Sick of 'IT' Bags? Favorite Non-Designer (Gucci, LV, etc) Bags?

they all seem like they have something very close to a high end designer bag...i dunno, i understand being tired of the "it" bags, but if you're buying bags from a lesser known designer that just basically copies the basic design but uses hardware/materials/easier pattern shapes to cut the cost....does that make it better?

msminicooper said:
Oh that is nice!
Kind of reminds me of the Chloe paddington hobo because of the beaten up leather but much more original looking

yes it definitely is stunning. Hobo chick, rocker chick and practicality all rolled into one:D

I dont' think a lot of these do copy other 'designer' bags. A lot of them are unique shapes and designs. If you want a copy of a designer bag, just cheaper using different hardware you can go to any high street store.

jun3machina said:
they all seem like they have something very close to a high end designer bag...i dunno, i understand being tired of the "it" bags, but if you're buying bags from a lesser known designer that just basically copies the basic design but uses hardware/materials/easier pattern shapes to cut the cost....does that make it better?

they are nothing like these high end bags! Don't you know that most of these top fashion designers actually look to young designers and vintage for their "inspiration"?
Especially John Galliano, Marc Jacobs and Phoebe Philo who are reknowned for going to vintage markets and buying stuff to rip off - why do you think going into a Chloe store is like walking into a vintage shop!
One lady at Alfies Antiques Market told me Galliano is there nearly every week!
Can you actually give an example of which of the lesser known designers we have posted about has copied which high end designer?

Meg said:
I dont' think a lot of these do copy other 'designer' bags. A lot of them are unique shapes and designs. If you want a copy of a designer bag, just cheaper using different hardware you can go to any high street store.

well said. maybe they have less exposure but some of these designers have been designing bags before the current 'it' bags were around. don't get me wrong, i have 'it' bags too and love them. i just don't think they are the only ones with a certain level of originality.

susie_bubble said:
Jas MB has been pretty big in Japan for a while and has only started to get attention in Europe and the States. I love the way he uses different effects on leather, distressed, patented, cracked. Just lovely to carry around.

thank you so much susie! i just bought this jas mb from barneys (mine is in black)...i've been searching for a small messenger style for so long and i really appreciate your inspiration and info. :flower: i just wish i could give you more karma too!

1_61160_ZM.jpg

(photo from barneys.com)

Last edited by a moderator:
^Yay nycmom! Glad I could help. That messenger is adorable. Especially with the chain strap!

I don't like the "it bag" craze either. I have no problem paying for a beautiful, timeless bag, but the idea of spending $1500 + a season on a trendy bag makes me cringe. But if you love it, more power to you.

As much as I enjoy "it" bags, I just can't bring myself to buy one. I'd rather spend my money on a classic bag that I'll keep for a long time. Now if someone else wants to buy me an "it" bag...well, that's a different story ^_^

Looking for independent London based designers..

I got tired of the mass produced luxury goods after seeing lines of people have either the balenciaga or the louis vuitton speedy... which I craved awhile ago..

Obviously, they have to be on websites hahaha. Since I'm from across the pond..

Anyone?

i think if you like an 'it' bag you should get it and use it as much as you want .. even if it's not 'it' anymore and even if you see alot of people carrying it .. the only thing that makes me hate 'it' bags is the fakes .. fake bags really kills the joy of buying an expensive bag imo.

Not sure if anyone is interested but Charlotte Vasberg, a London bag designer does some v. interesting ones:

3.jpg

5.jpg

1.jpg

7.jpg

9.jpg

All pics from blow.co.uk (Her PR rep is Blow PR)

I know Selfridges used to stock her designs but I think now Harvey Nichols do. I'm sure there are smaller boutiques that stock her as well. Prices aren't cheap but the quality of the leather is superb - supple and v. soft!

susie_bubble, those bags are not for me, they look too complicated!!^_^

OK I don't like 'it' bags and to me the luella and the spy and the motorcycle are just plain ugly especially when you see them for the millionth time. However, having just been through all the links there is not one bag I love, let alone has me lusting like the Mulberry Phoebe in Oak. It is not to do with Mulberry, it is to do with the fact that it is the most beautiful leather and walks the fine line between slouchy and ladylike (I don't like either).

Most of the bags posted here are as ugly as the Balenciaga motorcyle. Susie those Vasberg bags you just posted are not for me either. They look like someone was gutted and left their skin behind in a heap! I do like the Toast Sidecar in goldust (no 14) that Greendrv posted the links too. Still it is too gimicky -not a bag that would last a lifetime.

Oh I just remembered I quite liked this Be&D (But in a different colour)
E0411830510742_v1_m56577569831197410.jpg

I also like the ghurka 'barrington' bag.

You come here and slag off every 'It-bag' as ugly.:huh:

And then you post a Be&D bag?:lol::lol::lol:

Ugly dosen't even cover it.

Is that an it bag? Hardly. I have never even heard of them and most laymen wouldn't either. An it bag is recognised by all and sundry. Anyway what I said, if you'd read it, was whilst I dislike 'it' bags because of popularity, I love them for quality -there is no bag as beautiful as the Mulberry Phoebe and most bags in this thread are gross.

The thing is- there are so many people here, hwo like and own Spy's and Balenciaga's, etc. including myself.

Hwo are you too say that they are ugly? I just find it very rude of you, this is a board of different opinons you can be nicer than basically slagging off every it-bag out there, while you post something from Be&D, a nice bag.

But, I can understand where you are coing from when you say you are sick of the popularity.

But that's the most idiotic thing I ever heard. People on TFS 'slag off' (not a term I usually like to use :flower:) my favourite designers, my favourite celebrities, my favourite food or whatever and I don't get insulted. They are called opinions. I personally find it rude that you've launched this little attack on no provocation.

ESPECIALLY as I was defending 'It' bags.

This thread was started because people didn't see the point of 'it' bags and I was saying how popularity isn't something to aspire to, but if a bag is better made and the quality can't be matched then that is fine. I think that of the Mulberry Phoebe even though I don't own it.

I am not only sick of the popularity, I am sick of the price tag. I find it obscene to spend so much money on a handbag. I just think it is wrong and I am within my rights to think that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->