Rick Owens S/S 11 Paris

a very casual showing by rick. insanely commercial collection that i can see ANYONE wearing. interesting direction for him. this series was very pretty and soft, marketable to department stores?

rick-owens-ready-to-wear-paris-spring-summer-2011.jpg

nowfashion

The greens are divine. I wonder if he has tweaked his "Teardrop" colour and this is the outcome....!! Such a wonderful collection, and I want everything!

Some of those dresses are absolutely stunning. And I love the shoes with the huge cuffs. I love the addition of the green as well:heart:

wow! i love this collection. i'm not the biggest rick owens fan but this is something else. maybe because it's more commercialized but this is rick owen + elegance. those skirts in the beginning.. simply amazing.

it is lovely. I like how refined and well-edited it is, yet still very angular and progressive. reminds me of his pre-paris collections, revamped for 2011. :heart:

This was an awesome collection of Rick's - very elegant and feminine, surprisingly a lot of floor length 'evening' looks that will easily make Raf Simon's attempt to channel Balenciaga's couture shapes look amateur-ish. Lots of backless halterneck tops worn over skirts with origami folds or long skirts with pointed trains. I also really enjoyed the ankle boots with ruched organza (?) cuffs and the hairpins, which (again) channel a subtle Egyptian theme... A welcome addition to Rick's existing vocabulary and a very accomplished collection!
agreed-
i also got an egyptian vibe...
and the sandals...(SANDALS!!!>>>)
they change the whole silhouette and make it much more feminine and sexy...
and probably even stronger than his usual clunksters would...
*a good sexy shoe has great power...
:P

rick does sexy minimalism...
a nice new direction...

gotta check out the video because these pieces must move beautifully...
anyone have a link to the vid?...
tia...
:flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
i really admire designers who can make very wearable pieces in such a gorgeous way. this collection has a certain simplicity to it, but it's a "non simple" simplicity, very interesting and, indeed, sexy. the shoes are great, too. thank god for rick owens in the middle of so many unimpressive collections this season...:heart:

He's toned it down a bit hasn't he? But somehow he still maintains the Rick Owens integrity in this collection. I like that he doesn't sacrifice his aesthetic for commerce.
And the draping is quite interesting, I've never really seen him use that. Has he done it before?

^ yes he was a notorious draper ever since his younger days :P
seemed to have cut down the draping action in the last few years, presumably because the entire market became flooded with it. imo he is one of the few designers who pulls off draping techniques amazingly; the structure/form is never lost within the process :heart:

Interesting shapes and mixing of textures and plays on volume.

Those head thingees were totally stupid* and normally I don't mind a little stupidity because the opportunity to snark has its own merits, but this is more than a good collection, it is fashion forward and while not technically haute couture, it this embodies what most people think haute couture should be. But then some dumb *** put those goofy things on the models heads and between that and the makeup, a directional collection starts veering towards an evening with Captain Kirk and his Ladies. Goofy style decision aside, this was a collection of 'importance' and probably the most 'important' collection thus far in the season.

*I actually like the second to the last one and the last one was OK.

ETA::
I like the all the shoes, although the ones with the puffy anklet do not fit, but it is not as egregious as the head thingee.

^ yes he was a notorious draper ever since his younger days :P
seemed to have cut down the draping action in the last few years, presumably because the entire market became flooded with it. imo he is one of the few designers who pulls off draping techniques amazingly; the structure/form is never lost within the process :heart:

That's interesting because it just goes to show you don't need to be a die hard Owens fan to like his clothes. I only started following him a few years ago and just his immaculate sense of technique alone is enough to make me like him, regardless of how long I've known about him. He doesn't need getting used to, that's what I'm saying lol

ohhh i love this collection. he usually has a much harder aesthetic, but i find this much more refind, and it has an almost ethereal vibe to it. i want to see how the pieces move!!

Those pictures from nowfashion hurt this collection immensely. I am not the biggest fan of Mr. Owens most recent work, but I adore this collection. I love how the silk canvas drapes and flows; it provides a beautiful hard edge elegance.

Diane Pernet

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xvtvi
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->