Sabato De Sarno - Designer, Creative Director of Gucci

It takes all kinds. I don't follow him closely on social media but the complaint (from some, not all!) seems to boil down to "I think his work sucks, it infuriates me that he isn't behaving in a way that indicates he's ashamed of or embarrassed by his work."

To me, the dancing is so uncool that I find it endearing. He wasn't dancing on the runway. It was a BTS video shot by someone else of him doing a little celebratory dance after completing a stressful event. Even if it's not to your taste, I fail to see how it displays anything about his lack of respect and lack of humility. The mood backstage after a show is almost always celebratory if it went off without disaster - even if the collection isn't well received. Part of the job is presenting a demeanor of excitement, "selling" the collection as a success. I know, I know... people here had the inside scoop that the team was soooo embarrassed by the collection, how dare he have the temerity to dance in the face of abject failure! Of course, people can laugh or think it's cringe-y and whatnot - fair enough! But the reactions are coming off as way harsh, Tai. In a now-deleted post someone was calling him a b*stard and a piece of sh*t. That's.... unhinged. He made a collection you didn't care for, he didn't kill someone.

In the forum guidelines: "Continual negative comments about models or celebrities will be regarded as trying to start a flame war and as such is grounds for a warning." I do think it's getting close to that point for some users with the relentless negativity towards certain people - Sabato perhaps being one of them. Strong negative feelings towards someone in the industry don't need to be silenced, but if it's just over and over and there's no real criticism it's just "omg what a loser a**h*le! The audacity to smile!" I think that's only taking away from the forum.

Last edited:
He has achieved something remarkable if people in the show did not care to record it on their phones. So, for the very first time, since the explosion of social media...people in a show actually looking at the clothes!!

A pity the reason for it was that the collection was so boring no one care about recording it...

Thank you for posting. Is there a really a possibility that his hands are tied? I don’t know enough about how it works inside Fashion Companies but as Creative Director you surely have the last word right?
Creativity comes from him even if CEO´s have a agreed plan of direction for the company but they are not creative to the detail, they might say we need to be more classic or more daring or more fashion forward etc, because thats what the market needs or based of merch Marketing etc feedback or just where the board sees who to position the brand.

Its like you get the assignment from the professor (CEO ) but you (CD) have to do the homework (your creativity and research) and the show and your ad campaigns is your exam and the sales numbers your exam score :-)

Sabatto is not made for the Ivy League school level let's say he can manage maybe a average college if not just high school that's it !!!! that's the level of his capabilities at this point.

I don’t think that by “closing his eyes” (dancing, embracing criticism as a part of his job and natural process of journey to, eventually, appreciating his work) will get him far away. People are rolling their eyes simply because he turned out to be a failure not because they don’t understand his aesthetics. Gucci was the only one show in MFW that finale has not being recorded by influencers. Silly little thing but tells a lot about the perception of the audience which btw has been paid to sit in that first row.

Giving usual benefit of the doubt and being fair in criticism has been applied here and I think he should be fired as soon as possible and replaced by a proper designer with a strong (however divisive) pov. I’d pay Fabio any money to come here and sort out that mess.
Stefano Cantino is now at Gucci as Deputy CEO
He is the ex long time boyfriend of Fabio while both was at Prada for quite a while, so your wish might be closer than you think :-)

Unless they hate each other now this i don't know Lol

What designer would admit failure and criticise their own work, or act depressed after a show because people haven't received it well? Like I genuinely don't understand this thought process, it's so unrealistic. He probably did his best, if it's in his character to celebrate with a little dance, who are we to judge him? I am in no way trying to defend his work, the fact that his best might be such an underwhelming offering of bland merchandise is alarming and depressing. But the personal attacks on his character are uncalled for.
Act depressed after a show : Marc J, Tom also talked about this post shows, MCqueen etc many have spoken about moments in their career post shows and reviews its not a abstract concept Creative people are sensitive and have a crash post show even when things went well.

I think what is perceived is the lack of self awareness and the control of his output on social media, while what he has been actually been hired for is not bringing in the results so people expect some reflection of that also visually some discretion while he is fixing or proving himself.

It's the cocky student that is failing his exam over and over again that the classroom finds annoying.( while i dont think personal hate is necessary)

VV at Chanel stayed silent and did her job, creativity is up for the debate, but sales wise people bought into the brand while she was driving the fashion direction, yet she got lots of hate now ...so guess SDS is screwed any whodanicing or not.

It's also the idea of deserving, as many could or would wish to be in his shoes and he (SDS) is not giving it all on the catwalk but instead on the dance floor.

It's crazy that at LV mens show even if it not my thing there is so many ideas and product for the type of clients they have and would pay top money for it, and the guy is a pop music artist basicly.

Shows that its about having ideas and something to tell even if it's not for everyone, people want to get into it and than buy into the products.

Now at Gucci its just products.

That's all it's ever been...
Disagree :

Tom even doing product it had emotion and a story of sex and glamour design and desire around it what we call now a vibe :-)

Alessandro give a lot of emotion around his version of Gucci like it or not it had many layers for different type of people ...Feeling Gucci even because a cultural phenomenon ... you don't get if its just product at the forefront.

Product is the final thing to buy yes but it's for everything we buy and consume, yet some brands or makers evoke emotions and dreams.

Yeah, but it's still a product. Of course they're selling a dream... to manipulate us into buying their products. We can't get too sentimental about these things.

Yeah, but it's still a product. Of course they're selling a dream... to manipulate us into buying their products. We can't get too sentimental about these things.
It's not sentimental (only) Communication, storytelling & marketing :

Can be sentimental but it's just one of many reasons/components for buying or using products , it can be emotionally driven or functional or economic etc )

Communication on what a brand stands for is also a practical thing is giving you info on if this brand name it's something that fits your need or life style or purpose, can i relay on it to come back for more things or same thing.

Its : Give me a reason to buy your product !!

I am sure people feel manipulated by marketing etc but one would want to also just buy from certain brands for other simple reason as style, quality, aftercare services value for money , nostalgia, reward, status, affinity, desire etc etc

He made a collection you didn't care for, he didn't kill someone.

In the forum guidelines: "Continual negative comments about models or celebrities will be regarded as trying to start a flame war and as such is grounds for a warning." I do think it's getting close to that point for some users with the relentless negativity towards certain people - Sabato perhaps being one of them. Strong negative feelings towards someone in the industry don't need to be silenced, but if it's just over and over and there's no real criticism it's just "omg what a loser a**h*le! The audacity to smile!" I think that's only taking away from the forum.
Really appreciate that you point out that there are guidelines - yes, even on TFS.
We all seem to forget this - as it's an incredibly open forum (which is great most of the time).

Sometimes i wish the Mods would interfere earlier and not wait till somebody has to make a report like in school when some devious action appeared. ikr it's not easy to draw the line as most harsh comments or even slurs also pretend to be witty and funny, but in the end are way more pathologically driven than others.

I’m sure we were all annoyed by someone we found obnoxious/cringy/arrogant at some point in school or uni, and b-worded about their behaviour extensively to our friends. But growing up is to realise that caring about it so much is just as bad.

Honestly what does this guy and his behaviour have to do with any of us personally? He’s not spending your money on these terrible shows and he’s not dancing in your kitchen. By all means, critique his work, but maybe we should curb slightly on comments regarding his optimism. As cringy as it might be, his dancing isn’t hurting anyone, belaboring over such non-issue is indeed coming across a little malicious.

Reactions: AVC
I think you guys are overreacting a little bit. I agree insults are out of place and I’m totally against that, but let’s say SDS, by his interviews, his IG posts, his reactions… has become a little bit of a meme, and that’s not that bad even.

He is a “public” person now, and I do think someone should know how to behave, how to talk, how to present himself to the world, etc, to avoid these kind of comments. If you do that kind of things, it’s because you don’t care, which is perfect, but people can also laugh a little bit about his reactions, the things he says…

To me he seems super delusional and he’s not afraid to show it (I love delusional people, don’t get me wrong). The thing is that when you are THAT delusional and the quality of your work is SO BAD, it’s normal that some jokes come into the party.

You are working for one of the top5 fashion houses in the world. You have a multimillion euro salary and you constantly come up with Zara worthy collections. You are not even capable of creating an identity for Gucci, every show seems different to the other, there’s no image whatsoever. Figures are going downhill. You have an open instagram and you upload a video dancing after showing one of the worst shows of MFW😂 I totally get people can joke about it, don’t get what the fuss is all bout, seriously.

Last edited:
You all are blowing this dancing fool comment out of proportion. What were they supposed to name the video? “Sabato celebrating during another successful Gucci show?” There is a video of him dancing backstage in the FW 2024 thread, and I’d argue that those comments were much worse than these.

I respect his positive attitude, but his behavior always signifies a “job well done” (documentaries, tears of joy, demanding applause, and backstage dancing). Its giving Kering’s jester.

Honestly, I prefer Sabato's silly dance, he seems more genuine compared to Pharrell's cringe faux pas humbleism

„Cringe faux pas humbleism” is coming from a guy who’s collection devoured Gucci’s pretentious twinky fantasmagoria so for me is justifiable whether honest or not. You can do whatever you like if you delivered your job, SdS might be honest in his silly dance but one would expect some sober damage control at this point and to stop making a spectacle of himself when people are literally hate his offerings (to be precise, all of them).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adrianadrima
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->