from halo marketing to more commercial digital and social media advertising,” said Chirico. “We have upped the frequency of our posts on social platforms like Instagram and we are increasingly using micro influencers and hosting local activation to drive meaningful engagement particularly with Millennials and Gen Z. These changes are just the beginning of what you will see as we head into 2019.”

PVH’s move to shift the marketing strategy comes after WWD reported earlier this week that sources indicate Calvin Klein might be making a change in its photographers, hiring Glen Luchford to photograph the spring campaign, rather than Willy Vanderperre, who has worked closely with Simons since he joined the brand.

Chirico’s negative take on Simons’ tenure marks an about turn from as recently as May when he told investors: “We couldn't be happier with Raf's contributions to the brand and how it's really benefited not just the 205 business, but clearly has benefited what's gone on in our jeans and underwear business, in particular, where we've put a real focus on the marketing investment. As you go into spring, but really into fall 2018, you're going to see that black thread that starts with the 205 collection. You're really going to see that carry through our jeans, our sportswear and even our underwear business."

The troubles at the brand raise questions over Simons’ future at Calvin Klein given that his contract is up for renewal in August. He currently has direct oversight of the underperforming 205W39NYC collection and jeans, as well as a raft of other categories, global marketing and communications, visual creative services and store design.
Michael Binnetti, a retail analyst at Credit Suisse, said: “I think the kind of product that they put out that didn’t work seems like the kind of product that he is really enthusiastic about. It might be a little bit out there and a little bit too fashion forward for the true core Calvin Klein premium customer.”

He added that if the designer is unwilling to change some of the products, “he might be better off elsewhere.”

When asked if he thinks Simons will stay on after August, Steven Marotta, analyst at CL King & Associates, said he had “no reason to believe otherwise.”

Diving into the detail of what went wrong on Calvin Klein Jeans, which makes up about 16 percent of its business, Chirico explained that some elements of the relaunch were “too elevated and too fashion-forward for our core consumer.” That resulted in earlier and deeper markdowns than previously planned.

“From a product perspective we went too far, too fast on both fashion and price,” he said. “We’re working on fixing this fashion miss and we believe that our CK Jeans offering will be much more commercial and fashion-right beginning in 2019 especially for the fall 2019 season.”

His mission going forward is “to get back to what is Calvin and the core DNA of the brand”, adjusting the spring buys, while for next fall the product has been “completely reengineered.”

As for the 205W39NYC collection, PVH has invested between $60 million and $70 million in it, but has not seen returns that it had hoped for.

“We don’t think that we’re getting the full payback on some of those investments,” he said. “We’re taking a really hard look on the planned investment spending that we had as we look into 2019 and taking a hard look at that and whether those are necessary.”
Chirico told investors to watch gross margins going forward.

“On a personal level, for me, this is a credibility issue,” he said. “And I really feel strongly about what needs to be done and the actions that need to be taken as we go forward. So we will reposition the expense structure.”

The disconnect between spending and sales was clear to see in Calvin Klein numbers for the third quarter. Earnings before interest and taxes decreased to $121 million from $142 million a year earlier, which the company said was “primarily attributable to an approximately $10 million increase in creative and marketing expenditures compared to the prior-year period.”

The firm also cited gross margin pressure, principally due to more promotional selling in the Calvin Klein Jeans business, particularly in North America.

PVH revenues increased 2 percent to $963 million over the year. Within that, Calvin Klein International revenue rose 3 percent, while North America revenue edged up just 1 percent to $481 million, as growth in the wholesale business was partially offset by a 2 percent comparable-store sales decline.

Nevertheless, analysts were generally bullish that PVH could turn Calvin Klein’s fortunes around.

Alex Arnold of Odeon Capital said, “They’ve recognized and acknowledged where they have to make changes and they’re being very proactive about it."

Binnetti added: “If it was another company that wasn’t as good at this I’d be more worried but I give them the benefit of the doubt that they’ll be able to fix this."

As for the ongoing trade war between the U.S. and China, which may take another twist this weekend as the heads of the two superpowers meet at the G20 leaders summit in Buenos Aires, Chirico said he’s concerned about the impact it could have on “two great American brands” like Calvin Klein and Tommy Hilfiger if the situation worsens and anti-American sentiment rises.

PVH’s stock price took an dip right after it released results Thursday afternoon, but the price was up 0.1 percent at $109.94 in midday trading Friday."
wwd.com

Well, well...

giphy.gif

giphy

WWD is going to milk this story for all its worth now, lol.

Michael Binnetti, a retail analyst at Credit Suisse, said: “I think the kind of product that they put out that didn’t work seems like the kind of product that he is really enthusiastic about. It might be a little bit out there and a little bit too fashion forward for the true core Calvin Klein premium customer. He added that if the designer is unwilling to change some of the products, “he might be better off elsewhere.”

This is how the suits reason. That's why I was surprised as well that after his experience at Dior, he went for such a corporate house like Calvin Klein with so much red tape. He should've appealed to Madame Wang before her hand got forced to sell. In fact, that's not a bad idea when you think of it.

What I didn't knew was that his Jil Sander collections didn't sell. It must've been the marketing strategy because the aesthetic wasn't too far off from Burberry, and they sold like hotcakes at the time. I think Jil Sander in general comes with it's own set of issues. A brand where the CDs are being changed like underwear? Doubt people would remain loyal to it. Jil Sander should've been sold to the Americans before it landed in the hands of Prada, who never really bothered to invest or further it properly yet expected returns.

I think it was a success at the begining because there was hype around it. But he hasn't have evolved at all. Everything looks the same. And then you see product development, all the lines offer the same designs. At some point there is no reason to care about it. Also his accessories are not as strong. There was the hype but the collections didn't live up to it and eventually the momentum was gone.

I think he is good as a cult thing, instead of pop thing. He's really good at Jil Sander because he never tried to be the star or a very mainstream designer. People appreciated his aesthetic, and he refined the collection to the right direction for the wow effect. In Calvin Klein, he wants to be Hedi, he wants to be relevant with the cool gang, that's how he's trying too hard.
I don't know if my words make any sense, but that's just my feeling...

I think Raf needs to stop running with the big leagues and start focusing on what made his namesake line so interesting and exciting. Now that menswear has grown stronger over the last few seasons, this is a great opportunity for him to cash on the millenials and get some gnarly *yes, I said gnarly* Street clothes out there and do some collaborations in the mid! Enough of this big brand BS!

I think the main problem here is that Raf has no idea who he’s designing for. He’s had certain obsessions that he applies to every Collection he works on, like youth, the 80s, art , post punk , and while this has worked in his own collection it has made little to no sense at Dior or here . Jil Sander was an exception but that might have been because he had a different kind of team , and because it was his first Job he might have been more humble and less sure of himself. Jil Sander had some beautiful clothes , something was to a certain degree missing at Dior and is completely missing at CK.

So it seems their absence in magazines may have been a pre-emptive strategy to halt print campaigns altogether.

Calvin Klein Says Sayonara to Print Ads

Calvin Klein will exit print in February and focus on a digital-first media strategy.

By Lisa Lockwood on December 4, 2018

So long print. Magazine publishers have been informed that Calvin Klein will take a new “consumer-centric” marketing strategy that will see the brand shift to a “digital-first, socially amplified model, with video the preferred format.

“We will be exiting pure print advertising effective February 2019,” said a Calvin Klein note seen by WWD. The correspondence further stated that all future partnerships will be led by digital content and “we will only consider print pages as a complement to these programs.”

A spokesman for Calvin Klein Inc. didn’t respond to an e-mail seeking comment.

Last week, Emanuel Chirico, chairman and chief executive officer of PVH Corp., described disappointing results for Calvin Klein Jeans and Calvin Klein 205W39NYC collection on a third-quarter earnings call, and said that going forward, the company would seek to make both these lines more commercial, and shift to a digital media buy.

WWD also reported that chief creative officer Raf Simons’ role could be in jeopardy as the designer is in the midst of difficult contract negotiations.

Elaborating on results, Chirico explained that the marketing campaigns had been “too skewed” toward the company’s higher-end 205W39NYC line and the high-fashion consumer, and investments would be redeployed.

“Further, we will focus on driving a digital-first approach to the brand. Importantly, marketing is one of the faster levers that we can address. For holiday 2018, we are shifting more of our media spend from halo marketing to more commercial, digital and social media advertising,” Chirico said.

In addition, the company plans to update the frequency of its Calvin Klein posts on social platforms like Instagram, and they will be increasingly using micro influencers and hosting local activation to drive engagement, particularly with Millennials and Gen Z.

As reported, WWD learned that Glen Luchford would be shooting the spring ad campaigns, replacing Raf Simons’ longtime collaborator Willy Vanderperre. Klein’s ad campaigns have been shot by Vanderperre since Simons’ arrival. The fall 2018 campaign, for example, was shot on a rugged and remote landscape in Utah. The spring 2018 campaign featured more than 20 models shot in and around a weathered barn. The models carried totemic objects created by Simons’ collaborator, artist Sterling Ruby.

Kim Vernon, president of Vernon Co., a brand consultancy, and a former executive vice president, chief marketing officer of Calvin Klein Inc., shared her opinion on Calvin Klein exiting print.

“The way forward is not to be print heavy and print dependent. I think at this stage, there is still some relevance in some print. There are titles in the market that warrant keeping a presence there, albeit the ratio of print to digital should be dramatically changing. You need some element of higher-end print for certain generations that you might not have for Millennials and Gen Z. In the designer world, there’s still a good amount of high net worth population that shops designer. Why leave them behind?” Vernon said.

WWD.com

20 models on a campaign...
That’s insane. Add to that all of the Calvin Klein campaigns all together...A mess.
Maybe they should jump on the « buying magazines covers » bandwagon because leaving print is a bit of a stretch to me. A high fashion campaign needs to have a multi media exposure nowadays.

So according to their licensee (called franchisee in the UK), it seems North American sales are fine. But one must bear in mind that these sales are within G-III's reach, which is still not an entirely accurate picture of the brand as a whole.

G-III Apparel Group Q3 growth fueled by wholesale

Daphne Howland
@daphnehowland
Dec. 6, 2018

Dive Brief:
  • G-III Apparel Group, (whose owned brands include DKNY, Donna Karan, Vilebrequin, Andrew Marc and Marc New York, among others, and whose fashion licenses include Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger, Karl Lagerfeld Paris, Kenneth Cole, Cole Haan, Guess?, Vince Camuto, Levi's and Dockers) on Thursday reported that third-quarter net sales rose 4.7% to $1.07 billion from $1.02 billion in the year-ago period, missing Wall Street's expectations of $1.08 billion.

• The conglomerate, which designs, sources and markets apparel and accessories under various owned and licensed brands as well as private labels, also reported that net income in the quarter rose to $94 million from $81.6 million a year ago, according to a company press release.

• The company raised its full fiscal year guidance as a result of its better-than-expected third quarter results. For the period, which concludes next month, G-III now expects net sales of approximately $3.08 billion (up from its previous guidance of $3.06 billion) and net income between $132 million and $137 million (up from its previous guidance of between $125 million and $130 million).
Dive Insight:
During a conference call with analysts, CEO Morris Goldfarb on Thursday emphasized the company's diverse portfolio, saying that its Karl Lagerfeld Paris brand and Tommy Hilfiger brands have strong runway for growth and that its Calvin Klein brand, with the help of partner PVH, continues to resonate with North American consumers.

Its wholesale business is especially strong and was responsible for all of the quarter's growth, he also said, adding that DKNY and Donna Karan items, previously exclusive to Macy's, will expand into more department stores. The company acquired that brand from French conglomerate LVMH two years ago for $650 million. "We've achieved what we committed to with Macy's," he said. "In many discussions with Macy's we mutually agreed an exclusive brand sometimes doesn't need to be. The greater exposure and appropriate distribution [helps] Macy's."

Straight retail sales are struggling, though, and the company is working with landlords to shutter more underperforming doors, according to Goldfarb. "Clearly retail has not performed, it's not a secret," he told analysts. "Quite honestly we're on it, it's not moving as fast as we'd like … [but] we will cure it."

Goldfarb addressed the impact of tariffs, saying the company is working to further diversify its sourcing to countries outside China. Much of the company's handbag and leather outerwear is sourced there, a "much smaller part of our business" representing 7% of net sales, and tariffs will have minimal impact on financial results, he said. "We've built G-III to be a very entrepreneurial and nimble company" able to respond to such headwinds.

According to recent report from Coresight Research, "G-III Apparel Group has the most substantial exposure to China of all the apparel companies" analyzed, with 65% of its products sourced from China, down from 78% in fiscal year 2016.

Retaildive.com

Raf Simons and Calvin Klein: What Went Wrong?
PVH gave Simons the keys to the kingdom. Now the relationship is crumbling.

It was a precarious setup from the beginning.

In 2016, Raf Simons — the Belgian designer as well known for his own cult menswear label as he is for memorable stints designing womenswear at both Jil Sander and Dior — joined Calvin Klein and was given complete creative control over the multi-tiered, multi-billion-dollar brand best known for its fragrance, underwear and provocative marketing.

In his three-year contract, Simons was given the keys to the kingdom: a salary reported to be as high as $18 million a year, as well as the lofty title of chief creative officer, overseeing all aspects of marketing and design, from denim sold at Macy’s to upscale furniture.

This kind of control was something Simons never had at Dior, something that was a source of frustration during his time there. But Simons had no experience with mass marketing, and mass marketing is the lifeblood of the Calvin Klein business.

Giving Simons full control came with significant risk, especially as the Calvin Klein business was relatively healthy upon his arrival. In 2016, the brand generated $3.1 billion in sales, up 7 percent from a year earlier, with earnings before interest and taxes of $483 million.

But the management at PVH, Calvin Klein's owners, saw competing businesses like Ralph Lauren stagnating because of lack of creative innovation, while European stalwarts like Gucci soared after radical overhauls. Gucci chief executive Marco Bizzarri had figured out how to commercialise Alessandro Michele’s vision by giving him a seat at the decision-making table. The idea was that Calvin Klein chief executive Steve Shiffman, supported by PVH chief executive Emanuel Chirico, would do the same for Simons.

The relationship between Simons and PVH started as a lovefest.

The first advertising campaign for the ready-to-wear collection, renamed 205W39NYC, received mixed feedback. Shot by longtime collaborator Willy Vanderperre, it was arty and bloodless; far from the sexualised minimalism for which the brand was so well known.

And yet, the clothes had punch: those satin cowboy shirts and Helmut Lang-inspired jeans, shown underneath stringy Sterling Ruby installations, were lauded by critics and the wider industry, earning Simons multiple awards from the Council of Fashion Designers of America. It was a defined, directional look that inspired others. Simons’ American horror story — a charged commentary on the United States of Donald Trump — instantly earned itself a place in American fashion history.

Simons was clearly committed to the cause of Calvin Klein. He wanted it to work at a mass level, visiting with Macy’s executives and hiring the Kardashian family to pose for underwear and denim advertisements when the company expressed the desire to repeat the success of its Justin Bieber #MyCalvins campaign, which combined traditional imagery with user-generated content.

Meanwhile, PVH was hard at work, amping up sales of the 205W39NYC ready-to-wear collection, in an effort to generate a quick return on their investment. In the first season alone, doors jumped from 30 to 300. Typically, a new, high-concept collection like this would be sold under very tight, exclusive distribution, but PVH believed Simons could turn Calvin Klein's high-end ready-to-wear business from a marketing expense into a money-maker.

But that’s where things started to go wrong. While Chirico was praising Simons’ efforts in earnings calls, sales of 205W39NYC failed to take off. Aside from over-distribution, the main issue, according to sources at Calvin Klein, was that PVH was not geared up to produce high-apparel and accessories.

The first collection hit stores late and the fit was off from the beginning, resulting in a high return rate, according to multiple retailers. One source indicated that production issues also plagued previous creative director Francisco Costa. PVH, after all, specialises in mass-produced goods, largely manufactured through licensing deals. (Tommy Hilfiger, its other big brand, does not produce clothing at high-end prices.)

Another challenge was the structure of the company. The business is run regionally, creating bottlenecks when implementing global strategies.

Of course, none of this really mattered when Costa was designing womenswear and Italo Zucchelli was designing menswear, because the marketing department was running the show. Former chief marketing officer Melisa Goldie, who resigned in November 2016, just three months after Simons’ arrival, had great success during her time at the brand. She and her team had long controlled the image of Calvin Klein but her legacy was uprooted by Simons.

Efforts to hire outside agencies to supplant Goldie were unsuccessful. While Simons, who does not use social media — “he doesn’t even lurk,” said one source who worked with him at Calvin Klein — had tapped the Kardashians, the campaign was not as successful as Bieber’s, which was executed before Simons' arrival.

And yet, as recent as March 2018, Chirico was singing the designer's praises. Calvin Klein revenue in the three months ending February 4, 2018 jumped 23 percent to $977 million, while earnings rose to $79 million from $69 million in the same period last year.

“We are starting to connect, now, the singular thread that starts at the top of the pyramid with our [205W39NYC] collection and drives all the way down through our jeans and underwear business,” he told BoF, adding that the jeans segment grew more than 20 percent in the quarter from a year earlier. “The credibility that comes with having the 205W39NYC product prominently visible to the consumer — we have underestimated the benefit that comes with that.”

But over the past nine months, PVH became increasingly frustrated by the amount of money being sunk into the 205W39NYC collection, from the image-making to the runway shows. At the same time, Simons became increasingly frustrated by the resources being taken away from him, according to one source familiar with the business. (A representative for Simons did not respond to a request for comment.)

In September, a runway concept that required Simons to show off-site (recent catwalks have been held on the ground floor of the company's headquarters) was scrapped because of budget constraints. Then, according to multiple sources, PVH expressed concerns that Calvin Klein’s extensive partnership with the Andy Warhol Foundation — which included merchandise — was too arty and high-brow for a mass audience, even though Warhol is one of the most famous artists of all time.

Earlier this year, in the hopes of remedying the problems with the brand's marketing, PVH brought in L’Oréal veteran Marie Gulin-Merle to be Calvin Klein’s new chief marketing officer. Simons was hopeful, according to a source, that Gulin-Merle would be the operator that he needed.

But Gulin-Merle reports to Steve Shiffman, not Simons. And suddenly Gulin-Merle assumed more control over casting and communication. For instance, the company recently hired photographer Glen Luchford, known as of late for his work with Gucci, to shoot its Spring/Summer 2019 campaign, replacing Vanderperre.

One need look no further than Instagram to see that Simons’ vision is being erased from Calvin Klein, as user-generated content floods the account. Meanwhile, fast-fashion brands like Zara, which competes directly on price with the Calvin Klein product that is sold at Macy’s, are capitalising on Simons’ ideas, selling a Jaws sweatshirt inspired by his Spring/Summer 2019 runway collection for just $50.

According to reports, Gulin-Merle also made the bold move of shifting the brand’s entire advertising budget to digital for the spring quarter, indicating that high-touch, high-concept magazines are not important to her marketing strategy.

Essentially, Simons has been boxed out from the work he was brought on to do. His contract is up in August 2019, but a couple of months ago he was pushed to re-sign, according to a source familiar with the business. He held off, not only because of how early it was in the cycle, but also because he felt that arrangements stipulated in his original contract related to responsibilities and reporting lines, including control over marketing, were not honoured.

PVH did not respond directly to Simons’ discontent, according to the same source. Instead the company chose to call out Calvin Klein's troubles on its third-quarter earnings call last week, when it was announced that the brand had missed sales projections, up only 2 percent, with earnings before tax and interest down 15 percent.

“We’ve been disappointed that our investments in the 205 collection business have not delivered the results we expected,” Chirico said. “We will cut back on a number of these planned investments in the 205 collection business, and as we move forward, we will retaking a more… commercial approach to this important business,” including shifting the focus of marketing campaigns back to the more affordable items, as he said they had been too skewed toward the “high-fashion” consumer.

Chirico also called the jeans line, which relaunched in September 2018, a “fashion miss.” A spokesperson for PVH declined to offer further comment regarding the Calvin Klein business.

While the ready-to-wear line may be bleeding money, it seems that some of the brand's more mass-market products — which Simons is said to at least sign off — are performing, some clocking double-digit growth, according to a source within the company.

So why is PVH concerned about the ready-to-wear? Its expertise has never been in high-end clothes or accessories, so any attempt to develop that category would take time, not to mention extensive back-end investment that goes far beyond Simons’ own paycheque.

What happens now?

Simons' days at Calvin Klein are clearly numbered. But it seems as though the designer will show one more collection in February, whether or not the news of his eventual departure is announced before that. (Speculation amongst staffers that his departure would be announced this week were unfounded, according to one source familiar with the situation.)

It’s clear that at least some part of him is ready to move on. “I keep thinking of things I would like to do that are not fashion,” he told the New York Times in October. “Making movies, making art — the practice of making something. In fashion, the actual practice of being a designer has changed so much.”

What should PVH do post-Simons? Bringing in another high-profile designer doesn’t make much sense. Ready-to-wear lines and runway shows may offer the brand a halo effect, but this doesn't really compare to the power of Calvin Klein's former marketing might.

Creatively, it will be a big loss for the American fashion industry to see Simons go. Practically speaking, it’s the only realistic option.

bof

I think the only option to make the runway collection relevant is to move from the High Fashion circus and to enter the contemporary area...Or to go back to the old formula of CK collection being an exclusive laboratory.

So, the Kardashians don’t sell...
Interesting...

Ha! I have absolutely no pity for Raf in this mess. He bit of far more than he could chew. Didn't he question his creativity, strategy and ability to direct marketing for such a mass audience at some point and thought 'hold up, maybe this is too much for me'? I would have been worried taking on so much, and would've preferred starting small with proven results, and gradually loading more labels. That way you also have a sense of confidence and pride in what you're doing. That's what happened at Gucci. Michele didn't get it all since day 1. He got it after Gucci's current aesthetic was proven profitable, I'm sure much of the rebranding wasn't even on the cards when he first stepped in. This happens a lot in real life too where people take up jobs which are in some form beyond their reach or way too consuming. Was Raf Simons ever an image maker? Or better still. Was he ever attuned to what would appeal to such a broad demographic? The mere fact that he went for the Kardashians proved how out of touch he was. That family has been over for some time now, and before that, always embroiled in controversies.

With all that said, is anyone else getting the feeling that because he's refusing to resign, PVH is being passive-aggressive by making the health of their spreadsheets public, thereby tarnishing Raf's reputation? This kind of corporate revenge tactic is to be expected from suits. And in all fairness, whoever installed Raf (I hope to God you've not had your hand in this Anna) at CK is also to blame. He's not a fast talker, so someone must've either chased after him, or put his name forward as a sort of saviour to elevate the American fashion scene. That would be odd because he never had a strong track record. His overhaul at Dior was so so. And they can't even use the streetwear sensibility of his namesake brand as an incentive because that only really took off after he left Dior. Prior to that it was very much indie and cult. So basically PVH got what they paid for, which was fool's gold.

I would just resign with immediate effect if I were him. No more popcorn covered floors because you went to the movies last night and realised how American that was, or fireman jackets because you saw some in passing in your towncar. By the sound of it the situation seems very toxic. The new woman going over his head, everyone in his team in panic over their future? It's not good for creativity. Especially for someone like him. But he's probably locked away in his ivory tower, staring at his million dollar art collection while seething how the world evolves only around money.

Oh Rafs... The fashion world is cruel and you should know that. What a embarrassing situation.
The worst part IMO is that MGC is staying in his old chair doing the bare minimum creatively, can you imagine? I
empathize with his situation, but Rafs.. You have 70% of the guilty here, sorry.

But the management at PVH, Calvin Klein's owners, saw competing businesses like Ralph Lauren stagnating because of lack of creative innovation, while European stalwarts like Gucci soared after radical overhauls. Gucci chief executive Marco Bizzarri had figured out how to commercialise Alessandro Michele’s vision by giving him a seat at the decision-making table. The idea was that Calvin Klein chief executive Steve Shiffman, supported by PVH chief executive Emanuel Chirico, would do the same for Simons.
If the template was truly Gucci then the decision to dropship raf on CK is even more incredible... did the ceo of CK not note that Michele has been with the company for more than a decade, establishing a repore with design teams across two CDs? Gee, if only there were two creative design leads CK that had shown their loyalty for years and years while showing reverence to the house codes that made CK a household name... Hmm, who could that be... the more I read the more I’m happy this stunt appointment backfired.

instantly earned itself a place in American fashion history.

It did? Typical for the industry media to blow smoke when the obvious is there for all to see. :wacko:

Why Raf Simons' days at Calvin Klein are numbered

By Godfrey Deeny - 21 December 2018
It looks increasingly as if Raf Simons days as the creative director of one of America’s greatest fashion houses, Calvin Klein, are very much numbered.

Despite rave reviews for his runway shows, a huge marketing budget and the support of major magazines and movie stars, the designer has failed to ignite a major new generation of customers for the brand. Anything but: the most recent quarterly results for PVH, the company that controls Calvin Klein revealed that the house has been forced to heavily discount tens of thousands of apparel items in a drive to keep up numbers.

Moreover, according sources close to Calvin Klein on both sides of the Atlantic, senior management have grown extremely disillusioned by Simons, who they regard as high-handed and secretive; and not remotely respectful of the house’s minimalist yet sexy DNA.

On top of that, the founder Calvin Klein, is believed to be highly critical of many of Simons' aesthetic choices. Calvin is said to be particularly pained by Simons' dramatic overhaul of his famous flagship at 654 Madison Avenue. Designed by master minimalist architect John Pawson, the all-white boutique was built as a pure, linear temple of design. Raf, however, completely destroyed that concept, installing a series of gaudy yellow walls, woolly red hangings and primary color shelving by his fetish artist, Sterling Ruby.

“Calvin has not uttered a word in public, but every time he passes the boutique he winces,” sniffed one person familiar with the designer.

Calvin Klein’s board is also understood to have been dismayed by the power handed over to Raf’s former boyfriend Jean-Georges d’Orazio. The pair got together when d’Orazio worked in a Christian Dior Paris boutique, and Raf was the couturier at the famed marque. When Simons moved to New York in summer 2016, D’Orazio followed, and was appointed director of client relations at the Madison Avenue boutique.

In Paris, Bernard Arnault was understood to blame d’Orazio for having encouraged Simons away from Dior to a new life in America. While LVMH was less than impressed with the pair’s PDA, notably at Dior post-cruise show parties in Cannes.

Shortly after arriving in Manhattan, d’Orazio was on the Calvin Klein payroll and apparently deciding on expensive works of modern art to place in Calvin Klein’s stores. D’Orazio and Simons have apparently since cordially separated as a couple.

Throughout his tenure at Calvin Klein, Simons has kept his own menswear collections going, again winning plaudits for these collections’ novel tailoring and arty propositions. Simons' own February 2018 Bacchanalia show referenced Christiane F., an '80s film on teenage drug addiction in Berlin.

“Doing heroin chic might have worked at his own house; but it was not right to be connected with an American sportswear brand,” commented a senior executive within the PVH group.

Initially, Raf showed his signature collection in New York, becoming the single most important show of the New York menswear season. And further distracting attention from his day job at Calvin Klein, though he has since moved the collection back to Paris.

Moreover, PVH honchos were most upset about Simons' grand manner. Some lamented to FashionNetwork.com that in the land of free and home of the brave, Simons apparently insisted on not sharing elevators with junior staffers. However, colleagues of Simons denied vehemently that that was the case.

Though the board’s biggest lament was the fact that Simons disliked sharing not elevators, but his ideas with the commercial and managerial team ahead of his shows. While at Dior, he was obliged to keep the French house’s CEO and its chairman, Sidney Toledano and Bernard Arnault respectively, fully informed of any collection’s themes and development. At Klein, Simons more jealously guarded his privacy from CEO Steve Shiffman and PVH chairman Manny Chirico, apparently infuriating the board precisely as the numbers began to go bad.

Along with d’Orazio, Simons brought his respected and hardworking right-hand-man Peter Mueller with him to NYC. However, partly at Simons' insistence, the house dismissed many of the old guard design team at the house. Inevitably, the womenswear and menswear designers, Francisco Costa and Italo Zucchelli, exited. But more notably, so did Kevin Carrigan, a highly skilled designer who had kept the more mass and mainstream CK collection purring along nicely at retail, without grabbing too much limelight. Of the five heads of design at Calvin Klein when word of Simons arrival at Calvin Klein first leaked, only one, Ulrich Grimm, in charge of accessories, survived the cull.

In the end, however; it was all down to the maths. As the weaker third quarter numbers appeared, Chirico told analysts: “We went too far, too fast on both fashion and price... As we move into 2019, we believe the consumer will increasingly feel more connected to the brand as we offer a more commercial product and marketing experience to capture the long-term opportunity for the Calvin Klein business.”

Initially, interest was enormous in the Simons designs for the signature collection, and the number of sales points where it retailed exploded from barely 30 to almost 300. However, the actual clothes did not perform so well at retail. The very proof of that is that Calvin Klein has still not opened a proper flagship store designed by Simons anywhere.

Simons had been protected by his critical acclaim. He won both the menswear and womenswear designer of the CFDA, the Oscars of fashion, for his work at Calvin Klein. But, if he was so smart, the board wondered, why was Simons sending out T-shirts covered with the movie poster of Jaws onto a luxury fashion runway? Hadn’t they been sold for cheap in downmarket UK seaside resorts back in the '70s?

Calvin Klein remains a very profitable company, with annual revenues close to four billion dollars and earnings of some half billion. However, in the past quarter when Calvin Klein’s earnings before taxes and

earnings of some half billion. However, in the past quarter when Calvin Klein’s earnings before taxes and interest, fell to $121 million, from $142 million a year earlier, the stock of its owner, apparel group PVH tanked eight percent in one day. The kind of numbers American executives quite simply hate.

“Calvin Klein remains a very successful company, but if you look at the world through a quarterly results vision then, okay, recent events are not so good,” said an insider.

There had been reports that the board effectively instructed Simons to change photographers for the main ad campaigns, from his old buddy Willy Vanderperre to Glen Luchford, though people who know Raf insist that it was his decision, after being highly impressed by Luchford’s recent work for Gucci.

Whatever the truth, the brand is effectively a giant, profitable machine. Yet, compared to significant runway brands in Milan, New York or Paris, its luxury credentials are modest. The sales of its top ready-to-wear line remain puny compared to the likes of Dior, Chanel, Armani, Gucci or Prada.

Hence, despite all the plaudits and winning both the women’s and menswear designer of the year award of the CFDA, Simons tenure at Calvin Klein now seems finite. Most insiders expect him to serve out his time just doing the runway show.

His three-year contract is up for renewal in the fall 2019, but right now one is hard pressed to find anyone with Calvin Klein who expects the contract to be renewed with the Belgian designer.

FashionNetwork.com

some interesting bits of new information in this article

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
todayfendi
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->