Seán McGirr - Designer, Creative Director of Alexander McQueen

I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt, too.

I’m really only interested if he can give the McQueen brand a bit of an edge again. Less polished and a bit more dangerous. That’s a big ask, and I’m not hopeful, necessarily, but that’s about the only direction the brand could go in that would make me care again. I always disliked Sarah Burton’s tortured sugarplum fairy aesthetic.

We shall see.

Between his and Adrian’s Moschino appointment, I’m curious. Mostly because there’s no frame of reference of what either of their work would look like solo. All possibility.

give the McQueen brand a bit of an edge

This edge can go overboard quickly and can be done so cheaply easily. Mcqueen's edge was always just with the showmanship, actual clothes were always well-tailored, polished and wearable. Can't really think of anyone in the present who could do that true to his spirit (other than galliano ofcourse but he has his own thing). I'm expecting high street "punk" versions of mcqueen with soulless showmanship that was made with the question "what would go viral" instead of "how am i feeling". Like what coperni is doing

Theyskens? Giles deacon? I understand fashion nostalgia but let’s get real guys!
The reason why I used past sentences…
I find it ridiculous to include those names in a current fashion conversation. I think Giles was very skilled even if he lacked Guidance. And to be totally honest, I roll my eyes everytime somebody mention Olivier’s name for a position! Let the man be great at his own brand…His work is not meant for the mainstream, it has never been. The window he had has passed.

I think McGirr can be interesting because he can bring the spirit of McQueen, the sensuality, the raw and sometimes agressive energy that was missing in Burton’s work.

Just wanted to bump this thread with some insight I’ve received regarding Sean McGirr & his debut collection with Alexander McQueen…

Feb 14th - his social media marketing campaign begins (show cases a dress to look like broken glass)

March 2nd - his first show for Paris fashion week in an abandoned building with broken glass everywhere using some of the same models Lee McQueen used in his shows (Kate Moss?).

From what I’m told Sean is giving us a punk rock, dark version of McQueen, not as romantic as Sarah. The show is set to be pretty theatrical like Lee’s shows. Possibly a new logo as well.
You were SPOT ON ! :o

I wanted him to bring back the dark and gritty vibe from the 90s so I'm digging this a lot. Perfect casting with Debra. Looking foward to the show.

I feel like in terms of creative direction, it may be fantastic, but the pieces themselves will not support the vision at all. The tailoring is already off and the dresses are rather shapeless, so I'm not expecting anything great.

I love the idea of that broken glass dress. I like the direction. And that redrawn logo is very beautiful. Let’s hope this guy gets time.

as expected... "edgy" accessories paired with the most basic and unflattering clothes. and the gays going crazy seeing the "edge" back. Can't believe it was that shallow to bring the edge back.

That mirror dress should have been cut to perfection and should have hugged her body lke a glove. And the mask should have been attached through some crazy out of this world contraption

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duckyjeanjo
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->