Smells Like Grunge Again

Discussion in 'Trend Spotting' started by Astrid21, Sep 30, 2003.

View Users: View Users
  1. Astrid21

Astrid21 New Member

Opinions?

2. contessacolette

contessacolette New Member

3. Astrid21

Astrid21 New Member

:lol: Same here.

4. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

:shock: maybe the journalist speaks just about U.S. but honestly i simply cannot see the grunge link (either as street style or the fw/ss collections)

:blink: i wonder why/how he thought of grunge, MJ's Mark line was absolutely NOT grunge, more like 80s casual teen wear and all the bright colours were not grunge at all

thanks for bringing us the article Astrid :flower:

5. Cicciolina

Cicciolina New Member

Thanks for the article. I'm not keen on grunge either. Was that picture suppose to portray grunge fashion though?!?!?!?!?

6. Erin

Erin Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

That's what I was thinking...

If so, I can live with that. ;)

7. fashionablyyours

fashionablyyours New Member

Please please no. It was okay when I was 12 but not now

8. contessacolette

contessacolette New Member

grunge doesn't even qualify as "fashion"
    grunge is basically very sloppy way of dressing

9. Acid

Acid yes

:lol: Grunge is already MASSIVE in london......we have an 'alternative' town just outside the centre of london called camden

10. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

grunge? or sloppy acid? make this a bit clear will you?

London is packed with notoriously sloppy dressers anyway and its more a matter of non-style than a matter of consious style ;)

11. HBoogie

HBoogie Procrastinator.

Grunge was all greys and navy blues with an occasional red-and-black lumberjack flannel thrown in, definitely not this colorful.

People still layer things, and people are still sloppy, but overall clothes are tighter, the silouhette is MUCH less baggy than it was in the early to mid 90s.

It just smells like teen casual to me.

Oh, and there have been "neo-grunge" rockers ever since the moment Nirvana came on the scene. We're about in the post-post-post-post-post-post grunge stage right now.

(I kind of think this writer doesn't totally know what she's talking about.)

12. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

:flower: i agree on everything you said here Hboogie ;)

13. Astrid21

Astrid21 New Member

That's the picture it came with. :lol:

14. Acid

Acid yes

grunge? or sloppy acid? make this a bit clear will you?

London is packed with notoriously sloppy dressers anyway and its more a matter of non-style than a matter of consious style ;) [/b][/quote]
    its neither non-style or consious style Lena.....its just something they follow to look like their rock/punk/grunge/metal idol's :rolleyes:

i need to get pics :lol:

15. Spacemiu

Spacemiu New Member

Sounds cool to me as long as it dosnt get to baggy :heart:

16. pandera

pandera New Member

i can't belive they credited nirvana with it..

17. LolitaLuxe

LolitaLuxe Vision of Paradise

i disagree. "grunge" was a term made up by the media. there wasnt a signature color palette or silouette to the "grunge" look. there were staples such as layering and flannel like you mentioned, but there was plenty of variety. nirvana never wore baggy clothes. there were many youth subcultures at this time that came after / during "grunge" usually blending in with each other. so i dont agree with saying "grunge" had a particular color pallete and silouette. for example, skate style in the 90's dramaticly changed embracing hip hop adding over sized jeans with graphic t shirts. but baggy was never specifically "grunge" but kids starting meshing styles .... "grunge" to me covered a wide spectrum- riot grrls wore jackie O shades and capri pants, many women in bands considered grunge wore vintage clothes, baby doll dresses , round toe mary janes, baby barrettes [ that rave girls later embraced] sonic youth were considered "grunge" in the 90's they wore retro T's , cords,and other clothes from the 70's and 80's - a style and influence that is heavy in all marc collections. during the nineties i wore many, many retro styles from the 80's and 70's. not just flannel, and chiffon dresses with boots. marc jacobs as a person could be considered very "grunge". just look at him. his fave band is sonic youth. he was the first to put "grunge" on the catwalk with that infamous perry ellis incedent. i dont think "grunge" will ever come back. kurt cobain who is blamed for kick starting this was basically the second coming of punk rock. everythng from his music to attitude was just spitting in conformity's eye. untill it ironically became conformity. "grunge" was much much more than just flannel. it was a big youth culture movement that no longer exists. like punk rock it barged in with fury and died abruptly. after its "demise" other music / fashion styles came about. still different but everything started meshing. the marc line carries the feeling of youth subculture not just what is qoute unquote "grunge" . i feel kim gordon said it best:
    " marc jabobs designs american sportswear, except the sport is rocknroll."

18. pandera

pandera New Member

All Cobain did was essentially regergitate other people's ideas

19. Spacemiu

Spacemiu New Member

Amaizngly put Lolita :heart:

20. dancingellecat

dancingellecat New Member

Grunge? Huh?

What is grunge, who wears grunge? I know about it, but it's mixed and I'm not quite sure...I hear Kate Moss and MK are grunge...but I am confused.

:ninja: whoa ninja